Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW JALOPY JOURNAL & H.A.M.B. MERCH!
    Hey fellas, we've just re-stocked the store with a couple of great new t-shirts, an incredible jersey, and just about the best damned ball cap ever made. Put it all in your wardrobe and you'll be the sharpest dressed man in the pits - that's a promise!

Anyway, to check it all out just CLICK HERE!

(To get rid of this notification, just click the little grey 'x' located in the top right hand corner of this notification box.)

Anybody have pictures of a 1951 ford 4 speed overdrive transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bikeguydave, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

I've got a 1951 Ford 4 speed attached to an 8RT, it has a seperate assembly attached to the passenger side and a seperate gear inside the trans. Anybody know if this is an overdrive or possibly a power take off?. I did a search..nothing, tried other sites too...nothing. none of my friends have any knowledge of this transmission. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry I have no pictures to help. Dave

2. cornfieldrodder

cornfieldrodder

I used to have one, it was in a '50, though. There was a 6 bolt PTO cover on the left side. The gear box had to be at least a foot tall. That's all I know about it, oh yeah, it was heavy.

3. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

This is on the right side, Trans is too dirty to tell much about it, guess I could clean it and it may become evident whats going on

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's most likely a PTO. Especially if you are saying the transmission is a 4 speed and it is floor shift. An overdrive in that period is a 3 speed trans with an OD unit housed in the rear extension housing case...it does have a protruding unit on both side, one a governor and the other a solenoid, but it is side shift in that period.

As it happens, I do have pics of a 49' up Ford pass car OD trans, but being technologically challenged, I haven't figure out how to uploads pics to the HAMB site. PM me your e-mail address and I can forward them, if you want to see them.

Ray

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

Thanks Ray, It is a floor shift 4 speed and from what I found, you are correct, it is a PTO, no need to send pictures. Thanks for your insight and help. Dave