Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Altered Wheelbase Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 30, 2009.

1. loudbang

loudbang

My internet provider must have been on a weekend bender like me it's been off and on since friday so a double batch today :confused: while it's still working.

A few Lee Smith Learners Sales & Service 65 plymouth

vs $ites Bros.
    LeeSmithAWB65Plymouth vs $ites Bros3-vi.jpg

LeeSmithAWB65Plymouth1-vi.jpg

LeeSmithAWB65Plymouth4-vi.jpg

LeeSmithAWB65Plymouth9-vi.jpg

LeeSmithAWB65PlymouthonRamp-vi.jpg

LeeSmithAWB65Plymouth-vi.jpg

Lou Hart dodge

LouHartCornetAWB-vi.jpg

Mays Foster WVa Hemi Charger

MaysFosterWVaCharger1965CornetAWB1-vi.jpg

Metcalf & Salter 65 Plymouth

Metcalf Salter65PlymouthAWBND4166-vi.jpg

Again running A/XS

Metcalf Salter65PlymouthAXS-vi.jpg

Mission Impossible

MissionImpossible65Plymouth-vi.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, els and 2 others like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

"Mr Norm" Gary Dyer 65 Cornet in a bunch of poses

MrNormGaryDyer65CornetAWB2-vi.jpg

MrNormGaryDyer65CornetAWB3-vi.jpg
    Looks like it's bending in the middle in this shot

MrNormGaryDyer65CornetAWB6-vi.jpg

The "List"

MrNormGaryDyer65CornetAWB8-vi.jpg
    Sedan this time

MrNormGaryDyer65CornetAWB9-vi.jpg

Mr Tomato

MrTomatoCornetAWB-vi.jpg

Orville Morrow Boogie Time 65 Plymouth

OrvilleMorrow BoogieTime65Plymouth-vi.jpg

A few of Pee Wee Wallace Virginian

Pee Wee Wallace Virginian65PlymouthAWB1-vi.jpg

pee wee wallaceVirginian65Plymouth preAWB.jpg

pee weeWallaceVirginian65PlymouthAWB-vi.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    loner2, 1947knuck, els and 2 others like this.
  3. seeing pics of the virginian brought back a flood of memories. i was booked into atco raceway for a match race with malcom durams son. we towed out to new jersey from wisconsin only to get rained out just before the start of the event. while we were waiting to see if the rain would stop rick demarco came up to me and asked if i could look at his car because it wouldn't start. they had the virginian under a pop up canopy with his crew working on it. to make a long story short the car was so screwed up it was sad. i spent the better part of a hour going through the injector and resetting the timing. after some adjustments the car fired right up so i took it for a ride in the pits. i was told by several old timers the awb cars could hook in a car wash. the old timers were correct as i kind of poked the gas the car stood right up. the pavement was soaked as it was still raining. i wasn't expecting that. out of all of the awb cars i have driven that car came up the easiest. that was just crazy pulling wheelies in the rain. fun times indeed.

fiveoh108, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  4. Here's a few more shots of stardust. Stardust @ R&B.jpg stardust v. ceds @ meadowdale.jpg stardust.jpg

1947knuck, quick85, enloe and 3 others like this.
  5. A few more of Grand Spalding Dodge S/FX Mr Norms @ iggy\'s muffler III.jpg Mr Norms @ iggy\'s muffler I.jpg Mr norms SFX-I Spaulding_Race.jpg Mr norms sfx II wrecked.JPG

6. A few Mopar pictures I have saved. lee Smith_AFX.jpg Kentucky Colonal.jpg Mike Ganes AFX.jpg Flying Dutchman 64 plymouth .jpg

1947knuck, quick85, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  7. Outer Limits AFX.jpg 1965 AFX Bad News.JPG EL Chupicabra.jpg Gamblin man & GLD \'04.JPG Hemi Reunion \'08 II.jpg Hemi Reunion \'08 III.jpg And a few modern ones

1947knuck, els, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  8. Craig Chapman

Craig Chapman

This 1965 4dr Chevy Nova "the Roadrunner"was Bruce Gowlands drag car . Bought for 1.00 from Howard Elliott Chev olds in Brampton .Bruce wanted a 2dr nova but the dealership wanted to have a car out there that was more like a family car . So out went the small drivetrain and rear end and in went the 396 ,thm 400 and a Pontiac rear end with 4:88 s . Bruce had one of the first 396 motors in Canada . The front end was replaced with a straight tube axle and glass front end with a glass teardrop hood . Carb replaced with hilborn injectors and nitro .
    Bruce's Speed Shop "Motordisk" was located at Hwy10 & Hwy7 bypass . The car eventually was painted gold and had its roof removed so it could run in roadster class . The car was then named "Lil Colonel" and sponsored by Herron Chev olds in Cooksville . In late 1967, Bruce put an ad in "Wheelspin News" selling the funnycar . Someone in Lucknow, Ontario bought it and was never seen again .The Motordisk building is still in Brampton , but is a diner called "Flips".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  9. Some non Mopar entries. Blue Bandit GTO.jpg BlueBandit1968MNDragways2.jpg Falcon AFX.jpg Jolly Green Giant AFX Pontiac.jpg Jolly Green Giant.jpg Matchmaker Chavelle.jpg

1947knuck, racer-x, saltflats and 2 others like this.
  10. the gambling man has a chevy engine in it. look at the stacks.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

12. Two questions...how do you make a Coronet a 2 headlight car like this? Are these just pieces cut from another grille inserted where the inner headlight pods were located?
    [​IMG]

Second, what is the bubbletop car in the far lane racing Stardust?
    [​IMG]
    Steve

loudbang likes this.
  13. it takes two grilles. they are pop riveted together. the factory did it this way. its been a while since i made one so double check but i think 13 bars will be where you cut the donor grille to add to the center section. after its cut the piece needs to be bent so it lines up with the center section. it ends up looking funny and incorrect. look at pics taken from the side. the mismatch graphed in section sticking out farther than the center section will be seen. while looking incorrect its actually correct.

loudbang likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

15. I thought it was one of those goofy Garlits injection/air filters, but never did see the hood open. Bogus either way!

