Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banging in the New Year. The January 2014 Banger meet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Kuul! Please share details, as the build takes on its way. :)

2. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

My coupe is ready for the road. Drove it over the weekend . Still need to tweak the wiring and secure the hood.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  3. VERY COOL! If the seller had a rear end for it, I would be interested in the gears :)

4. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

The fast four engine is going in a 25 t roadster with turtle deck. I building it for the ROG . I found an old pic of the dry lakes car I'm going to build. It's even going to get the name on the hood.
    I getting a good amount of top secret info/help LOL. on building the dodge engine

Attached Files:

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice car, any details on it? Looks like it has a mid 30's Dodge front axle. Bob [​IMG]

6. noboD

noboD

If you want a good goal for your fast four check out the Montana Dodge Boys website. They go in the 140 range with their fast four.

7. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Sorry no info on the car . It is an early dodge axle . If that fast four doesn't push the car like I'm hoping I'll use my model B engine. I had problems with the B engine but figured out most of the problems

Attached Files:

8. T__N__A

T__N__A

Cool!! a Light weight car like that should move pretty good with a fast 4 dodge in it. My uncle just built a speedster with hopped up fast 4. I'll try and get some pics.

I just picked up a 24-25 T roadster that I will be building for the ROG as well. Hopped up B motor and gonna try and run these "new" carbs I just got...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RussTee

RussTee

TNA nice project keep posting pic of it love the carbs

10. T N A,

Were those the Rileys that were on Ebay a couple weeks ago?

LUCKY DOG!!!

11. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I've been taking a liking to the bangers since joining the forum. If I could find a good rebuildable b engine I would be tempted to keep the banger in my a and not put the 8cm in it.
    Very cool shit you guys are doing.

12. T__N__A

T__N__A

Thanks! Ya these were the ones on ebay. I have never seen anyone running them. Hopefully I can get them to run decent!! It's going to be interesting, the throttle bore on these are 2".

-Mike

13. Best of luck Mike, and keep us up to date!

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

You don't need a B engine to have fun.
    Both the A and B have there good and bad points. Just find a good runner. Add some speed parts and see if you like it.

15. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Ive been driving my a for a few months now and I do like it. I want to get some more out of it though. I dont want to go hot rodding the current engine, I want one to rebuild and then keep this one for a spare just in case. One thing I dont like is the non syncro trans....Blah! But thats an easy swap.

Any one have a blue print drawing of an A or B engine showing the block dimensions ? Trying to figure out a few things but having trouble finding the litature.

16. They don't have an idle circuit,. Hard to use on the street, strictly race. REM tried to repop with idle circuit but project not too successful. Although I think Bob's problem was finding proper floats and that sort of thing. I have a side draft manifold for my 4 port that was designed for Riley's but I think I will adapt it to use Winfield's.

17. Try S O S S they have had various drawings over the years

18. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Hope these help

Attached Files:

19. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

What is S O S S?? im new to the model A world

What I need is a dimension drawing showing the placement of the mains, deck height, cylinder location as well as cam and valve location.
    Yea I know I could take one apart and measure it all up, but dont have one to do that with ATM. I appreciate your help on this.

20. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

oh duh secrets of speed society....

21. RussTee

RussTee

Bill dont winfields have the same problem I have been looking at making a remote accelerator pumpwhich would conect with the float bowls

22. RussTee

RussTee

check out Mitchel syncro gearbox or t5 gear box crazy daddyo has a thread on his conversion

23. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

have a T5 all ready :D But would they let me run it in the ROG?

24. Anyone have any input on wether a Winfield AA downdraft bowl on a B throat will be enough carb for a 6:1 banger with a SU-1R cam. Stock bore and valves. Mainly a street drive. Thanks. Matt

25. Sent you a PM

26. What problem are you writing about ? The Winfield carburetor was designed to increase power and improve fuel economy on "stock" engines. Race car mechanics found that it was an inexpensive carburetor with all three circuits controlled by its own metering needle so they started using them and away they went. I happen prefer S style carburetors (no pump) I don't think there is any lag in the operation because of not having a pump. Ed Winfield was forced into the SR design by marketing people cause everyone else had a pump. He never liked the SR carburetor and most racers turned the float bottom plate over one hole to block off the the pump. This information has all been published in the past. If you look at the Winfield throttle "butterfly" you will see a small notch on the "fat" edge, this uncovers the port as you open the throttle which allows you to accelerate from slow idle to speed with out a lag in the response coming off idle. I mean, jeez, ain't 82 in the quarter with a Winfield flat head fast enough ? No room for lag time there and that was with S's at 2.5 lbs. pressure

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  27. RussTee

RussTee

twin s carbs rutherford head they stumble

28. Does anyone have any info on a burns dual down draft intake? Will a burns '32 fit a '30 A motor?

Streetrods are driven by Chevy, but hotrods are powered by FORD!

29. RussTee

RussTee

will go straight on

30. Dual BB S carburetors on Riley 2 Port no stumble 84 MPH in 1/4
    Dual BB S on Winfield flat head no stumble.
    They do "stumble" if the engine/intake manifold are not warmed up. Intake manifold has to be almost hot very warm to the touch. We run the engine temp up to 190 then turn electric fan on. Will run at 180 after initial warm up. I'm sure individuals ran dual Winfield's on Rutherford heads. If your carburetors have a lot of use look for slight buildup of additive residue, some call it lead, buildup just above idle ports in throttle body. This will affect air/ fuel flow and cause stumble. Usually easy to scrape out. Winfield once sent out a letter about stumbling I'll see if I can find it. One recommendation was to go to next alphabetical size smaller float chamber but it also had to do with manifold temp. If your float level is too high it will cause stumbling. Too much fuel pressure will cause stumbling. I lap the float needle in and find they will work up to 2 1/2 lbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014