Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anderegg Roadster TRIBUTE-MEMORIAL build and info, AMBR 1955

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats probably the trickiest area on the whole car.

2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yup......it is NOT supposed to look like this....this is cut, grind, chop number five in this area. Hopefully its these details that will make a difference.
    [​IMG]

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As far as I'm concerned, you already got that area a lot closer than the "other" clone, and its "make or break", it really sticks out when its wrong.

4. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I refuse to compare the two, VF did his thing I'm doing mine. For whatever reason he chose to not address this area, but pretty much nailed the rest, I am sure my commercial grill gets a few demerits, but the grills history trumps that with me. Its all in the spirit and good fun!!

bct likes this.
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Well sitting here watching Vanishing Point, thought I would add a few pics taken in the last few months, nothing real new as far as an update, just some pics that I really like the way the lil roadster looks in them....
    I really really like this angle, especially sans the headlights, bit of that what I consider Bonneville styling there...
    [​IMG]

And this one, I really wish I had taken the car off the stands, I had leveled the frame rails so it looks a bit odd, but I gotta admit, looks pretty good without the hood sides. So I may have to work up some sort of hold-downs to run around like this...
    [​IMG]

Another one of those proverbial rear 3/4 shots, but this time from way above instead of down low....
    [​IMG]

And for all the WWW on Reversed Mercs fans out there....pretty damn sexy if ya ask me...
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey now! Get those hood side panels back on there!

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Neat!:cool: yes I do also like motor showing,fun to be able to run both with and with out hood side or even no hood :D,to me a hotrod is number one the big hp motor and all the rest is what holds that motor in the coolist way possible=I love to see motor at lest now and then. As for ideas about holding hood top down with out sides,maybe clips from under the four corners kind of a bit out of site but you can get to them with out the sides on/don't need to even be snapped when sides are on there.;) Your rod is looking great!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    falcongeorge likes this.
  8. Koz

Koz

I'm cutting my frame apart for the third time to get my seating position low enough to mimic the Anderegg roof. It's all your fault......

Watching eagerly for updates!

9. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Lololol....well just so you know, they drove that thing with no seat bottom with the Carson flip top on it....just a trimmed piece of tuck and roll sitting on the floorboard! Cant wait to see how you do yours. Thanks for looking in guys.

10. daddio211

daddio211

Wow, now THAT'S a compliment!

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Update?;)
    just passing ideas;:cool:
    "Carson top"; Being a bit on the "MY comfort is very high on my list when driving" kind of guy,I think a spacer that could be removed for holding a roof up higher at back/maybe even a clear one for top of windsheild could be done,then jusy hide them at a show. That way there canbe nice seats ect. and a lot less butt hert.

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Hey yall...update, is no update. Life has gotten in the way....again..............
    Lots of stuff going on the home front, the commuter car has kicked the bucket, so had to purchase a replacement.
    Dana, as far as a top for our version, seating shouldnt be a problem. I sort of planned around that, and that was why our frame rails are even with the bottom of the body because of the 2" Z just behind the firewall, so that gave us 2" more space from the floor to the top of the body. I also believe my body is around 3/4" taller at the shoulders than the original car. Add to that a windshield that is probably 2-3" taller than the original's and thats a recipe for a bit more head room, especially if I get a tad creative with the shape of the top.......My comfort level was high on the priorities as well, but I have had to make a few sacrifices here and there to accommodate things that I wanted to "look" correct. Hope to be able to do some stuff on the lil roadster in the next few weeks, when life gets a bit more of an even keel. Thanks for looking in...

HEY KOZ...which car are you talking about, having trouble finding pics of your stuff

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. What a great thread I've enjoyed it vey much. Thanks

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Any new updates?

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just found this thread... '
    wow... inspiring. :)

Nice work man-
    Tuck

17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank you guys very very much, very humbling Tuck, thanks.

Well I am back on this from a hiatus of sorts.

Things have settled in with the new job, and this coming September will be 5 years on this. 3 years too long, in my opinion, but at the outset I would have never guessed this type of a build would have been and is so involved. Creating parts, designing and engineering door hinges, ect. making sure things will work and work with other components and all during that process ensuring that what ever you do wont fall off at 65 mph down the freeway. I am certain along the way I have made things harder on myself than I could have, but I have tried real hard to stay true to the original car the best I could and maybe improve on it just a bit in the process. We are still on a strict budget, maybe even now more than ever, and that may show in a few areas, but hopefully not diminish the value of our build. Even after its on the road, I hope to continually improve on things as money allows.

