Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blackie Gejeian officially ends his annual Fresno Autorama

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDR, Mar 3, 2012.

1. RDR

RDR

2. XXL__

XXL__

It's too bad he has to kill it rather than hand over the reins to someone else. I thought it was about the cars, and not the founder.

/flame suit on

3. I just dont understand the logic ... Blackie is a legend and all that seems its time to pass the torch, not extinguish it.

4. DrJ

DrJ

I understand that there just can't be a car show with every entry hand picked and invited by Blackie without Blackie doing it.
    That doesn't mean someone else can't make arrangements for the show date and start a "new and different" autorama in Fresno, but "Blackie's show" can't exist without Blackie and that's all there is to it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

5. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Blackie has always been Cool as Hell Man!

[​IMG]

"That's Amos Torsian and me in Reno in May 1946. We've been together ever since. We married girlfriends, had children at the same time, and in fact, Amos has a son named after me, Mike. I was never a smoker, the pipe was just show-off crap," laughed Blackie.

[​IMG]

via: Rod & Custom

6. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Too Bad about the show...but, I understand where he's comin' from.

7. Around 10 years ago Blackie was at our show in grants pass walking around with his grand son and and fell in love with my friend Marks 60 Merc out of Longview Wa. he gave him the then yellow card. Mark was blown away that he liked the car so much.
    I have that card in a frame at home. Mark said it was a show for the masters of our craft and felt the car was not up to that parr. I disagreed but as the builder its his call. since then I have talked to Blackie three times and never how but he remembers everyone if not by name then where your from, he is a fine man, I have only seen Mark humbled a few times but this was big for him, and rightly so. Much respect

8. I was also honered to be invited to 1 of his shows a few years ago.
    Really a "CLASS" guy. with a memory like an elephant.
    Everytime I see him he's always up and gotta a great story to tell ya.
    Thanx Blackie.

9. Blackie IS the Fresno Autorama. You can have a show in the same place, Same date and same cars but you will never have the same show.

An invite to "Jim-Bob's" Autorama wouldn't be the same. Blackie earned respect from the hot rod / custom community and it is a serious honor to be invited to participate in his show.

There is an atmosphere at the Fresno Autorama that would be hard to reproduce. That show is the result of many years of hard work by Blackie. It was driven by his passion and love of the cars and the people that build them.

If you have ever have the opportunity to speak to Blackie, You will find a very humble and caring man. I believe that the qualities this man possesses as a human being and a true "CarGuy" make the Fresno Autorama the show that it is.

This is a torch that can not be passed..

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Blackie is a great guy, he always has the time to talk to you, I remember 15 years ago, I was at paso fast asleep on the lawn, we had partied all night with the Shifters and Deacons and had'ent gotten any sleep, he walked over and woke me up and told me " what's the matter kid, you have the best customs in the world around you and you are fast asleep" I'll never forget that, no one has more pasion for hot rods and customs then him, this year I talked to him at Grand National, I agree , when he is around cars, he is a 16 year old in an 85 year old body, his enthusiasm spills over to you.

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I agree Tumbleweed Garage. The show can not be past on. It would be like, when Grandma died, and then the neighbor offered to host Family Thanksgiving dinner. It wouldnt be the same.

There is nothing stopping someone else from starting up a new show.

12. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

One of the koolest guys you could ever meet. I've approached Blackie at several car shows and he would always take the time to hang out and chat it up with up with someone. I wish him the best.

13. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I have seen him many times at shows walking around with great difficulty (m I offered him a cane I used as a hood prop once but he said "I can do it" and refused) observing cars and choosing the very best for the Fresno AutoRama. The fortitude he shows continuing to do this till 85 yrs of age is far beyond most peoples capabilities.
    This was/is Blackies Show and it should end if he so desires. Without him the prestige of being chosen will not be there.

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i got to meet blackie at the hotrod reunion in cali a couple years ago, what a great guy, and i got to hear a story also. my regret is now im never going to make to his show.

15. There are always guys you would like to meet and Blackie is certainly one of them. You talk about legend and history, he is a guy that has been knee deep in the hobby since the beginning. His work at the show will long be remembered,
    Thanks.

16. Thanks to Blackie for everything he has done.

17. If anyone else wants to start a show, go for it.

18. chromeazone

chromeazone

Disappointed to just find out Blackie's show has ended. I moved out of CA and lost sight of what was going on. First saw/met Blackie several years ago at Hot August Nights in Reno Hilton. He was holding court at the end of a crap table at about 3:00 in the morning. He was trying to make a five! Man, he rolled forever and everyone was screaming! I asked "Who is that?" Guy next to me said "That's Blackie!" He didn't know his last name, he said he was a show promoter. I ran into Blackie later at Oakland Roadster and just about every other Paso Show or wherever their were hot hods. Always smiling!
    Blackie did eventually make the FIVE! Table went wild!!

19. SlamIam

SlamIam

The cars Blackie hand-picked for his show and the way he displayed them were a cut above other shows I've attended and closely tied to his sense of style. I don't think anyone else has his sense of style, much less be willing to spend the time (and money) he did traveling all over the country selecting cars for his events. The quality of his work as a builder, racer, promoter and preserver of hot-rod history says everything about the man. He gave us all some great times at the Raisin City drags and Fresno Autorama.

20. The only constant is, change. Remember the good times, look forward to more and thank your god for the good memories, it's that simple.....

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well said.................

22. Traditions eventually come to a end,sadly this is a prime example. HRP