Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anybody have pictures of mounting 1951 trunk hinges in 1949 Shoebox?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Getting ready to start on mounting the '51 Shoebox trunk hinges in my '49. I can prolly figure out positioning, but it appears my bolt holes in my '49 trunklid are in the wrong place for a "bolt on". I did see the thread where some fella welded in a mounting bracket, which it looks like I'll have to do, but the question is... has anybody out there already done this and have a write-up or pictures of the job ??

Thanks in advance..

2. Well if you think about it, it stands to reason the bolt pattern on a 49 lid would not be the same as a 51. Back when doing this was common we could get the deck lid off the same car we got the hinges from. Then there wasn't much of an issue. So if I were doing this Today and had to use my 49 lid, I would borrow a 51 lid to get the hinges in place then make the 49 unit fit the hinges. Wish I could be more help.
    The Wizzard

3. Thanks, Wizzard...... grrrrr.... I know that if I had access to a '51 trunk lid things would be very different... but I don't right now..... another path to follow, I suppose...

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used a set on my 47 Chevy to get rid of the exterior hinges. Didn't do any pics of it, pretty straightforward job. Weld brackets on body side, weld in "nut plate" on trunk side!

5. Thanks, Chopolds.. This afternoon I'll be reinstalling the "outside" hinges to get position correct, spot weld or bolt in the fixed side of the hinges to the body, and then scribe the hinge and hole positions on the inside of the trunk lids, then weld in the new hinge bracket bolt down onto the trunk lid... well, all that isn't going to happen today, but over a few days........

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I can get a pic for you tomorrow, of the finished job, if you like, but it's pretty simple once you lay it all out.

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Good start...going with a floating nut plate behind the trunk inner skin? Or just oversizing the hole in the hinge for adjustment?

8. Thanks, chopolds......Since I posted the last pictures, I set the trunk lid in place and scribed the oval holes onto the hinge brackets, then set some #12 sheetmetal screws in the center of the scribed holes with washers to double check positioning. I suppose I'll do welded nuts on the back of the plate, and if necessary, wallow out the oval holes in the hinge. Strange thing, though... for want of a better description, it's like the trunk lid is too wide, but really, just above the tail lights, the trunk lid "hole" is too narrow. The lid hits on both sides, and the dang gap at the top of the lid isn't worth a crap - narrow on the ends and wider at the center, not a matter of lid position........Thought I'd set up a horizontal jack and just see if I can spread the fenders a bit ......any ideas?