Register now to get rid of these ads!

Battery cables made from welding cables?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

2. Aircraft booster cables....don,t ask.I was using them on an arc welder at one point but they were too heavy to drag around. You could weld thirty feet away though!

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Wanna know a secret that ain't much of a secret?

Watch his body language during the pitch, stuff he really believes in, he physically grabs in the palm and talks with a lot of voice inflection and implied emotion.

Stuff he thinks sucks or has a BS sales line, he just kinda pushes it around the table or grabs it fingertip only. Watch for dropping eye contact, posture change, and if he looks at the product during the pitch, his voice flattens with a "fukit" sort of tone.

No joke. So what was he doing during this welder cable pitch?

Are you sure he wasn't using the welder sales pitch to include a back handed battery cable pitch for some regular sponsor that does make battery cables? Lot of that going on during the shill-fest.

4. de-fenders

de-fenders

using welding cable in my roadster right now, no problems!

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

They probably wouldn't like my use of out door extension cord (three wire) to run all my three wire trailer lights. You can buy it at the hard ware off their cable rolls, but check that price against the pre made extensions. All nice and cozy weather tight and one run from front to back unless you wanna get fancy with clearence lights. And since the parts stores don't carry or even know what 00 or 0 gauge bat cables are, the weldig cable is cheap, available, and effective.

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Huh? I won't be waiting for his 'further explaination' because he's pissing in the wind. He must sell battery cables.

Other than that, he's apparently ignorant of exectrical principalities.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  7. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Word.

8. I have been using it for Year's I had it on My Race Car along with all
    the Other Speed Shops at the Time
    We used to order by the Big Roll & divide it up between the Shops
    almost everybody had the Bat in the Trunk
    My Merc has it in it since 1968
    I also have the Jumper Cables
    just my 3 cents

9. dbradley

dbradley

Play a little poker do ya?????

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

Sam obviously has a sponsor who sells battery cables.

11. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Send them another message and tell SAM MAMMOLA to get his HEAD examined.

bobss396 likes this.
  12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

One thing you have to remember Sam was a Jaguar mechanic for many years and he really does know what he is doing BUT if you want your own TV show you have to have sponsors to pay for it . They tell you what to say and when to wipe your ass . So if you really don't care what people think of you then you will take all that money that the sponsors are giving you to sell there shitty products and run ! Some of the products are good but many don't help "our" cars at all . I can't believe Brian went from Foose to Sam ? WTF is going on with that ?
    Anyway welding cables carries a shit load more voltage ( 40-50v ) than battery cables ( 10-12v ) so you can figure what my choice is . Been doing that for a long time and hasn't failed yet !

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

'ya, an besites, that is whut th' insuinulation's fer, ta' keep 'letricitie frum jumpin outs along tha' way...........:cool:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  14. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

"One thing you have to remember Sam was a Jaguar mechanic for many years and he really does know what he is doing"

he has a Ford dealership in upstate Jersey.
    sells whatever the sponsors tell him to sell. (pays the bills)

I'm been using welding cable as my battery cable for over 10 years now in my pick-up and have No problems at all.

" I can't believe Brian went from Foose to Sam ? WTF is going on with that ?"

if your not the top dog, your view is never going to change !!
    so now he's almost top dog and he got half of his own TV show - couldn't do that with Foose being the Top dog and gets more $$$$$ to boot

only my .02

15. Muttley

Muttley

When I drove tow trucks we used jumper cables made from welding cables, it really puts the juice to the dead battery. Dont believe anything you see on TV.

16. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

18. 54 savoy

54 savoy

where can i get welding cable ? been wanting to relocate my batt. to the trunk just to clean up the engine area,dave huh? i know of a dave that may have a grudge against sam,lol..

20. JimmyBryan

JimmyBryan

At the risk of slight thread drift, this brings up a question I've been meaning to ask someone. Do any of the racers out there ever use aluminum cable? Copper weighs lots more, esp. in the larger gauges, and weight being a negative factor, I've often wondered but never researched.

21. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

22. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

The fine strands are the big difference between battery cable and welding cable. They make it flexible and make it cost more. I use welding cable anywhere I need to make cables. Used it on my 24V Childs and Albert starter, all the fuel guys do the same. If you flex the cable a lot, the welding cable will last a lot longer.

For ends I made a die from a piece of scrap and made a punch by grinding up an old chisel to crimp on welding lugs. I don't solder them because the solder makes them stiff at the ends and can lead to breakage.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got a real nice set made up out of welding cables..Ive had them for over 18 years..work the best that ive ever owned..and i dont lend them out..because they would definetly grow legs

24. I Drag

I Drag

Infomercial and shill-fest are good descriptions; the show is BS.

But I do have to ask a question, because I honestly do not know: If welding cable is superior to plain ol' battery cable, and is cheaper too (as some here have stated), why does 'regular' battery cable exist?

Not being a wise guy, it's just the first question that always comes to my mind when something is completely dismissed as inferior and easily replaced by a cheaper alternative (well then why do they still sell it?).

25. Of course it's bad luck to use anything other than the big sponsor's brand.

As Ford used to say- when you replace your tires, always replace them with the same size Firestone's.

All Chevies must use Delco batteries or there can be dire consequences.

Now send this letter to ten of your friends or you will have bad luck for ten days!

For decades I have used everything from welding cable to submarine-tender power-supply cables, ignoring the inevitible warnings from people who love to repeat "copper will work-harden" and other nonsense.

That explains why in all these many years I have never bought a lottery ticket and won.
    It must be those COPPER welding cables jinxing me.

Now send this warning to ten of your friends or you will have bad luck for ten days!

26. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

My guess is markup by each distributor that handles it between the manufacturer and buyer, and the small quantity of wire in each battery cable sold. Welding suppliers get it from the manufacturer and sell a lot of it. Auto suppliers buy it with the ends already on, in a package, and from a jobber or distributor. You have to put your own ends on the welding cable and it's on a bulk roll.

27. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

You have to play to lose!

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

because the battery cable is usually cheaper and most people don't know better.

29. Welding cable is made from many more strands of finer copper wire to be more flexible. I believe the "case" or insulation is a bit more abrasion-resistant to withstand being dragged around.

The automotive cable does not have such a tough covering, and is not as flexible. It holds a shape better, and does not need as many fasteners or supports as it runs along it pathway.

The welding cable, due to being very flexible, needs many more fasteners closer together to keep it from sagging along it's route.

30. Aluminum heats up more then copper, so to counteract that you have to use a larger size cable for the same use then copper. Another reason to use copper over aluminum is that it corrodes more then copper. Turns white and crusty. In applications where they run juice a long way and there is no concern for space usage(outside hanging on poles) aluminum is lighter and less costly.
    There is also a concern when connecting aluminum to copper at connection points. Being dissimilar metals can cause resistance problems over time.
    It is not as flexible either.:)