Register now to get rid of these ads!

All Wheel Drive '56 Chevy Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOHICA, May 24, 2006.

1. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

that would be sweet, but what would 2 455's, 2 carbs, 2 transaxles, and all the linkage cost?

bravadas can be had for under 3k.....pull the drivetrain, part out the rest and make a lot of the money back....

2. jaybee

jaybee

Back to the AWD Chevy Astros, they may be rare in CA but they are all over the place out here in the rust belt. The yards should be full of them by now.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

AWD???

Trucks are 4X4 4WD. Hi and low range with a shifter and not a computer to make it work!

AWD is for soccer moms that can't get out of the cul de sac in their mini-van with an inch of snow on the ground.

Damn, I'm an old fart!:D

4. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

lol....

i want to see a soccer mom drive the quadraduece :eek:

5. Dirk35

Dirk35

FWIW, I have AWD on my 97 Explorer. I hate it. Doesnt handle any differently than my old 91 Explorer (4WD that I could take in and out of 2WD-4WD). It get way worse gas milage cause Im always in AWD. I have already had to replace the transfer case. Hydroplaining is more dependant on the tread of the tire than which wheel is turning. Your not gonna really be 4 wheeling in a lowered vehicle, or you would have been asking about 4WD.

Id put more thought into something more useful, personally.

But, if your stuck on doing it, I think the Explorers have a good narrow wheel base and come in either 2 door or 4 door, so different wheel bases. Might be easier to find in a junk yard too. You can get a 97 Ford Explorer with the 302 (V8) as a good start on what to look for.