Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ah, the stupid things we've done.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by borderboy1971, Oct 5, 2012.

1. I want to hear stories from others of stupid things you've done to a car inb the past and looking back now wished you wouldn't have. I'm not talking about .... Oh I should have never sold that car or etc. I'm talking... I cut the roof off that car to make it a convertible (and now looking back that was a terrible thing to do).

I'll start.... I once got a 46 Ford 4dr Deluxe, it was in REALLY nice shape (likely could have put gas and a battery in it and drove it), I wanted the suspension out of it, so stabbed it with a forklift and flipped it over. When I was done at the end, there was very little left that could be saved if you wanted. (who'd want a 4dr sedan anyways right?). What an idiot I was (still am).

.... and to think I call myself a car guy.

I hereby am giving myself the right to point my finger at anyone in this thread (including myself) and say "you, my friend, are an idiot!" haha

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Between the time I was about 11 and 18 I probably had 30 old cars of all kinds..........model a's, 50 Fords (even a convertible), 38 Ford, 37 Dodge, 2 53 Studebakers, 3 Crosleys, Nash Rambler with a built Olds in it, a 34 Roadster, and so many I can't remember. I cut the hell out of them and all of them went to the scrap yard because I didn't know what I was doing and ruined them all.

I wish I could go back in time. :(

Don

3. Oh man, this should be good. :p

4. williebill

williebill

Not enough bandwidth....easier if you ask what I haven't fucked up

5. Brentdlots

Brentdlots
    from California

I got a turquiose and black 55 Chevy Belair convertible for towing it away, the engine was seized. It was a 265 Powerpack and all I really wanted was the WCFB four barrel carb and manifold to put on my 56 two door post. Convertibles were not cool, so once I got the parts I needed off of it I helped a stock car racer cut the quarter panels off for his roundy round car and hauled the hulk to the masher.

Then there was the 67 Plymouth Sport Satellite hemi car I got from a friend who worked at the local Mopar dealer - The Hemi's only had a 12,000 warranty and were know to blow head gaskets so a lot of them got traded in and my buddy would buy them cheap from the dealer and take the hemi engine and trans and the Dana rear ends out. This particular Satellite I bought from him for $40 after he stripped it because I wanted the like new black interior to put in a Coronet I had. Same deal, once I got the interior I made a deal with a stock car racer for him to take the fenders and the quarter panels in exchange for hauling the hulk away. I think there were something like 20 Sport Satellite hemi cars built in 67. I suppose I should have kept that one.

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good thread,

7. Deuces

Deuces

You bone heads!!!... :rolleyes::D

8. pontman

pontman

Every day I wake up something stupid is bound to happen.

9. medic3579

medic3579

I bought a rust free 1965 Riviera for $150 from an old guy I knew back in 1979. The car was a complete daily driver. A friend of mine was entering the demo derby at the county fair and urged me to run also. Being a dumb kid of 18, I painted up the Riv and knocked all of the windows out. When I got to the track, I had a dozen "old guys" telling me I was the biggest dip shit on the planet. Didn't know till years later why they felt that way. Now I know I was THE BIGGEST dipshit on the planet. Hopefully you guys can redeem me by messing up worse. Oh, and I put the motor out of it in to a mini pulling tractor I had and blew it up. smh

10. I sold my steel 32 roadster body when i gave in to pressure to sell it 30 years ago, dumb ass !! JW

11. flathead okie

flathead okie

Built a coupster in the early '70's got drunk sold it for $35, In my defence it was kinda rat rodish.
    Sold a running driving 39 Plymouth so I could buy a Honda 750
    Sold a running driving 55 chevy p.u. so I could buy a Suzuki Cruiser.
    Sold my flatty powered Model A I had for 15 yrs for no reason what so ever, didn't need money,??? Now I'm building another A coupe.
    Yeah I am a dumb ass

12. R Pope

R Pope

Had a '69 GTX 440, swapped it for a '68 Road Runner with a (claimed) 340 swapped in after the Hemi went in a digger. Pulled the engine for my pickup, turned out to be a 318 with 340 top end, and gave the body to a guy who stripped it and threw it off a cliff! Twenty years later a guy went and salvaged it with a winch truck, he thought he'd struck gold. He said he would have gone to a lot more work just to get the Hemi ID plate off it.
    We were cutting the roof off a '59 Buick HT and just had an inch or so to go, my brother lit the torch and went at it....Boom! The whole thing went up in smoke.
    How much time have ya got, I have lots of stories..........

13. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Back in the mid '80s I had a '57 Chevy 210 4dr wagon that had power steering, brakes,& windows the glass was EZ Eye, originally V8 w/ Powerglide. It needed a lot as it was a junkyard car. Floorpans, fenders, etc. But was pretty solid other than the pans. Unfortunately, I listened to my parents who said it couldn't be done. So I cut the roof off of it and scrapped it out for parts. Wish I had it now.

14. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Lets see, I bought a 241 Hemi for 40$ and either gave it away or sold it for next to nothing to a buddy. Next, I had a ton of FE speed stuff that I cant remember what I did with it. Then back in 71, I could have pick up a 69 Boss 429 Mustang for a grand. Just out of the service, no money. I'm tearing up just thinking about all of it.............

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Can't tell......Witness-Protection-Plan

16. I have never done anything stupid in my whole life......:D:rolleyes:

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've talked about this before. I had two complete B & M Hydro Stick setups, several extra flywheels, several extra torus assemblies, both modified and stock, two shifters, one a NOS Hurst Hydro-Gate. I also had the slip yokes, and a rebuilt Chevrolet truck V-8 Hydra-Matic starter, and I gave it all away after my FIL died. We had to go through all his stuff, and get rid of a lot of his junk. I did'nt want my wife to have to do that, even though I was 40 or so at the time. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!! Did I mention I was STUPID? This was right before this whole "Nostalgia" thing really got under way. I was planning on using them for my 56 Sedan Delivery Junior Stocker recreation, what I call a Pseudo-Junior Stocker. Now the car has a 327 and 4-speed, so much for my Pseudo-Junior Stocker. Did I mention I was STUPID? Oh yeah!!! Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Murderer! :D

19. wallyringo

wallyringo

So many to tell I was a very stupid kid. While sanding my dash on a 66 Mustang I was using a electric sander and scratch the hell out of my windshield. Hanging out with my buddy his mini truck broke down So i unbolted my seatbelts and used them to tow his truck home, very stupid and really messed up my bumper / license plate. Early 90`s I had a 1966 buick electra convertible power everything, the starter went out and park it on the street. My brother and i would get high and grab a few beers and go out to take it off. The angle for one of the bolts was a real bitch, couldnt get to it or i didnt have the right tool. Tried a few times with different tools but i was always to high or to buzzed to focus. So the city towed it and auctioned it off. Dont smoke weed my friends!
    Oh and the best one was letting a friend borrow a car and crashing it and never kicking his ass after he never payed me back or fixed the car.

20. Irishman

Irishman

Just before I moved to the states I had a slick 5 Series Beemer. Time of departure was approaching fast and nobody was serious about buying it. I was living 8 hours away from home in the south of Ireland and the car had northern plates, hence the lack of interest from buyers.
    A week before I left I thought "Screw it!", tore the living hell out of that car, jumping sidewalks and anything else that would serve as a ramp. Just before I left I called the local scrap yard and had them haul it off.

Damn, I loved that car.

21. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

After my dad got any parts he could use for his '40 Ford pickup, my brothers and I used hack saws and cut up a really decent '51 Ford pickup and took it so scrap. We didn't think the '51 would ever be cool.
    I think of that everytime I see the sweet, slammed, all black one Rick drives on American Restoration.

22. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

No, thanks. I've already recanted my stigmata in an earlier thread.

23. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Once bought a 68 Super Bee for $25....great shape minus the drivetrain. Took the emblems off and scrapped it.

Local idiots running a repair shop took in a 1-1/2 year old Honda Accord for an afternoon oil change. Don't know how but they dropped the car off the floor jack onto a jack stand and put a big crack in the transmission case that was seeping trans fluid. Decided to TIG weld the crack in place, which created even larger oil leakage issues. Finally, they cleaned it up, used several tubes of JB Weld to fill the crack. Now, the crack ran across one of the bellhousing-to-engine bolts, so they completely filled that area in with JB and sanded it smooth, then sprayed it with silver paint and rubbed a little dirt over it all. Out the door it went, customer never knew!

24. When you finish your A coupe,,,,, how about I drive up and buy you some booze. Would you like the $35 in 0nes so it seems like more? :D

25. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

Love this thread!

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

Geez, some of you guys are REALLY stupid!

27. Yes you have,,you sold the coupe in your avatar,but corrected that by buying it back!

I'll probably posting in a year or so the stupidest thing I did was sell it back to you!:D HRP

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my life is one big stupid mistake after another and I'm not done yet.

29. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

WOW, I think you win the contest with that one! :eek:

30. AARRRRRGH!
    My first car was a 31 Ford 2 dr. Fairly original, mechanical brakes and all.
    Had it about a year and sold it to finance a 57 Chevy. What idocy was I thinking? Still in highschool so what did I know?

Not a day goes by now that I don't think about that car..... wish I still had it!!!