Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Buick 215 Motor Mounts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ‘28 RPU, Mar 27, 2024.

1. ‘28 RPU

‘28 RPU

This is not my first post about this project but it’s a couple new questions. I am working toward installing an Aluminum 215 Buick in my ‘28 Model A RPU. I have never done such a radical (for me) engine swap. My fabrication skills and equipment are not super good (but I’m workin on it) and some aspects are intimidating. My 2 biggest concerns are motor mounts and firewall. Does anybody know if the motor mounts for the 215 would be the same as a SBC? Finding info and parts for a SBC install would be relatively easy I would think. I am also concerned about the firewall. I have been told by some experts (here on the HAMB) that there will be some mods needed for the firewall. I do have enough welding skills to deal with motor mounts (after I know what to do) but sheet metal? No way! Is there a firewall available aftermarket that would do the job? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The mounts will not be the same as SBC. This is what they might look like...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234193848990

you could make a pad for the mount to rest on, with a bolt hole going front to back, so a long bolt goes through one side of the mount, then the hole in your pad, then the other side of the mount.

You have to mock up everything before you start cutting and welding. Everything. Steering, exhaust, fan, radiator, body, transmission, everything.

dirt t likes this.
  3. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

The firewall issue will be easier with the 215, with the distributor up front. Do you have the matching bellhousing or trans (if auto) on hand for fitting purposes?

As for the engine block half of the mounts, those are easy, as they are once again available from the aftermarket. Click here: Mish-Mash Nash -'52 Rambler Wagon

As for the frame half of the engine mounts, you will need to make some. The factory '61-'63 Y-body mounts are part of the crossmember, and it's very funky looking. I have looked at Speedway, etc. at the GM style frame mounts they offer and they are all a bit too wide to fit inside the ears of the engine mounts I purchased. Granted, I haven't checked every option out yet, but most are too large to fit, so not sure there is anything off the shelf which will work.

5window and pprather like this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Do a search here on the HAMB for Buick 215 Motor mounts and you’ll see how others have done it. I expect you’ll still have to modify the firewall. A Buick v6 fits with a mechanical fan just perfect, add two more cylinders and there will be some interference. There were several companies that sold a recessed firewall that bolts in for 28-29 Model A’s

5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted on your other thread about the firewall mods. You can see in the pictures the motor mount. Here are a few more maybe to give better clarity. We fabbed block mounts but the mounts shown above could be used on the engine and welding a bushing on the end of the frame mount to take the bolt. Although my frame was custom made, it replicates a Model A frame.
    DSC05265.JPG DSC05266.JPG DSC05267.JPG

6. ‘28 RPU

‘28 RPU

31A, I also own a CJ2A and I have heard a LOT about Buick V6 motors and although I can’t really disagree with you about fitment I just don’t want to go that route. C’mon, think about it, an aluminum V8? Now that’s Bitch-in.

7. ‘28 RPU

‘28 RPU

I have the bellhousing etc for a T5 (I also have the transmission). I got into this because a friend of mine wanted to do. It with me and he has the skills I lack. Unfortunately he has been sidelined by health problems which forced him to back out.

8. ‘28 RPU

‘28 RPU

WUGA, I appreciate your input and I know you have posted a lot to my thread. The way my brain works (or doesn’t) I need to deal with the topics one or two at a time otherwise I miss things. I know that you told me what would be required for the firewall but actually doing it may be beyond me. I’m wondering if there might be something I can bolt in.

9. nobby

nobby

search
    a
    P5B rover
    or a
    P6 rover
    these run a round pin rubber

if you are going into narrow chassis rails, its the best situation

land rover
    SD1 rover
    all a bit big engine mount wise

otehrs
    mgbgt v8
    tvr
    morgan v8

import the short water pump from the earlier car whilst at it.

10. redo32

redo32

Direct Sheet Metal sells this recessed firewall. I think it will bolt in. They have the floor also.
    [​IMG]

11. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why would you put in that ugly firewall when pulling back the bottom is easier, cheaper and looks better?