Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Best Michigan-Ontario border crossing advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadbill, Dec 2, 2016.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

3 of us are leaving here early morning Monday Dec. 5th heading for Kitchener, Ontario, Canada area to pick up a car and bring it into the USA. We live north of Seattle, close to the US-Canada border, we go to Canada often and know that there are border crossings that provide better cross over times with the least hassle. We also understand that our newly purchased vehicle paperwork etc. will be scrutinized. Prepared for all that. Done it before etc..
    What we have never done is cross from Michigan into Ontario/Ontario into Michigan. Are there better border crossings than others and where should we avoid crossing? Seller is 2 hrs outside Port Huron. Thanks for any help/advice!

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That's a long trip, must be a pretty neat car. Just stating the obvious, but you are on the right track crossing as far east as possible, gas is cheaper south of the line. Kinda "funny" considering that we sell you so much of the stuff. Go figure.

michael knight and brad2v like this.
  3. HiHelix

HiHelix

Being a native Detoiter and spending a lot of time as you have in Canada the only boarder crossings into Ontario to avoid are Detroit and Buffalo Ny area . Your best bet is Port Huron for this journey. Blue water bridge

Hnstray and flatheadpete like this.
  4. Gary in da UP

Gary in da UP

The logical choice is crossing at Port Huron / Sarnia.

Hnstray and HiHelix like this.

5. HiHelix

HiHelix

Also consider taking the ferry across Lake Michian. Its a nice relaxing break frm diving. The ferry will drop you off in Ludington Mixhigan. Enjoy and have a safe journey.

6. Fordors

Fordors

We went to race at Grand Bend when I crewed on a fuel altered, they checked our papers on the US side and we drove on through. Coming home the USBP asked for our documents. When we produced our passports as identification they said what about the trailer? Well what about it? You were supposed to have it checked and produce a manifest of what was inside and a receipt would be given to you for the return to US soil. Oh really, well nobody had ever mentioned that when we left the country but never the less it was our problem not theirs. They kept us for 3-4 hours while they did background checks and searched the trailer. Should have offered them some damn t-shirts!
    Just a word to the wise, ask if they want to look in the trailer before you cross.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Do the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. that was always my preference

HiHelix likes this.
  8. 2935ford

2935ford

Absolutely, use the Port Huron crossing.

We try to bypass Detroit/Windsor.....way to busy.

HiHelix likes this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Detroit is a nightmare to navigate unless you're really familiar with it. As others have already said, cross at Sarnia to Port Huron, head east on I69. It turns southbound around Lansing to get you out of Michigan......As if you'll want to leave!!! I love it here!

10. HiHelix

HiHelix

Raced @ grand bend for 25 years never had an issue . Maybe Im a pati
    Hey!!!!! I know my homes a nightmare but you aint gotta rub it in all over inter web. Lol

Speedwrench and flatheadpete like this.
  11. 73RR

73RR

...but it's cheaper to buy some of our prescription meds from your side of the line.....go figure

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Only did a couple of crossing and Sarnia was better than Buffalo where we were held up being foreigners. I found that gas and alcohol were cheaper south of the border, everything north was roughly the same price as here.

HiHelix likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

And now that the #$&@ing TPP is TOAST, its gonna stay that way!!! Happy dance!!!:)

slack likes this.
  14. HiHelix

HiHelix

Buffalo also know by Detroiters as check point BS

15. 73RR

73RR

No argument here.;)

falcongeorge likes this.
  16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What??! You mean you WEREN'T willing to surrender your democracy and national sovereignty to McWorld.corp??!! Man, picky, picky...:D:rolleyes:

slack likes this.
  17. Do your homework and make sure you've got your paperwork for the car in order before getting to the border. Not sure about Sarnia/Pt Huron (which is a way better place to cross than Detroit/Windsor), but here in Niagara we have 3 crossings (Buffalo/Ft. Erie, Niagara Falls, Queenston/Lewiston), but Queenston Lewiston is the only one you can bring a car across.

