Register now to get rid of these ads!

August Banger Meet means...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Queen Lativa's hubby

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Isn't he a jockey?

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

No your confused he wears Jockey shorts

Think the guy will notice this when they wake up?

4. 650 16 rear 5.00/5.25 fronts I have had 700 16 on the rear of my 31 full fendered coupe with no problems. Uncut wheels on that one.

5. Don't you have any friends that own model "A"'s? Maybe just ask the next "A" you see to stop. Then take your trusty tape measure and WOW there is the answer. I don't have an "A" with an engine in it at the moment but will rush my project and see if I can find these measurements for you What steering box are you trying to fit? I have used both a Vega and F100 and had no problems. This was/is with a stock frame using stock engine mount location. I used to be able to measure in 6" units but now in my mid 70's find that particular "instrument" is only good for maybe 3". And that only on rare occasions.

6. This wheel tire/tyre is thing is a bitch, I have a set of 17" wheels in the pile somewhere that I just had to have. Then I traded 4 Kelsey's straight across for 4 16" "40" solids, just had to have them. So now I have these, to me, very desirable wheels that I had to just have. I mean, I NEEDED them! But now I think I will run 15" I discovered a pair of slighter wider Ford Pickup 15" wheels out in back and a pair that I took off of the front of a 46 front end.

7. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the info.

How about to the outside? Could I go that way?

What brand tire are you running? What size in the front?

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Are you going to run 15" wheels on the Modified?

9. i dont think the sedan fenders will hold much more on the outside either
    i am running excelsiur(spelling?) comp v front and rear
    500-525 fronts on 16's
    tk

10. Gaters

Gaters

I like the light brackets. Did you make these? Are they fit into stock chassis holes? They sure bring the lights to a nice height.

11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Those lights are at a nice height, I'd love to see some more pics of that roadster!

12. Gaters

Gaters

Mark,

Here's what I got. I am running a 32 steering box at the stock steering box position on the frame. From the lip of the oil pan rim to dead center of the steering box is 5" but there is only about 3/4" clearance at the starter right next to it. From center of the front axle to the front part of the steering box is about 17-1/4".

I am not sure how to measure the crank center to the top of the chassis. Can I measure from the center of the front pulley to get an approximate height????

13. Pan gasket flange is centerline of crank. Or rather the flange of the block is. At what point on the frame are you concerned with as the plane of the angle of the engine/crank 3 degrees, is not parallel to the frame. Now, I am confused!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

One step back, two steps forward :)
    I don't have access to anyone with a banger in a Model A.
    i have a pair of 27 Chev frame rails, a banger, and a Vega type of steering box, and a reproduction model A front crossmember.
    I need to fit the steering box in the right hand side of the chassis (Australia remember), and would like to position the engine in the correct height, so the sump rail to the top of chassis measurement will do the trick.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the info.

I love your tub.

I'd like to have one, but there isn't room for another open car.

16. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Dudley32
    I am working on the same ting today
    I thought about taking picture of the lathe work but I thought no one would be interested.
    I had a couple of A hubs I did not need so I machined them into spaces. I tried to take some picture with measurements but its hard to hold the camera and vernier at the same time.
    The spacers are 185mm od 110 id and 4mm thick with a outer lip to face the drum 5mm wide 4.7 mm thick.
    The id is machined back towards the outer rim on the side that faces the drum at 45 deg.
    This gives a flat surface for my 66 F100 rims, however the studs now catch by 5 threads only.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

17. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Stovebolt
    You are welcome to come and measure mine I am in Bentleigh.
    Brendan

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I'd love to come over and measure your roadster, but I am laid up with a crook back, and cannot drive that far!

I want to fit a HQ 'box, and its widest point is 5 1/2", 13" behind the centre of the front axle ..... if you are able to measure the distance b/w the inside AND the ourside of the chassis, I would greatly appreciate it.

To date I cannot locate a Datsun 180B or 200 B steering box, which would fit.

Mark

19. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

It is a bit busy in that spot and hard to measure, 13 in from the axle centre is 176 mm from the edge of the pan just in front of the oil pump buldge to the frame the frame is about 44mm, you may have an issue with the oil return pipe as it is in that area.
    Brendan

Attached Files:

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Brendan, PM'd you, as I think we need to talk

Mark

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the measurements Brendan

FYI, its seems as though you can fit a RHD HQ (Vega-type) steering box into Model A frame for side steer. There's a genuine 6" to play with ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  22. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Hey Sam, nice to see the car go down the course. It came out looking great. Thumbs up to you man.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Any one got any times for Sam?

24. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

We need pictures and times.
    Looked on the SCTA site and did not see any runs logged for sunday or monday?
    I've got loads of construction shots froms Sams folders, but no pictures of it finished, yet.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

25. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Sam's the Bomb Factory, yeah? If so, they posted 87.5 mph yesterday.

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I don't know about Sam's times, but the flathead T powered streamliner of Joel Young went 201 mph

27. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is a picture of George Miller's OHV head that he is building. Forget about the head for now. I want to know more about the block modification?

[​IMG]

28. Here are some numbers. This is NOT a stock frame but my Lakes Modified frame made of 2X3 tubing, which is the only car with an engine at this time. The height of the engine at the center of the pan, front to rear, is
    1.250" below the top of the frame rail at the same point. This engine is as close to 3 degrees as we could eyeball.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/90404002GZNDAk

29. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey Bill what year did you build the car?

30. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bill, thanks for the measurements and the link to the pictures of your bitchin modified.

I think I've got it sorted now. :)