Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical alternator wiring?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robtlor, May 6, 2017.

1. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

Ok guys, I have searched the old posts and cant seem to find what I need. Using an internally regulated 3 wire alt as a 1 wire. It drains the battery. If I unplug the small short wire going inside the alt drain is gone. So I think I can either put a diode in that short wire so current will only flow one direction or take the wire to the switch so it is disconnected when switch is off. Is this right?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought they had to be coverted to 1 wire with a plug setup that probably contains a diode. Never saw a viable reason to run a one wire alternator unless it was on a farm tractor with a magnito like they were originally designed to be put on.
    Every 1 wire alternator designed for 1 wire hook up has a plug similar to the one in this photo
    [​IMG]

This is pretty much a standard 3 wire hookup with light.
    [​IMG]

This I believe is what you are asking about.
    [​IMG]

3. I never saw the attraction of a 1-wire alternator outside of stock cars. Most wiring kits are set up for a 3-wire, but you can do them as a 1-wire losing the exciter wire, IIRC.

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The advantage of a one wire alternator is one wire...

54vicky likes this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The alternator will work better (as designed) if you leave it 3-wire and connect properly. Just two additional wires and a diode and/or a 194 bulb.
    You can change the regulator to convert to 1 wire, if you insist on one-wire.

6. BJR

BJR

If you run the #2 terminal of the plug to a junction block as close to where all the accessories are connected you get the added benefit of voltage sensing. Voltage sensing detects a drop in voltage where ever the sensing wire is connected and boosts alternator output to compensate for the voltage drop in long runs of wire. If connected at the alternator, it is sensing voltage right at the alternator so you could have less then optimum voltage down the line where it is being used.

bct likes this.
  7. If you wire the 3 wire alternator like Mr48 shows you will only add 1 wire. If you ran that wire through a bulb you would gain an idiot light. Or you could use the diode. Either way it is only one added wire.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You could wire the exciter wire to the accessory terminal on ignition switch without diode or lamp in series. Also the sense wire should be routed TO the closest it can be to the battery. That way the battery will have correct charging voltage.