I've brought cars in both directions a bunch of times, but not in the last few years. I've heard things have changed and it's getting tougher. My father (who is a by the book, i's dotted and t's crossed kinda guy) got held up for 9 hours exporting a car a couple of years ago when he thought he had everything in order but the customs guy didn't like something about his paperwork. He had to hire a broker on the spot, which cost him $800. He wasn't too happy.

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Great information! We may even get a thread going on the trip after we get back. Pictures and all.

warbird1 and falcongeorge like this.
  19. millersgarage

millersgarage

depending on how you are geting from WA to MI, maybe go thru the U.P. and cross at the Sault St Marie.

20. millersgarage

millersgarage

21. Fordors

Fordors

All I know is we had trouble coming back in June of 2004. As easy as it is to ask a simple question I would not hesitate, it just might save some grief.

22. millersgarage

millersgarage

I go thru Canada to New York often, and the biggest wait is always coming back into Michigan at Sarnia. I don't know why, because when we get to the booth, it is a few quick questions and off we go.

23. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Going the Sault crossing route is a long way up.

24. millersgarage

millersgarage

how are ya going across the US? 90 to 94?

ok, i see that the Canada side from the Soo is a ways out of the way.

Honk as you go by Lansing :)

25. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

on the way north stop in at US customs and ask what they require to get back hassle free
    use the same crossing north and south

falcongeorge and gas pumper like this.
  26. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup

Yip

Uhhuh

27. fms427

fms427

Agree- Port Huron. Imported a parts car across there just recently - all you need is bill of sale. Only problem was taking the empty trailer thru Canadian customs - drug sniffing dog didn't like it , which meant we were pulled aside for more interrogation..... we finally passed several hours later ?? But coming back with the car was easy.... but do your homework on what paperwork you need.

Also crossed there many times with a race car and trailer. We did the inventory thing several times , but found really was a waste of time - guards going didn't have the time to do it, and guards coming couldn't care less ! Never was told it was necessary.....

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. uncle buck

uncle buck

I brought a 36 phaeton basket case across the main peace arch crossing in Washington a couple years ago. The hardest thing I had to deal with was waiting for someone in customs to wait on me. After about 45 minutes of standing in front of the counter the guy I had talked to in the crossing booth walked in. He found out Nobody had helped me yet and quickly called me over to the counter. There was one family at the counter when I walked in and I was next in line I might add. He looked at the bill of sale papers and sent someone out to do a quick check. I was on the road 10 minutes later. The most frustrating part was watching 10-12 people wander around behind the counter or stare at a computer screen with a blank stare the whole time I was in the office.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

afaulk likes this.
  29. In March I brought a Ducati into the country through Sarnia. I had all the required paperwork, which for a 25+ year old vehicle really isn't much. From when I first stopped to when I was back on my way was just under one hour. No hassles at all, in fact they were all very polite and helpful. The question I heard most was "That bike is 25 years old???"

FWIW I didn't even have the forms filled out completely which didn't phase them at all. Some of the info I had no way of knowing.

The Detroit crossing (ambassador bridge) was a lot more confusing when I was coming back from looking at the bike. Sarnia was the right choice. I have heard horror stories but didn't see anything like that myself.

30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Crewed on a circle track car in early '70s. We were crossing into Canada at Sarina. The customs guy was pleasant enough until he wanted the serial number for the race car. Now this was a Fairlane with a Galaxy Frame and a FE 390. Made up of so many cars you couldn't have found 3 pieces from the same car anywhere.
    The other crew guy was driving the truck and he was getting nowhere trying to talk his way in.
    The customs guy flat out told him, "If you can't show me a number, you aren't coming in." About this time the car owner driver mutters under his breath, "You want a number, I'll give you a number." Jumps up on the trailer yanks the hood open and shows him, "1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8".
    Customs guy says, "Thank you very much, Sir. Go ahead."
    I thought we were going to jail.