Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anybody remember this ‘40 Coupe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by dugydog, Mar 25, 2024.

1. dugydog

dugydog

Forgive me if anybody posted up about this 1940 Ford with Lincoln fenders before but I’m really curious about this car. I first saw it for sale at Pate last year, then it was on FB for sale and just 2weeks ago I was visiting my brother in Texas and it’s still for sale at Little Valley wrecking yard. The owners claim it was in a 50’s car magazine but couldn’t provide any other info. Anyone remember seeing this in a magazine?
    IMG_5996.jpeg

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It has a 40-41 pickup/panel truck hood sitting on it.

3. JD Miller

JD Miller

She's a beaut

Six Ball and chryslerfan55 like this.

4. Squablow

Squablow

No idea on it's history, but it's neat. Looks like a 52-53 Ford front bumper used on the rear, cut to follow the new fender lines, with a 49 Chevy license overrider in the center. Also appears to have had the side trim shaved.

I'd have to see a magazine picture to believe it ever was in one. That said, $4250 for a '40 Ford coupe with some legit old custom work done to it, which appears to be pretty much all there and very solid at least by Wisconsin standards? That seems like a pretty good deal to me, even with the history unknown.

Have '40 coupes dropped in value significantly in the last 10 years? Seems like a decade ago, nice finished cars were 50K plus and someone was making complete reproduction bodies. I figured even fairly rough projects would be like $10K. I suppose the street rodder crowd wouldn't like the custom work done, but to me, that's a huge plus.

Was anything done to the front?

5. Interesting. Hope someone can come up with the history and hopefully the magazine if the story is true.

Six Ball, Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. It’ll buff out. Hehe.

lothiandon1940 and Six Ball like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It needs a continental kit before I'd drive it.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. fuzzface

fuzzface

Looking at the roof it seems they originally tried to get $6500 o.b.o before dropping it to $4250 o.b.o.

9. Hard pass.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. dugydog

dugydog

Here’s a couple more pictures from the Pate show last year. I always thought trying to customize a ‘40 Ford Coupe was near impossible as the lines are so perfect to start with but the longer I looked at this thing the more I liked it. IMG_4531.jpeg IMG_4532.jpeg