Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum paint on head gaskets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Apr 6, 2013.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'm about to put the heads back on my '50 Cad. engine with 11 1/2 compression and I want to get the best seal possible. The gaskets I have are made of some fiber sandwiched between aluminum sheets. Years ago I saw a mechanic spraying gaskets like these with aluminum paint just before installing them. Wondering if this common practice or just his idea. Does anybody else do this?

Thanks Gary

2. flatoz

flatoz

I do it on copper sandwich head gaskets on flatheads. I give them 2 coats and then on the third wait until their tacky and then install.

Does it make a difference??? I don't know but I do it, it's an old trick. It's just something I do now.

You can buy commercial stuff like hylomar and permatex in a rattle can too. Not sure if they make any difference either.

3. There's a copper spray especially for head gaskets.
    Aluminum is a new one on me

4. I've seen it done in the past but he used gloss black,,I ask him why he did it and was told he didn't have any gasket sealer so the paint works as a sealer and work like a glue,,I ask why black,,he told be that was the only color he had on hand. HRP

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

I have used the orange permatex on my race bike between motos because I didnt have a new gasket and it worked.... that thing was on 110 octane and 13:1 compression and the pipe would glow red.

Have used ultra high temp rtv, but it doesn't to well with gasoline or oil.

A thin layer cant hurt.... it might burn but it cant to damage.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The aluminum paint is commonly done.

11 1/2: 1 is not commonly done and neither is aluminum for gaskets. I suspect it's steel.

What are you using for fuel?

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I will just run pump gas with octane booster. It will be driven on the street.

Your right they are steel. Just put a magnet on them.

8. austinhunt

austinhunt

If you run a carb--you could run half avgas and half mogas. That's what I ran for racing... but you will have to clean your spark plugs.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Years back we used to use the bottom of a can of aluminum paint (sticky thick stuff on the bottom) and put it on our Harley head gaskets when we had to re use them as we were broke :eek:
    Seemed to work pretty good back then..
    Just saying...
    Cheers...

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The aluminum paint is an old trick from the sixties, possibly earlier. I don't know what it is supposed to do but the racers used to use it.