So no real pics just yet of whats been going on, but I have been busy, getting the last few details done on the engine as I hope to have the engine fired up by the end of the month, and all the wiring done in the process. I can then get a good driveshaft measurement, and yank the engine and tranny so I can finish up prepping the firewall and floor for paint.

Lots of grinding, and finishing up of the welds on the hairpins, pitman arm, and cleaning up the front axle of misc. holes and brackets that were there when I got it. I fabbed the curved braces that the original car had on the steering arm and am in the process of stripping and cleaning all the brake drums and backing plates.

Little by little its getting there, and I think I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.....its faint....but its there.

Stay tuned...

(ps Ryan, hope to renew my alliance here real soon...even saving pennies for that as of late:D)

dana barlow likes this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

So I been looking in now an then,here is a small fire under you,I wish not burn ya too much,just get ya moving again,only you know what I'm showing here really,,,but here's my "no high $ chrome at all front end,done the low $ way" after a few months of running around town ,just to let ya know it holding up. I did get my stainless steel bolts finiely polished up an added back too my backing plates after this photo. IMAG0928.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  19. Here's a pic of the original car at a car show held at Camp San Luis Obispo in May of 1959:

May 1959 Car Show at Camp San Luis Obispo.jpg
    image from @fuely32's archives

falcongeorge and dana barlow like this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Hemi32,,Really great photo. So many cars in it that I remeber from my magazins back then,even though I'm east coast/Miami Fl. those mag.s were the bond for all us old rodders

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

1952 Winner still being worked on in Northern Calif by 80 year old gent DSCN7594.JPG DSCN7587.JPG DSCN7586.JPG DSCN7588.JPG

22. THIS thread is f#kn' awesome. Cannot believe I missed this. Bump anytime please and thanks. Grrrreatness !

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank you so much for the very nice comment, it and your enthusiasm are very flattering.
    Even though I dont get to work on the roadster as much as I would like, it seems I am constantly doing something relating to it, whether its plotting and planning, research, trying to figure out where the next dollar for it is going to come from or gathering parts, and or tools for the build. Which takes me to the latest development in the build of the lil roadster. After saving my pennies, I have finally purchased a portable upholstery walking foot sewing machine. As stated, my intent is to do as much of the work on this as possible and the upholstery is another one of the areas I want to learn and accomplish. I spent last weekend building a desk and work area for it, and here is what I came up with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have had a tiny distraction in the form of restoring a vintage go kart, and also fabbing up a second on, so when my grandson comes this summer we can have some karting fun.

Making the cushions for the karts should help with some basics of upholstery.
    Oh, by the way, here is the kart I restored just for gee whizzes.
    [​IMG]

I did all the work on it myself as well, including the seat.

Stay tuned folks, hope to have a bit of progress soon.

And for those that dont know....George Barris was a big car show promoter in the 50s and 60s, and he would invite and even transport various cars of his choosing during that time. The original roadster was one of those in 1959 and 1960. After the rebuild, and getting the gold paint it attended many of those shows under the care of George. The show pictured above in Hemi 32's post was one of them I believe, along with Pasadena and San Mateo. I believe I had also stated that he had photographed the car for all the magazine articles in 59 and 60.

Thanks again!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As you know Louie, I have probably spent more time looking at the original and at your tribute than just about any other two cars over the last 5 yrs or so, and it still just blows my mind just how radically he re-shaped this area, and just how subtle his work on this part of the car really was. Guy had one hell of an eye, and I doubt he just "fluked" into it. Man, thats some serious metal shaping your uncle Ray did there...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  26. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Glad to see you guys still looking in every so often on the roadster....
    It seems life is constantly in the way in some form with getting things done on this, but I really need to finish this.
    A few months ago, I decided to trailer it to a local car show just for gee whizzes and we had a great time and folks really liked seeing the car and seeing the photos that I have been gathering. Folks love the family history and connection. But today, I decided to blow the lil roadster apart one more time to get it ready for paint, so thats what I'm doing. I have a bit of welding to do on the frame, and need to finish up the passenger door, and finish the truck lid. It was nice to be back working on it, even if it seems progress was going backwards....but I know better, thats just the way it goes with these builds at times. Thanks again for looking in. Onward and upward!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. dana barlow likes this.
  29. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Looking great- really dig this project.