Register now to get rid of these ads!

Accel shorty spark plug alternate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chucky, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Thought I would do a separate post about my findings on an alternate for Accel's SPENDY short spark plug. The P526S is $10.97 each at Summit right now - and that is just completely friggin' ridiculous! Just a few months ago, I spent $90 on a set of spark plugs.:eek::eek: This is a 14mm / .708 reach plug, but I needed a short version which is not very common, hence the $11.00 plug. I crossed the Accel number to an AC number and then the guy at O'Reilley's crossed it to NGK, and finally to a Motorcraft number. Anyways, the Motorcraft plug is only 1/8" longer than the Accel. It costs $4.99 and it's a platinum plug. Ford plugs are going in my Chevy engine, which is mounted in a Plymouth.:D Any other options out there? I did a google search and it seems nobody has a great answer. Yes, the Plymouth is running a bit rich - tuning sucks!

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

4. Danny G

Danny G

I use autolite ar13

5. derpr

derpr

so what's the motorcraft number?

6. derpr

derpr

That's weird thread length on those plugs. What kind of heads are you using?

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't check into it thoroughly, but when I had the angle plug aluminum heads on my Austin's 327 I was told the Accel plugs were made by NGK, and to buy NGK instead, as they were the same length. I ended up taking the aluminum heads off and going to old camel hump 2.02's instead, so plug clearance became a non issue.

8. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I found some NGK's at O'Rielys that were the same and worked great

9. SP486 is the Motorcraft number

I have RHS cast iron aftermarket SBC heads.