Register now to get rid of these ads!

April banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Rich, we're interested. Excellent work.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I know where the head is. It's not far from here. But I think we would have to kill the guy to get it. Looks like I'm going to be cutting out another flathead.

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

can the head be fixed ??? ............... steve

4. Nice to see someone else making stuff. I have made several sets of caps for "A"'and "B"'s. The set in my "A" are made from a 3 3/4" dia bar end of "Stress proof" that I had laying around my shop. Are you planning on reworking a stock flathead if you don't find an overhead or are there aftermarket flatheads for that engine out there?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I plan to whittle out a piece with FINS. Don't know how anybody can have a hot rod without some finned aluminum on the engine somewhere. Here is about what I have in mind. My much posted '32 Plymouth with fins.

Attached Files:

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

2000cc Pinto. Bosch. Pretty much the same as VW. Didn't you guys see the first 100 times I posted pictures of this?

Attached Files:

8. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I haven't seen it before. That is totaly bitchin' Thanks for posting more Pictures.
    Have you run it in anything yet?

9. noboD

noboD

Rich, might not have to murder him he's got to sleep sometime! Does he have a wife I could bribe? Do you know if he bought it from a guy from Va.? A friend sold one years ago to a guy in Ca., it was unwanted rubbish. You can post those pics 100 more times too. And just for the record how fast has the Plymouth gone? What will the specs be for the DB. If I remember right it's a '27 block?

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The Plymouth in the small blue roadster (Upper left) went 113.752 at El mirage twice and around there lots of times. I don't want to start anything here but with the Y block OHV head on, it went 135 also at El Mirage and holds the Muroc V4/GR record. It should be in the arcives somewhere. I don't know where that guy got that head. I think I mentioned he also has a Roof 16 valve and a Moller or something like that. I wish i had one.

11. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I had the head repaired before. I don't want to chance milkshaking the crankcase again.

BTW: How long do you all think before the coolant residue is gone? I changed the original milkshake out, ran the engine ~10 minutes, drained and refilled with new oil ran ~10 minutes. I am on my 3rd oil change and it isn't all gone yet.

12. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It's easy to get out if you add 250mls of ATF to the oil and drive somewhere,about 100 miles in a circuit to get the engine up to 175-180 F and let the moisture boil out as you drive. Just changing the oil doesn't work as water clings to the inside of the crankcase ( the walls being cooler etc etc condense the water) so the ATF breaks down the surface tension and lets the water breakdown . When you change the oil it should allow most of the water residue to escape,that hasn't evaporated already. ATF is fine in the crankcase,it's under more stress in a trans and I actually add it to all my engines before a change to get rid of crap in the engine. Helps prevent lifter noise and other stuff.

13. andyg

andyg

I love this site!

14. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

my banger! i got it like 4 or 5 months ago and finally really got around to tunning it up so she runs good, and takeing a pic

Attached Files:

15. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Thanks, Ill give it a try

16. andyg

andyg

what a primo little truck...that's sweet!

17. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

thanks im happy with it, the mechanical brakes barely work so i drive it around were i work on sundays, ive got the brakes just waiten till i move

18. loogy

loogy

Dang Rich, that motor is great!

19. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Junk Yard, that truck is very nice. Any more pics?

20. I like that P-U did you get it off the H.A.M.B.? I think it's the one i tried to buy. You beat me to it! Great for you! Lots of potential there,Have Fun!!

21. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK Ford guys. Eat your hearts out. It takes a whole hand full of fingers to count the mains on a stock Dodge. Now if ARP would send me the rest of the studs I could do something about line boring it.

Attached Files:

22. d_Seymour

d_Seymour
    from Michigan

Picked up a B short block at an estate sale. New babbit crank turned have fresh rods no pistons. Prior to purchasing this set up was working on a Model A set up. Had an A cam shaft ground to touring. Can I substitute this cam shaft in the B set up in conjunction with over size intake valve 1.75 or should I send another A cam shaft for regrind for best performance. The crank shaft is not counter balanced but since the bottom end has been redone my thought was to run with out counter balancing can I use a lightd Model A fly wheel and V8 clutch. My plan was to retro B oil pan for model A flywheel housing and A motor mounts. Going into a 29 Roadster

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone ever seen a RECORD head on a Model A or B Block?

24. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

off to the races....
    [​IMG]

25. I once spoke to a guy from Sweden that had one. He said he thought it was a Cragar copy from Italy if I remember correctly

26. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

That was what Record did. I am not 100% sure they were from Italy, but they were famous for basically copying equipment from other manufacturers.

Bob, I've seen one. Good looking motor, for sure.

Cris

27. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

ya i got it off the hamb. it would have been hard to beat me i called the guy then drove over night so i could meet him at 5 in the mornin and make the deal it was too good to pass up

28. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I Like racing too

[​IMG]

29. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I thought I would timidly admit to being a monthly Banger meet lurker....I just got my cheap Sub Street Rodder and am in love with Jeff Eischens T Roadster witha Steve Serr Miller in it...then he puts those goofy seat cushions in it....Rich, I remember your Y Block Plymouth very well from my old El Mirage Days. Do you think it would be possible to build a milder version of it for a Street Motor?

30. RussTee

RussTee

hi from christchurch nz still a few banger crazy types down here too