Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest All My Friends... Know The Lowrider...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 31, 2009.

1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

Yeah I was gonna say ... I do better with them $7 LOCS from the liquor store . Buncha chainers !!! HAHAHA

2. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

NOW Lets talk about this kustom you want to build.............. i might be able to fit your budget on the body and paint side of town............... contact me when you have time and are ready.

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have been wondering WTF I am doing for some time, my bussiness has been good to me financially and it would be ok if not for a lot of the people (i.e. ASSHOLES!), but it sucks more and more everyday.

I have an oppertunity to move to an automotive field, which I have pretty much decided to jump into, my son will be graduating form University in a few months... Is it right for me to expect him to take my place... :D

4. litemup66

litemup66

Takes a big pair to step out like that. Seems that we let ourselves get in our own way too much. Grats to you man!

5. DaveInc

DaveInc

This thread explains one of the many reasons why I gravitated toward the Jalopy Journal even though I don't own a real hot rod (yet). Being a creative guy, I've always painted outside the lines. The stuggle is forever between doing what is expected or normal.... and what I might believe. I've done both, made mistakes at both, and lived with the consequences. The main thing I've learned is not trying to please someone else has usually worked out better.

6. ...man that's cool! it gives a brutha hope :cool:

...thanks a lot Ryan.

7. froghawk

froghawk

Some terrific, moving writing there, Ryan. You've got a way of capturing a moment and its "deeper meaning," that's pretty damn close to poetry.

Wish I could figure out a way to jump ship and still pay the fucking heating bill...

8. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

This one hit home Ryan.
    In the 70's I bought hight tech steel for a steel fabricator - some was used in atomic power plants. ect. I'm allerigic to tobaco and get very ill from tobaco smoke in the office. after 10 years of being sick every day sitting between 3 two pack a day smokers I walked out the front door on my lunch break and did not go back in.
    The last project I worked on for them was a skyscraper and the first project I worked on as a self employed person was an outhouse for my parents neighbor's cabin. That was a contrast.
    I worked 20 years as a home builder till I hurt my back and now am a selfemployed furniture maker- sad thing back in 1966 when I got out of highschool I wanted to be a furniture maker too bad it so long to get here. to bad it does not pay well but I got the greatest pay of all back 30 some years ago - my HEALTH back.

jim h

9. headhunter

headhunter
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for rubbing it in, Ryan!

BTW, does that suit friend of yours need a job? :)

10. Not all of us get a shot at doing it for Real. Like you I'm one of the Lucky ones. Didn't even know it happened at the time. I had a grate job (or so I thought) in 1974 when a Family Chrisis demanded I take some time to deal with it. I was shop foreman as well as parts dept manager. When I told the Owner I needed 2 weeks to deal with things I was told No. It was peak season and they couldn't do without me. I put family first and Quit my Job. A week later I was back asking for it back and was told they were training a new manager and didn't have a place for me at the time. They would call when a position opened. I really Loved that job so I started doing work at home to get by waiting for my Old job back. I eventually opened a Shop front and was getting by. The call came so I went. I took the walk through and they explained how messed up things were and I was Needed to get them back on track. They took me to Lunch to explain why I couldn't start at my Previous pay rate but was soon to be making more when the Light came on. I just stood up and said I don't think so and left. I have Never regretted that decision and have not been on a Pay Roll since. Life could have been different but not Better.
    This is No practice run. Make it Good, You arn't coming back.
    The Wizzard

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Dammit Ryan why do you have to stir shit up?

I often think to myself while I'm sitting at my desk worrying about the next design for a TV mount why am I not in the garage burning up sheetmetal? Some days the "real world job" seems so trivial. I have a design job which helps sharpen my hot rod skills, but still I could give a shit about TV mounts. This is one of those days that I want to just walk out and go home and finish my car, sell it and build the next one. That takes balls. I'm 26, married with a mortgage. I'm still young, but time flies. I don't want to wake up and wish I had taken the car path. What to do?

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I hear that. Some days I get out of bed and wonder why life has too be like this. Don't get me wrong, I like my job. I get along with everyone here, make a decent wage and am apprenticing to be a Parts Technician (partsman)...but doesn't it seem like such a waste of your time on this earth? Trapped from 8-5, only to go home too tired to do much of anything at all. I guess thats what makes the important things in life (friends, family, our cars) worth it. Regardless of how bad of a day you had at work (wether you like your job or not) most of us find solace in jumping into our cars and cruising, or locking ourselves up in the garage for a saturday and tinkering around.

Thanks for the read, Ryan.

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Ryan.Fuckin' GREAT! You're SO damn lucky to have gor out while 'y could!

Nick.

14. BLAKE

BLAKE

I'm actually looking for a mentor in this area... I need help.

15. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

hopefully ill be in such a position one day

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Nick, it's not a matter of timing and opportunity. There is no right time or right opportunity. First you make the time. Then you make the opportunity. People talk about this stuff like it drops in your lap and you're luckier than them. Nothing could be further from the truth, anyone can do it, no luck involved. Good luck with your journey

17. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

18. xbtnikx

xbtnikx

i'm sick too man. more of the car? please?

19. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Love both posts.

I am in school right now. Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. I get to take some street rod courses and sometimes I think of just giving it all up and focusing on cars. I wish I had a good paying job to give up rather than nothing but more school and tuition and homework.
    But I guess I will stick with it until the man tells me I am creative enough and skilled enough to be called a "Designer"

20. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Shifty, You're right, it's down to having the BALLS to do it!
    Some of us DO and some of us just DREAM!

Nick.

21. hankcash

hankcash

I had 3 photo-shoots this morning and I wasn't wearing a tie for any of them...

hc

22. its nice when all your friends speak the same language

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

If it makes you feel any better Ryan. Day 7 is the day when you start feeling better. I am on day 10.

24. hankcash

hankcash

Root, are you saying that you got Ryan sick?

hc

25. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Amen, brothers.

I may not be in the sweet spot....yet, but it is closer now than ever before.

I walked on a job about 10 years ago over a cumulative difference in opinion on how to run a business. The other guy signed my check, was many years younger and didn't yet understand his limitations. My payback moment was about 3 years after. He snuck up behind me in some downtown joint and slid a fresh brew over in front of me. All he said was that he never realized all I was doing for him 'til he had to do it himself. Said he closed shop not long after that. That was a really good beer.

26. BISHOP

BISHOP

Well said Shifty...This could not have been said better.

I jumped ship in 1993. Good job as a prototype, model builder. Boss started a rant, and I walked. Best day of my life. People with motivation and drive don't need a boss.

27. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Bishop,I KNEW I should never have looked at this thread!

Nick.

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Great read, Ryan!
    I'm in the same boat. I got tired of working for others so last month I launched my own junk-removal & hauling business. Things are starting slowly, but some work is coming in. I have a few other odd jobs to help with the cashflow for now, but hopefully I'll soon be able to completely be self-supporting. It feels good!

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it had to be done.... :p

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, but in a non man love way Hank.