Register now to get rid of these ads!

Abraham Lincoln Racing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Dake, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

It's a Lincoln, neighbor's name is Abraham, here's the car we are starting on for Bonneville.
    XXO/CCG
    The plan is to use the original 337 with a 200r4, 2.78 Ford. custom front and rear chopped 5, channel 7, full pan. etc, etc.

Flame on if you like. Question is to get 140mph in 5 miles, what kind of HP do I need?

Attached Files:

2. So, you're building this with the current rule book? Sounds like it. Tough class too. Good luck.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I just got one of these Lincolns, a '50 coupe. I've got an extra one of those big flatheads I'd get rid of cheap if you need another motor.

I've seen a couple of early 50's road race Lincolns, but never a Bonneville car. Would be pretty awesome if you can get it to do 140.

4. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I have last years rulebook and the mods are all necessary. I have not looked at the standing record for this year yet.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

One thing I noted is that your going to have to do the number in 3 miles. To get on the long course you need to run 175 between the 2 and the 2 1/4. Different people do things different ways. I would not want to use the 200r4. Why not use a stick shift (eaiser to hook to the big Linc) less drag on the motor. Rarily have troubble. Get a top loader where 4th is OD if you think you need OD. How many Rs do you think the Lincoln will turn? Ever think about turbos? Put you in an open class and get you a record. Worked for me in XO/BGAlt--168.200 in 1980 and still the record.

6. Great project - I used to have an old Lincoln racecar project - it was an original steel shell with a pro built round tube chassis - was originally designed to be a drag car but I always dreamed of a landspeed ride instead. I foolishly let it sit at a guy's shop because I had no where to store it - after this long now I don't think it would be fair to ask him if I can have it back :eek:

Steve

7. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Would a T-5 be a better choice. I don't think it will turn over 4500+ Rpm, it has a 3.50 x 4.375. I am also considering another class if available. What's it look like to you? I was just looking and there are no
    XXO/XXF for Classic Unblown Gas Coupe - /CGC
    or Unblown Gas Competition Coupe and Sedan -XXO or XO /GCC

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  8. raven

raven

A T-5 would be too weak in my opinion.
    I think a Nash would be more the ticket.
    r

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

T-5 may be alright. Remember it's not a drag race. The amount of torque you can put on the ground is not that high. I used a 55 Chevy 3 speed for years and went 177 using a 320 inch GMC with it. Never broke. The XX and X classes do not run in the Classic catogury. Don't know why thats the rules. You can't run XF unless you get Ford or Merc engine. XXO/GCC would be alright. I used turbos on my GMC because old junkyard turbos were cheap and eaiser to find than speed parts. Doubble true for a Lincoln. I think you have a good idea here and if I can help at all PM me.

10. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

My concern is using gearing to make up for the lack of HP. I really don't know how to calculate that.

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You can't make up for lack of HP except with better areo or more HP. With a direct high gear and a 30 inch tire at 4000 rpm you would be going 144.5 except for slip. The big L pushes a fair amount of air. When your air resistance equals your thrust (hp) you stop accelerating. My experiance has been changing gears only changes the rpm ypu can achieve. The speed remains the same. Unless you go to far and then you slow down. Look at http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm for rpm/speed calcs. You will need a pretty good LSR tire to run at Speedweek. Read expensive

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

you'll need to do it in 3 miles..5 miles is for the cars over 175...Congrats on contracting the bug..hahaha