Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building the Chevy II Gasser "The Boogie Man"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris dunn, Jul 19, 2013.

1. chris dunn

chris dunn

Well how I came up with my leaf spring location. First I measured a factory chevy II to get my distance between the holes. And my leafs are off a factory chevy II as well.. Now if I need to make spring a little long I can do so by making some shackles longer on the rear. Now as far as is the spring the right weight that a crap shoot.. Now ride height Quain measured his his willy on the ground and gave me the distance with a string pulled from eye to eye and then measured down from the string to tell how much his spring had compressed. He's using the same mono leaf on his. Now ride height my floater system that i'm make will adjust in 3/8 increments over 5 inches . So I can fine tune my ride height and preload as well. I laid them out tonight before I left so I post pics this week of them. I suck at spelling so if something is spelled wrong bare with me!!! LOL

2. chris dunn

chris dunn

Added some more bracing to the back half of chassis tubes are made ready to weld in..
    [​IMG]
    Got the back brace welded on today before I left. Hope to have the rearend housing done by Friday and reinstalled.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. chris dunn

chris dunn

First of four floater brackets made hope tomorrow to finish the other three and weld on housing..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OldColt

OldColt

ghosts.jpg
    Chris, Patricia took this picture off the side of a custom van at a car show tonight and asked me to post it as a possible suggestion. She said the yellowish face in the middle is the kind of Boggie Man face she was trying to convey with a pencil.

--- Steve ---

5. Clik

Clik

To me the Boogie Man would look more like a shadowy Freddy Krueger type.

Since it's a Chevy, maybe instead of a scared little kid in a night shirt it would be Henry Ford in a night shirt with a Ford blue oval on his night cap.

6. chris dunn

chris dunn

I like all the pics of the BOOGIE MAN keep them coming want be long and will have to pick one. To paint on the car... Here's some pics from the weekend. The floater brackets are done and added a little more bracing to the rearend by adding a 1.250 .065 chrome moly tube..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    floater bracket ready to weld on.. Hope tomorrow night...

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking good Chris I like the floater.

8. For your consideration,,Boogie Man. HRP

[​IMG]

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Somehow, I was thinking more like this :) Car is looking good, subscribed.

Attached Files:

10. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I would like something like that for the trunk lid, but I think Chris is wanting a scary Boogie Man. Like the one hiding under kids beds at night.

11. chris dunn

chris dunn

Got a little work done this week added a few more bars.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And got the boogie man on the ground set up real close to ride height.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting closer... now ready to reinstall mock up engine for the last time and make the mounts..

12. chris dunn

chris dunn

Got the front wheels in and mounted. Now we can get the stance right...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. chris dunn

chris dunn

Here a quick pic of the mocked up stance...[​IMG]

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

WOW Chris, the Chevy II is really taking on "The-Look" !

15. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Wow, great job resurrecting a forgotten drag strip warrior! Your doing a great job takin' the car to a whole new level. Keep up the good work, subscribed.

16. WOW, surreal moment just happened. Looking at finished pics of this fine ride and "Smokestack Lightnin' Saturday night Blues Show just kicked off on the radio. Music was perfect fit for the garage shots. Nice build and execution of original concept.
    What's not to love about these little Chevy II's ?? A few showed up at last weekend's Billetproof Drags Lakeland Floriduh. Even had a more door version. Thanks for sharing and keep up the awesome work.:cool:

JT

17. This car has come a long way from the pile sitting out in front of your shop Chris,,,the old Chevy is really looking good! HRP

[​IMG]

18. chris dunn

chris dunn

I want to give Gene Cromer A BIG THANK YOU!!!!! For hooking us up with our engine block 427ci tall deck. Witch we will be building a little more than a 427ci out of it LOL!!.. We are so excited to have something that came out of Gene's shop in the BOOGIE MAN...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. I haven't checked this thread in awhile, I've been missing out ! The chassis and body mock up look damn good, great job on this and plenty of ideas for someone to borrow.

20. OldColt

OldColt

Really thirsty for some updates. Guess I'll just have to rely on the cans of root beer in the fridge for the meantime. :D

--- Steve ---

21. I saw Chris in Greer yesterday,but we were talking about the activities of the day,,I need to drop by his shop next week and see how things are progressing. HRP

22. chris dunn

chris dunn

Well guys, I got good news and bad news... The good news is that I might have and deal overseas to build hotrods and be part of a new car company. The bad news is that I sold the BOOGIE MAN. Cause looks like I want be here to finish it.. But more good new is that I sold it to Quain Stott a good friend. And he's going to finish what I started. And lord willing you will see it at Greer next spring. It's means so much to me that he's finishing it. I'm going to talk to Quain and see if he will keep a build thread going for the HAMB... Again thank you for all you guys support over the last few months. Chris Dunn Palmetto Rod Worx......

23. Sorry to here that but good for you. I was looking forward to locking horns with you at greer next year. The ole girl will be in good hands with Quain. I guess our tour of southern junk yards after the first of the year will have to wait. GOOD LUCK in your new adventure. With the work I seen someone made a good choice. Keep Us All informed. Ed

24. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

We talked about this a Greer, I was wondering what you were going to tell the guys on this thread about selling the car to Quain. Best of luck on the other side of the world and send me some pictures.

25. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WELL ... That's good news & bad - sorta. Congrats on the sale & new venture. Good luck.

26. Well,today I stopped by to see Chris & take a few photos of the Boogie Man and he relayed the story to me,,good luck in your venture Chris! HRP

27. OldColt

OldColt

I really hope this build thread continues on to the finished product. It would also be fitting and cool if the car retains the "Boogie Man" name and theme. Did Quain also buy the tall block that Gene Cromer donated for the project?

Hmmm, wonder who will drive the Boogie Man since Quain does not have 4 legs and 4 arms at the track.

Has Geoffrey Graves enrolled in Gasser 101 yet? ... lol :D

Best of luck to 'ya Chris.

--- Steve ---

28. derbydad276

derbydad276

ok the line to drive the car for Quain starts behind me here!

29. Have you ever been at the flea market and you walk up to the crapper only to realize the line is over there and you are about 13th in line.... BINGO :D

30. No, Chris told me he is keeping the block that Gene donated,,he said he has no idea what he will install the engine in but he will use it in something in the future. HRP