Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bought a Poncho! 1949 Pontiac Streamliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koachwerks, Jul 3, 2011.

1. koachwerks

koachwerks

Awesome! Any photos?

How about Mayan Gold fender skirts?

Chris

2. koachwerks

koachwerks

In between working on some of the mechanicals I decided to rub out the paint a bit and apply some wax. Also polished up the hubcaps.

Water pump bearing is bad. I have a shaft number... Hoping to find a sealed bearing shaft for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. philo426

philo426

Wow!The condition of the paint and chrome are top notch!It was probably not driven in the winter very much.SD has harsh winters!

4. Dang that was lucky. Probably won't find much more original or nicer than that. I'd say some skirts and a little bit of a drop, 3 or 4 inches with about an inch more in the rear than in the front and call it a day for a little while. Congratulations on finding that car. Hope you get a lot of years of enjoyment out of it. I'm officially jealous.

5. koachwerks

koachwerks

Thanks!

Don't let the photos fool you too much! Yes, it is an awesome survivor, but it has it's fair share of imperfections all over. Some areas of the car show sings of damage repair and a partial respray. I'm thinking it will show more once I finish rubbing out the paint. But I agree, if I didn't jump at the chance to get this car, it would have been a long time before another one was available.

Status for today..... I'm not having any luck finding a replacement water pump bearing. May just have to buy the reproduction pump. On the bright side, I had a sticky master cylinder, but it was only caused by a bad return spring. The bore is perfect, so a new seal kit should be all that is needed.

Chris

6. skoh73

skoh73

7. What part of the state did your Streamliner come from? I am amazed that a car could stay here for six decades and still be damn pretty. People here tend to drive their cars into the ground in a few years, to say nothing of road salt and hail.

8. Stanislao I have that belt buckle you have as an avatar

9. koachwerks

koachwerks

Car was originally purchased in Hosmer SD (town of about 200). The second owner of the car (brother of the original owner) was driving it until 2001. I bought it from the third owner out of Milbank SD. I'm not quite sure how it survived so well. Must not have seen much action in the winter. I do know it was their only car up to 2001 when they sold it.

Chris

10. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Damn, that thing is a sweet find! Low miles and the paint came back NICE! Congrats!

11. ...I meant to say I was glad mines NOT as Nice as house...I dont have any pics handy and my skirts Are a different color...

12. House????...yours...damn IPad

13. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Wow! What a great Poncho! Don't find many in that condition anymore. :cool:

14. Ricky B

Ricky B

Great looking car !!!

15. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Ohh wee. thats a cool car. i wouldnt do nearly anything to it.

just lower the back a bit, WIDE WHITES, and a visor might look cool.

I wish I got my Poncho in that condition.... :rolleyes:

16. hemifarris

hemifarris

Your car looks like an excellent find. All it needs is finishing its clean up and lower it some. Amazing how nicely it's cleaning up. I dig the dog dish hub caps as well...................Mike

17. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

That is one kick-ass car. Would love to sit one of those beside my 48 ragtop someday!!!
    Good for ya.

48 Poncho

18. sololobo

sololobo

Whoa, what a beauty, these are one of my faves and this one is a knockout. Please don't get to crazy with mods, they are so damn cool as is. I like Jiggers little scallop treatment. I am bright green with ENVY!!! I was so excited I posted at the bottom of the first page, oh my god, after a little love the Mayan Gold is insane, those dog dish caps are some of the coolest ever seen. You are right, not much needs to be done but drive and enjoy this gorgeous survivor! Congrats man. ~sololobo~

19. Philbilly

Philbilly

Wow! This is a great looking poncho! Congrats!

20. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

I love those Poncho streamliners.

Like to have one... ... someday.

21. dunnkk

dunnkk

I stumbled over your car as I now know that mine is also the color Mayan Gold.. We also have a 1949 Pontiac Streamliner 8, but it is a 4-door.
    Sooooooooooooo, is yours a straight 8 and how many Mayan Gold '49's wer produced?

Will swap pics. I'll post on the newbie section.

Kevin

22. koachwerks

koachwerks

Hey everyone. Thanks again for the comments! The majority of you will be glad to know that I still plan on keeping the car pretty much as it is. Just get it mechanically right and enjoy it.

Tech update - After dragging the car home from South Dakota we dropped it off at my parent's place. My pops has a significantly better shop than I do and I trust him over myself to work on the safety related items. Heck, I'll admit it, my dad has much more mechanical ability than I do, so just about everything I do to the car will be spearheaded by him while I help out and learn. Can't go worng with some father and son time.

When we got the car home it was a running and driving car, but it had a bad water pump and the brakes were almost non existent. Initially our main goal was to get the car running good enough to drive the car to my place for our upcoming car show (search Hot Rod Barbeque Year 9). On Sunday we installed the new water pump and thermostat and installed new hoses. We flushed the engine and radiator, but a good cleaning still needs to be done. We also rebuilt the master cylinder and bled the brakes. Pedal feel is real good now, but it's not enough to lock up the brakes. Before I start driving it around I'll need to do a complete brake job. I am also lacking brake lights. Hoping that's as simple as a bad connection with the brake pressure switch.

Enough of that babble. On Sunday I drove the car home (4 miles) and started polishing the chrome. Here is rear shot of the car. I'm particularily fond of this angle.

[​IMG]

23. She's a keeper, as they say.

24. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Car is solid and SIC!

25. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I like your ass :D

26. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good for you!!
    That is a great find, and looks to be in superb condition too.
    ENJOY, and keep us in the loop on what you do.
    Cheers.....................

27. koachwerks

koachwerks

Jigger - Yes, she is a keeper! Take a look at how the Mayan Gold is rubbing out. She gleams! They say that colors can grow on you, and I'm a believer. The flat brown, spent pigment look was about the only thing that caused me to feel buyers remorse. After a few hours with some rubbing compound and wax I really love this color. Only the roof and rear fenders need to be rubbed out.

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. krooser

krooser

I just bought a '50 hardtop this week....but I really like the fastback's better....

29. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

WOW did that clean up nicely. Nice buy! As others said, wide whites, lower it a tad and run it.

30. Looks awesome man, they are getting more rare every day and the demand has been going up. Hang on to it for as long as you can, you will be glad you did. Take care, nice find, Rags