16. Early A body Mopars. 2227856290082607023OkhPBO_ph1.jpg AFX mopars 3.jpg Anderson chariot.jpeg Brewer & Mull 2.jpg

1947knuck, loudbang and saltflats like this.
  17. and more.... Liberty motors dart.jpg crazycuda-2.jpg Hairy%20Canary%202.jpg Schmaltz Dart-67a.jpg

18. and more.... The Honker.jpg The Agitator Barracuda.jpg Spy%20Machine.jpg Kingfish_2.jpg

19. suchadrag

suchadrag

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

21. Craig Chapman

Craig Chapman

quick85 and loudbang like this.
  22. Craig Chapman

Craig Chapman

The 66 Chevy II car is named "Exhausting "
    Sponsored by CED's muffler services
    It's an attempt to make the car more aerodynamic . Also , the car could possibly run in the roadster class too .

Attached Files:

quick85, powrshftr and loudbang like this.
  23. Cool - thanks. I like that the grille pieces don't quite line up - it looks "correct".

And thanks on the ID of the Chevy II.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  24. Craig Chapman

Craig Chapman

Richard Petty spent the season dragracing. A matter of fact , quote:

The fun ended seconds into his race against Illinois driver Arnie Beswick.

``I blasted off the line and something broke in the left-front as I shifted from first to second gear,'' Petty wrote. ``I didn't have any control over the steering, and the brakes didn't work, either.''

The Plymouth - named ``Outlawed'' and numbered 43/Jr. - drifted left. When Petty steered right, the car headed toward the crowd, standing on a dirt embankment and protected only by a wire fence. ``Outlawed'' scaled the mound, threw its left-front wheel, cleared the neck-high fence and settled among the crowd. Witnesses said the whole thing took perhaps six seconds.

``Nothing in my whole life has ever gotten to me like that,'' Petty wrote. ``I couldn't stand to think about it. I tried drag racing again, but my heart wasn't in it. I kept thinking about the boy, so I quit.''

The Dye family sued the track operator, Petty Enterprises and Chrysler Corp. Petty settled out of court and never heard from the family again. ``We paid them more than we made all year,'' he said.

25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I didn't know he was banned. I thought he felt bad about the lose of life and quit.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Not true at all! Petty was in an accident that killed a young boy, but it was due to a mechanical failure not recklessness. This is the car before the accident. Petty Outlawd.jpg This is what it looks like currently. Petty outlaw wreck.jpg This is the replacement that Petty built to race the rest of the season. Petty & 43jr.jpg This is the same car restored last year. Petty 43jr restoration I.jpg If he was banned from drag racing why would he build another car?

1947knuck, els, quick85 and 1 other person like this.
  27. Craig Chapman

Craig Chapman

Drag Racing Wreck Dents Career
    February 28 , 1965
    The death of then 8-year-old Wayne Dye remains the darkest moment in Richard Petty's glorious racing career.

The youngster from Austell, Ga., was standing with his father on Feb. 28, 1965 as Petty began a quarter-mile drag race at Southeastern Dragway near Atlanta

Moments later, the boy was dead, killed by a wheel off Petty's car. Seven other fans were injured, including the boy's father.
    Petty was drag racing that Sunday afternoon.
    In his book, King Richard I, Petty wrote: ``The car was quick, about 140 miles an hour. I got a ton of publicity because nobody had ever successfully gone from stock cars to drag racing. It didn't take long to get the hang of it.''

The fun ended seconds into his race against Illinois driver Arnie Beswick.

``I blasted off the line and something broke in the left-front as I shifted from first to second gear,'' Petty wrote. ``I didn't have any control over the steering, and the brakes didn't work, either.''

The Plymouth - named ``Outlawed'' and numbered 43/Jr. - drifted left. When Petty steered right, the car headed toward the crowd, standing on a dirt embankment and protected only by a wire fence. ``Outlawed'' scaled the mound, threw its left-front wheel, cleared the neck-high fence and settled among the crowd. Witnesses said the whole thing took perhaps six seconds.

``Nothing in my whole life has ever gotten to me like that,'' Petty wrote. ``I couldn't stand to think about it. I tried drag racing again, but my heart wasn't in it. I kept thinking about the boy, so I quit.''

The Dye family sued the track operator, Petty Enterprises and Chrysler Corp. Petty settled out of court and never heard from the family again. ``We paid them more than we made all year,'' he said. Many people accused him for careless driving .
    Now 54, he doesn't question why he was spared that day. ``It wasn't meant to be,'' Petty said in a recent interview. ``I always live by the same rule: when your time comes to get hurt or killed, it's going to happen.

``That time wasn't for me.''

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Glad we got that cleared up.
    Now a question... Was there a time that they used front brakes then went to none?