Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All The Twos: 1962 Mercury, 352cui, 2bbl, Too Many Doors.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oneball, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Oneball

Oneball

Having trouble with valve stems for the slot mags, had to order some tractor ones, is 5/8” a normal car valve size over there?

2. Oneball

Oneball

Phew! Glad that’s over.
    IMG_7317.jpeg IMG_7318.jpeg

Beer time!
    IMG_7307.jpeg

3. With my pillar garnish, I took an old bolt cut off the head and turned a point on one end. Threaded it into the mounting hole with the pointed end sticking out. Laid the garnish in place, tapped it with a mallet and I had the hole location.

Oneball and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. Oneball

Oneball

I put some masking tape on the pillar then screwed the trim on and marked the hole. Took the tape off and put on the front of the trim, locating it with the screws. Then drilled the hole.

bobss396 likes this.
  5. Hey if it works, it works. My pillar bolt had a large shoulder on it, so I drilled a pilot hole and had to use my mill to open the hole to the final size, it was around 5/8" or 16mm-ish.

Oneball and Algoma56 like this.
  6. Oneball

Oneball

Bumper irons and inside of the chassis rails painted
    IMG_7564.jpeg

Painted the tank
    IMG_7565.jpeg

And made a list of things to do before I can have a proper drive. IMG_7566.jpeg

bobss396 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. Oneball

Oneball

Paint polishes up better than I expected

IMG_7641.jpeg

8. Oneball

Oneball

Bumpers back on, needs the stainless lower trim putting back on and a good clean, then it’s just a case of sorting the carb

IMG_7647.jpeg

9. Oneball

Oneball

PS that shocking bit of fencing is next door’s, they paid for that!!!

Cooon likes this.
  10. Oneball

Oneball

Took a while to get the correct size valves for the wheels, eventually got some from a tractor place, well it is a Ford!

IMG_7661.jpeg

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

She cleaned up nice. Looks great!

Oneball likes this.
  12. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

Also 63 buicks has those large valves.
    If you need new ones, you need to ask valves for mercedes-benz 508d.

Oneball likes this.
  13. Oneball

Oneball

Power steering pump went pop!
    IMG_7669.jpeg

14. Was it a hose failure? Pressure side or the return hose?

Have a fun weekend at the races. Good luck. Knock 'em stiff!

Oneball likes this.
  15. Oneball

Oneball

No, it’s coming from the front seal, either it’s popped out or the bearing has failed completely

Thanks. There’s a guy racing with us with a Thunderbolt this weekend. Looks fab!!

16. Oneball

Oneball

17. Oneball likes this.
  18. Oneball likes this.
  19. GeeRam

GeeRam

Oneball likes this.
  20. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

What series is this? Looks like Brands Hatch... Last time I was there for race support was 1993 with Hal Danby's Corvette, Gerry Marshall drove on that day. Both are sadly no longer with us:(

Mercury is looking good, I doubt there's a better example on our side of the Atlantic!

Oneball likes this.
  21. Oneball

Oneball

Full race motor but not by HM, it’s one of the nicest prepared race cars I’ve ever seen

22. Oneball

Oneball

Bernie’s V8s. We’re were at Donington, we’re at Brands in June support the UK round of Euro Nascar, we will be running open headers so bring you ear plugs if you’re coming!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  23. I would love to come, but my wife and I have different opinions on our mode of transport once we land in your country. I won’t go unless we can make a proper tour of England on a proper motorbike such as a Triumph. She wants to be boring and rent an auto. Man, I miss my Triumph……..

I’d also love to see the TT at The Isle of Man, I think she would be bored to tears, maybe I could drop her off at a pub?

Oneball likes this.
  24. Oneball

Oneball

You can watch the TT from a pub right next to the circuit. Problem solved ;)

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  25. Oneball

Oneball

Pump the off and the front bush is really sloppy, it was rebuilt not long ago but before my ownership. There’s a lot of debris in there too, some quite large chunks. IMG_7711.jpeg

Isn’t there supposed to be a big round filter in here?
    IMG_7708.jpeg

bobss396 likes this.
  26. Oneball

Oneball

Looks like there’s a bunch of stuff missing from inside the reservoir IMG_7713.jpeg

27. Most people don’t know about power steering filters, but pretty standard on Lorries. (Trucks).

Oneball likes this.
  28. Oneball

Oneball

I’ve ordered a new pump as it seemed simpler than trying to sort the front bush and I’ve got a bunch of stuff to do to the Vette before June after being punted off by a Mustang at the weekend. I’ve also ordered an in line filter for the return line. I’ll clean the leaky pump and use it to purge the system properly before putting the new pump on. I’m pretty sure this one has failed because no one cleaned the swarf after the original failed

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Truckdoctor Andy and bobss396 like this.
  29. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

If I could I would but it seems my employer decided to make my last two years before pension into a nightmare so that if I can get away any free time will have to be spent on my Comet - if I want to get it past our MOT... Maybe next year. Open headers on a classic series in the UK?! How is this possible if the Earl of March isn't the organizer?

30. Oneball

Oneball

Dropped the trans sump and changed the filter too, didn’t look like it’d ever been off, gave the sump a lock of paint before I put it back on and refilled with fresh Ford fluid. Couldn’t really work out the two o-rings the filter came with as it didn’t look like the larger tube had one on but put it on anyway.
    IMG_7936.jpeg

Also put the new pump on, along with an inline filter and flushed the system. I thought I’d put the pressure line into the chassis bracket it’s meant to fit in as someone hadn’t when they’d changed the pump before. There was a reason why 2 1/2 hours of swearing. It’s in 3 pieces and held together and on to the chassis with one bolt, your can only get one had in there two. It’s at least done now and I can move on to cleaning stainless trim :confused:
    IMG_7935.jpeg

I’ve bought a 600 Holley off eBay, I’ve got all the bits to rebuild one and I’m used to them so hopefully that’ll fix the running issue and I’ll be able to actually go for a drive soon!!