Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone sell and stamp VIN tags?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodtennis, Dec 23, 2004.

1. hotrodtennis

hotrodtennis

Bought a '46 Chevy truck. It is titled and registered. During the buildup, the guy I bought it from took off and lost the vin tag.
    like I said, it is registered now, but have a guy who wants to buy it out of state, so it will need a stamped tag. Anyone sell these? Bought one years ago but lost the contact info. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!! [​IMG]

2. a few years ago some guys got the stamps and rivets . started adverytizing in Hemmings,did'nt take long for the feds to get all kinds of pissed off and busted em , NO ONE does it legally. some may do a reproduction of your original but you may to prove it IS the original, not an easy thing if you don't have it.

3. hotrodtennis

hotrodtennis

If I can find a repro guy that would be great! I can verify the vin numbers on the title through the state DMV. It is registered now, so hopefully it wouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the info.

4. In your case-I'd think your DMV could verify and re-issue a replacement tag since you have a valid registration.
    In Missouri we have what we call an issued VIN # tag for that purpose

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

6. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Here's a little story. A TRUE story.

About 7 years ago (not long ago at all), I was trudging through a self-serve junkyard near Long Beach, CA...

...there was a '41-6 Chevy pickup in there...

...it was a RESTORED truck...

...SHOW QUALITY paint job, with someone's signature...

...PERFECT fenders, front and back, they must have been NOS ones that were used...

...perfect cab...

...reproduction bed...

A beautiful truck. Only things that were missing when I saw it was the wheels and the grille. The rest was a very nicely restored truck!!! Nice black seat, repop and NOS pieces everywhere.

This truck was someone's pride and joy.

By now you are wondering why it was in a junkyard being parted out and destined for the crusher.

I found out that it got impounded by the local police for whatever reason. Maybe drunk driving, maybe the guy got popped after a cruise night with one too many beers. Or maybe he got into trouble with his landlord. Who knows.

But when it was impounded, they discovered that the paperwork did not match the serial number on the engine. That's right, over the last 50+ years the engine had been replaced at one time, and the paperwork was never updated to reflect that. Back then, the serial number of the truck was stamped on the engine apparently.

Anyhow, the police would not release the vehicle due to bad paperwork, and it was sent to the crusher. Fortunately, it went to a pick-a-part first. Everything, and I mean everything, was salvaged except for the frame and the beautiful cab. I guess the junkyard wouldn't sell the frame or anything with numbers on it.

I had called an early GM truck guy and he and his friends and whoever else saw the truck descended on it like a swarm of locusts. When I called the guy, I was just trying to alert someone that would save the entire truck. I didn't realize it would just be stripped for profit. So in a lot of ways, I regret not having bought at least the perfect fenders and the repop bed and resold them myself (and used the rear fenders on my project). So I have mixed feelings I guess. But at least most of the truck was saved.

I digress... the moral of this story is to WATCH YOUR P's & Q's and dot your i's and cross your t's when messing around with VIN numbers and paperwork...

especially now that Boyd has alerted the state as to the value of his 'glass rides, and subsequently the state gov't's are now eagle-eying VIN's on old cars...

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

ratrodmacs tag clearly says "body number". He can call it a VIN 'kit' but saying that doesnt make it true. The body number tag is sold by Snyders, Brattons, Macs and EVERYBODY. That tag is available everywhere. At Snyders, it is $1.50

8. old beet

old beet

Send a P M to "T P" here on the HAMB. He has located the rite guy for VIN #s.............OLDBEET

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

If I needed a vin tag I would get a plain piece of aluminum or stainless and make a few punches with curves and straights and stamp the numbers in from the back. It wouldnt take but a few punches -- a tight curve for 2,3,5,6,8, and 9. a bigger curve for 6, 9, and 0. A short straight punch for 1, 4, top of the 5, etc. It would be mighty hard for the steenkin cops to say your tag was not factory. copy an original. Ta hell wit'em. Ever looked at the vin tag on a 55 Chevy? Pop it off with a pocket knife and epoxy it to another door jamb. [​IMG] This idea is for 1930s and 40. By the 60s, the vin was getting harder to duplicate.

10. hotrodtennis

hotrodtennis

Thanks so much for all the great advice. Just located a guy and got it handled.
    Thanks again for all the help!!!!! [​IMG]

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

evidently he aint gonna tell us who he found [​IMG]

12. hotrodtennis

hotrodtennis

"TP" pm'd me and gave me the scoop on who to contact. He didn't post it for fear of getting ragged on. This post is straight up, nothing illegal here. Boring, I know! PM me if you need the contact info. [​IMG]

13. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I say what ever you do get it documented at your DMV and have a state tag put on it if there is one available. Playing fast and loose here will get you put in jail. Many jurisdictions interpret these situations as a worst case scenario and treat them as such. Even if you end up winning it may end up with your vehicle in impound for months and some legal expenses/court appearances.
    A good friend of mine went through it with his Harley. It was a 57 pan that he bought from the original owner back in the late 60s. He got pulled over in Sturgis at the rally because he slid his goggles up as he cruised main. Well it seems the original owner had to replace one of the case halfs and the stamping numbers on the bottom didn't match. Rob had even had the engine rebuilt at a dealership with no red flags. He spent the night in jail and it took him 6 months to get his bike back and get the Felonious tampering of motor vehicle numbers charge dismissed.