Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Roth's "Tweedy Pie" T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Ed Roth's "Tweedy Pie" T

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy likes this.
  2. seatex

seatex

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

I got the "Little" book and saw the car about 8 years ago. Who's has the car now & where is it?

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  4. It's right up the street from me at Galpin Ford as part of their Roth collection.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Cool history, never knew it was widened and never picked up on the '32 frame before!

6. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

One of the finest Ts ever created.

7. $ 1150.00 ??? how the money system has changed,
    Great car, thanks for the scoop on the build, I always had my suspicion that Ed did not build the car.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

9. Knuckleheads, saw it a few weeks ago!
    No mystery, it's part of the Galpin Auto Sports Collection, in the San Fernando Valley.
    "
    Ed “Big Daddy” Roth’s “Tweedy Pie” is one of the most recognized T-Buckets in history, selling over 11 million model kits and counting since 1963! Tweedy Pie is a 1923 Ford Model T on a ‘32 Ford chassis, featuring some of Roth’s earliest pinstriping. It runs a Chevy 265 V8 with 6 Stromberg 97 carbs, Ford 3-speed trans and a banjo rear end. Owned for over 40 years by the Lavoy family, Tweedy Pie was sold in 2006 to Larry Tarantolo, who lightly restored it along with fellow Roth aficionado, Dave Shuten of Galpin Auto Sports. Much to everyone’s surprise, it was then thrust back into the public eye at the 2006 Detroit AutoRama, where Ed “Big Daddy” Roth was honored as the featured builder of the year. Tweedy Pie is now at home at Galpin with the largest collection of Ed Roth’s custom creations and memorabilia!"

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    Click on the pics to see!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    dana barlow likes this.
  10. Trouble Maker's Tea

Trouble Maker's Tea

Notice that Roth took off his shoes before getting into the T.

volvobrynk and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never noticed it was on a 32 frame before. you learn something new every day here.:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

My favorite T-bucket of all time.

13. iamben

iamben

That car is sweet!!! I like the single headlights better but it looks fantastic either way!!! He must have really loved it because it looks like he drove it without shoes on.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In Tony Thacker's book Ed went off on a rant about people who buy his creations then change them around, but it was ok when he did it lol.

volvobrynk and sko_ford like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As I read this journal entry, I was trying to find a way to comment on the paint color;). So....... yea, it's one of my all time favorites and I love the VIOLET paint job.;)

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

One of my all time favorites as well. Of course I am old enough that I bought the R&C off the rack in '62. The eleven million kit sales tells me I wasn't the only kid impressed by the little T.

17. I never realized that the body was widened or that it was on a '32 frame. I also picked up on the fact the Ed took his shoes off before getting in.

18. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that shoe removal would have been necessary to manipulate the pedals - space is precious in a T, especially the early ones.

[​IMG]

19. Rem

Rem

Or maybe they hadn't yet shot the interior photos and he didn't want to get any grass in there? :) Great little T, whatever the reason.

volvobrynk likes this.