Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. I'm gonna try to like em for you buddy, but I gotta see it to believe it.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

On the fence but how can you say no to this. 20150121_142608.jpg

kiwijeff, Lynspop and loudbang like this.
  3. Made a little progress this weekend. Made a few steps forward and a few steps back. The back steps will pay off in the long run when I first started building this car in my head I wanted to put a FE in it until I looked into building one. This past week Rick got me in touch with the FE guy Robert Pond and I called and spoke to him on the phone this week and now I am switching directions on the power plant. On the steps forward I machined all the bushings for the leaf spring sliders and shackles,finished up the brackets for the rear end and started welding the 9" up i put new stronger axle tubes in it. This also changed as I planned on puting a Dana in it but didn't want to mess with gear changes when I run 1/8th mile with it. Pulled the body off so I could get the frame blasted hope to get that done this week if the roads clear up. Maybe in the next week or so I'll have the rear end in it.

Attached Files:

Pufff, Dog_Patch, beebee78 and 3 others like this.
  4. powrshftr

powrshftr

A big Ol 427(+) is NEVER the wrong thing to do Brother!:D

Scott

loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Looking Good guy's Not set in stone yet but looking like we are going to set the date for the first Greer race April 25. I expect to see everyone of y'all there, so get to work.

6. Made a little more progress this week rear end braced on the inside i dont want to put a back brace on it hope it works out like this and all the brackets all welded up on the housing. Front latter bar crossmember and brackets made still needs to be welded hoping to get the frame blasted and body back on the frame this weekend if the weather would cooperate

Attached Files:

Pufff, no1nitrofreak and beebee78 like this.
  7. Quain I wish we could make the first race but I will be pulling all nighters to make it to the meltdown on this one maybe next year we can make the first race also.

Quain Stott and beebee78 like this.
  8. If I come up there to help, will you teach me to TIG ? :) LOL. Looks good!

OahuEli and strokedstang331 like this.
  9. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

Look what came in the mail today. Looks like the Ole 32 is getting a W motor.

Attached Files:

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Oh stink now I am jealous.

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

Ho.Lee.Chit.
    That's gonna be one MEAN '09!
    :D

Scott

12. bigslim55

bigslim55

Jeff, I have a question for YA... On the original rear leaf springs, do you remember how many leafs there were? I was checking out some replacements & they were 5 leaves. On my brothers 55' he has a stack of 9 so it has me wondering?
    Jim...

13. Jim my springs are 5 leaf. I still have them if you want them you can have them otherwise they are going to the scrapper. I cut them apart just the center pin that holds them together and the straps around the few end springs but they are still useable for sure not all pitted up or anything. I had the frame blasted and it looks perfect not a spec of rust on it. let me know if you want the springs ill save them if you want them. Jeff

14. Jeff, make some square plates big enough to cover the axle tube, & extend on all sides to come in contact with the inside of the housing. Put a whole in the middle of the plate big enough for the axle to go through, and weld them in (0ne on each side). Then take small dia. tubing, or angle steal/chromoly, and make supports that fit inside the housing, between the front flange (where the pumpkin bolts up), and the rear flange, and weld them in. This will keep the pumpkin from pushing and pull on the mounting flange when you drop the hammer, and negate any need for a back brace.

15. bigslim55

bigslim55

I got to meet Jeff (strokedstang331) last Wednesday. Thanks Jeff for the springs & gearbox! His 55' Ford is going to be something to see when it's done! Especially seeing the motor roar to life! That's going to be so cool!!!
    I picked up a glass door Jeff got for the 55', still can't believe how light it is!!! I can see now how he cut so much weight out of it!!! It should really be a rocket down the track!
    Should be cool to see how the 55' progresses! It's going to be one cool car!
    Jim...

strokedstang331 and beebee78 like this.
  16. Getting a little progress done. Wheelie bar mounts welded on, more cutting weight, and cage started.

Attached Files:

17. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

That things lookin badass !!

18. Thanks for stopping more than welcome to stop back and check progress.

19. bigslim55

bigslim55

Damn Jeff your getting after it! Looks killer! Thanks, I'll definitely stop by again! I gotta hear the motor make sweet music when it comes to life too!!!
    Jim...

20. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

wow, you guys rule!!!!
    i read somewhere on this thread, you guys don't have a bender?
    i have one i made, that uses mittler brother shoes,it's hydraulic,runs off 220.. i only have the 1 5/8" $hoe but can borrow others if needed .
    you guys are more than welcome to use it, i don't think i'll be needing it til mid summer at the earliest.
    i can meet some body 1/2 way , or?
    i'm 35 +/- miles south of st, Louis,mo. if you guys need it, let's figure out how to get it to ya.

II FUNNY and powrshftr like this.
  21. powrshftr

powrshftr

^^Now THAT is awesome right there......Steve,that is stepping up in a pretty big way.I will be looking for you at the Meltdown to lay some delicious Canadian beers on you to show my appreciation for what you're doing for these guys!:D

Scott

II FUNNY likes this.
  22. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

sweet !! i'm gonna bring apple pie too!!! (my girlfriend ain't too happy about it though) ha-ha..too bad

II FUNNY and powrshftr like this.
  23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

We all already have our roll cages bent, but thanks...

24. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Scott...Steve was the first guy out on the track to help me get "White Noise" and its scattered TH400 off the track....I had never met him before that, so yeah, he is a stand up guy.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  25. Thanks Steve you are awesome. We do already have all our cages bent up we have a guy that has a chassis shop hes semi retired but still helps us out. He still loves doing it and is really cheep so we can't go wrong.

powrshftr, II FUNNY and beebee78 like this.
  26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Lucky bastards.....lol

There's a guy up here who wants $1200 just to put a 6 point bar in a car.

I'm gonna look into buying a kit and doing it myself.Or just not run one,and try to keep the car pointing forward,and not inverted,to the best of my ability...;)

Scott

27. Yea our guy only charges us $5 per bend and he got us chromoly tuning for $6.50/ft so I will have less than $500 in the cage but I had to notch and weld it lol he even comes over and measures it all up to bend it :eek:

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

I found a place online that has pretty good prices,but I haven't seen any of their work in person yet.
    Those are pretty good prices!I'll have to start looking a little harder up here.

Scott

29. Got my new timing chain for the ol ford today:eek:

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, no1nitrofreak and 7 others like this.
  30. I know what engine that fits...