Register now to get rid of these ads!

America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Agent Provocateur

Agent Provocateur
    BANNED

Cool cars don't need no stinkin' trophies and 'winning' a trophy doesn't suddenly make a car cool.

2. Gerg

Gerg

power to the HAMB i love the idea!

Maybe then we can have a car to drool over instead of bash for 10 pages

3. Why not just call it the "HAMB Choice Award". That way it could be a Roadster,Coupe,racecar,Custom,etc. Why pidgeon hole it. In my opinion,Evel's Coupe,Sloppysecond's Coupe,Dan Collin's Modified,or Bass's Chevy,could have all won! Not to mention many other cars that were at the show. The Suede Palace has trophies that are sponsored by different clubs or special guests,i'm sure Axle would jump at the chance to give out an award that represents the kind of cars we appreciate. The car wouldn't have to be in the Suede Palace either. I'd say we should promote this at the shows that we frequently go to.
    Billetproof
    Primer Nats
    Viva
    Roundup
    Back to the Beach
    Revolution
    HAMB Drags(of cousre)

I'm sure there is more than that,but it would pretty much be up to Ryan,since the award would bare the HAMB name. I don't know how many times i've seen a "Most Traditional" award go to something that wasn't worthy of it. That's why I said to call it the HAMB Choice and nothing about "traditional". There are many cars out there that have newer engines or radials,etc,but stand way above the other cars at the shows.

I"M ALL FOR IT!!!!

4. Cool....NO!
    Appreciated....YES!!!

5. paintcan54

paintcan54

I would have to agree with Eagletucky, as the concept sounds cool. I don't think the people donig the show and even the winner of the award would think so. Just my 2 cents.

6. I can't wait to see how it's going to develop... I like the idea. Better than sitting on our asses and complaining. WD40

7. RF

RF

I'm sensing a bit o' John Lydon in your tone...

Anyway, never said I didn't like the idea either. Musn't be as much need for a devil's advocate these days...

8. henryj429

henryj429

Ryan, you've hit the nail on the head with your idea. With all of the positive feedback great ideas posted on this thread you have a lot to work with! Count me in on the voting!

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Yep, Awesome idea! I'm behind ya 100%

10. KomptonKid

KomptonKid

Simple and straightforward solution, usually what a great idea is. The possible problem I see with the promoters is simply the size and clout of the HAMB- the award would potentially have the effect of overwhelming, or at least significantly detracting from, the actual AMBR. Have no idea what legalities are involved, or if anyone cares, but it might be wise to somehow emphasize the difference of the award, perhaps by stressing the traditional and aesthetic basis. This might smooth out the case for the awards to exist side-by, especially if it takes off like it very well may. 40,000 rodders can't be wrong, right?

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think the whole purpose of a HAMB award should be to show the winner that his work was appreciated by people who get it. It should never be about, "Hey, it's from the HAMB! Give us a pat on the back!" If that happens, the award will be just as foolish and lame as the car that won AMBR this year.

Perhaps, after the show is about to shut down and folks are beginning to pack their stuff, walk up to the owner of the car selected, give him the trophy, tell him or her why they are getting it, ASK to have a photo or two taken and then leave. A nice simple gesture that will be remembered by the owner forever. Let HIM spread the word. If his car was in the running, it will get attention and the owner will more than likely mention his mystery trophy. The word will get around. The AMBR people are not going to change what makes money and unfortunately, cars like this years winner make money, for now. Let the word and the HAMB's message spread on it's own merit. The best and most successful revolutions are the ones started with a spark, not a bang.

12. Sounds like a great idea to me Ryan, fwiw. Let's give some props to a car guy or gal from car guys and gals.

Oh, BTW, some of us do know what you look like but we're not the stalker type. That is unless you can lead us to some ultra secret vintage speed parts stash ;-)

13. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

I like the idea of the H.A.M.B. members picking what we think is the the M.B.R. I wonder if the wheel makers all starting pushing 12" tall wheels ,would next years winner have them?

14. NEXT years winner? I hate to think of what will win next year. Something with spinners?

15. Power to the People!
    I think its a great idea... the Round Up has always had a HAMB award hand picked by Ryan - and we always have other outsider folks who make their picks every year - based on their tastes and what really moves them, not a big list of criteria. It makes it more interesting to me, because I never know what someone will pick - and alot of times somebody sees something really interesting that I might miss. Our deal isn't really about trophies, tho - so in some ways the comparison is tough - but when you've got multi-million dollar budgets and big name design teams - it feels more like a big trade show that a hot rod thing.

I think there are some amazing traditional styled rides at this show that are getting overlooked, and this is really just a way to reward their efforts. Bravo!

16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

This cracks me up.. hahaha :D

After wading through all of these opinions, soap box rants, whatever.... That was a refreshing, funny comment.

So, I'm also gonna throw my $.02 in.

I really don't care about the AMBR award. The type of cars that win the award these days aren't what we are in to, so why should we care?
    Sure, the cars that won the award "back in the day" were our type of cars. That's why we frequent this forum.

However, it would be cool to recognize an outstanding traditional car at the GNRS. Let the current AMBR award be what it is and move on.
    That really seems like the consensus here, am I wrong?

Malcolm

17. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

Great..great...great

18. Ryan is like a hot roddin' Keyser Söze - everywhere and nowhere at once...

[​IMG]

where are the Knowbodys when you need them?

19. premium

premium
    from Goergia

yup!!. sounds like a plan. wow. all the work time and money that went into that beige wonder, and it sill kinda looks like shit.. ouch

20. rbroadster

rbroadster

Ryan,

If this goes down, one word of warning......

Looks like you'll need an upgrade to the server.

Almost 200 replies in a little over 8 hours just discussing the issue.

Imagine the response when the voting actually starts!! :eek:

- RBR

21. Nowhere

22. Brandi

Brandi

Hell yes! Viva la HAMB!!

23. Fantastic idea.

I vote for this car for the Hamb's Most Beautiful Roadster...

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

25. Hmmm... Current fashion dictates big billet wheels and smoothy bodies. But AMBR-winning styles come and go.

What if the AMBR judges and the HAMB judges pick the same car? Will a bunch of young greaser punks revolt-- claiming we've lost our collective souls and sold out to the man?

Maybe they'll create their own counter-outlaw trophy... ;)

Enough talk. I'll be out in my garage, creating my GMBHR* winner.

*Gary's Most Beautiful Hot Rod

26. Barn-core

Barn-core

F'n awesome. This is the best idea I've heard in a long time.

27. Those are great,but this one has my vote!!!

[​IMG]

28. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

29. Clark

Clark

Ok..I hate to be a stick in the mud but a HAMBer's car would have an unfair advantage in this...politics wether you like it or not. Just like the big boys get votes cause they are part of that circle...a HAMBer would get votes cause they're part of this circle. It may not be intentional but it's the way it is.

Great idea but getting past that part is gonna be tough.

If I had a vote on this years AMBR I would put it between the Ala Kart...being a show car or the roadster with the Riley...being more of a hot rod. Dorr's car, the AV8 roadster and the roadster with the Firestone block treads were also some of my favorites.

Now go back a few years...the car Foose built was a NICE car. the color may have sucked but I would bet that was the nicest car there.Would the HAMB have voted for it?? Doubt it!

This year just seemed like a bad year for contenders. Basically you had the gold POS and the Ala Kart. The rest were not really cars I would see as contenders. Dorr's car may have come close to a contender but like someone else said..it's more than likely a custom that looks good on the outside and not the in. Not busting on it for that....who gives a shit about the motor ...it's a custom. The hood is supposed to be shut!

Last year at Detroit evryone knew the Riddler winner as soon as they saw it. Hands down that car was perfect. The color may have been ugly but the car was pefect...you don't see that at the AMBR anymore.
    Clark

30. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm in on it. I feel the award should be called "One". Which one won it this year ? Did you see the one? This one has it all. This one takes the cake. There is the only one for me this year. Doesn't say HAMB, or TJJ or AMBR , it's just the "one".