Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Milthorpe Ford V8 Special

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

The Milthorpe Ford V8 Special

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Okie Pete, Stogy, Spoggie and 2 others like this.
  2. Downunder Deuce

Downunder Deuce

I think it's current driver at Historic events Downunder is "Frankie Flatout"

Stogy, Spoggie and Dago 88 like this.
  3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

What a looker...

Stogy likes this.
  4. 35cab

35cab

Wow, love it, particularly like the rear view, can't quite get me head round just how big it might be,must be quite a handful to drive.Always intrigued by these crossover, race-car/hotrod/specials.
    Thanks for posting.

Stogy likes this.

5. Awesome, what a fantastic example of high end craftsmanship.

Stogy likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

bet you could get all kinds of ladies with a car like that. it makes you look rich.

Stogy likes this.
  7. autobilly

autobilly

What a ripper! As 49ratfink said, the sheilas would have loved it. Would have cost a bob or two to build too.

Stogy likes this.
  8. flamingokid

flamingokid

By Jove,I think he's got it!

Stogy likes this.
  9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Look what happened to it when the hotrodders got hold of it in the 60'S image.jpg

10. Dear God noooo.........

Stogy likes this.
  11. [​IMG]

.....oh, you were kidding. Dunno' if the car looks better today, though. I like the post read pics, better then this one...at current state. Geez. Tires, and red....would have to go......just kills the lines.

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. The original is bad ass! Those damn hot rodder's effed it all up....

Stogy likes this.
  13. Lots of styling cues from Edsel's Model 40 Speedster!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Awesome Metal Craftsmanship !

Stogy likes this.
  15. richie oneill

richie oneill

no, the hot rodders saved it, it was in a scrap yard, maybe it should have been restored then to the 1941 us army truck

Outback and Stogy like this.
  16. richie oneill

richie oneill

Stogy likes this.
  17. richie oneill

richie oneill

the car here is the replica, built by a hot rodder, who also helped restore the original as the hot rod which i own

18. richie oneill

richie oneill

the hot rodders saved it from the scrap yard, built the replica race car version and restored the hot rod version of the original car

USMercUte, Outback and Stogy like this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool,Richie.Any detail photos,and more pictures of the original?

Stogy likes this.
  20. richie oneill

richie oneill

ok, heres the real story behind this car,
    at the end of world war two, a 1941 US army truck rolled over near the bandiana army base near Albury in NSW, Australia. A Local tractor dealer Edwin Charlie Milthorpe Bought the wreck,and stripped the body off the truck, he rebuilt the chassis and running gear which was the original running gear of the truck,he then took the rolling platform to a local body builder named Paul Gittings, who was one of the last australian trained coach builders for rolls royce, to build his special. the car was completed by the end of 1947 and took 18 months to complete. Its first race was at the 1948 Australian grand prix at Point cook in Victoria. From 1948 onwards the car raced at racetracks all over southern nsw and victoria, including Bathurst, Gnoo blas, Hume weir, Wangaratta, Tarrawingee, and Albert Park amongst others.
    in the late 1950's the car was sold to John Spanbroke, who repainted the car red with a white stripe down its bonnet.
    By the early 1960's the car was in a sad state of repair and was retired and sold to a metal scrap dealer in Wangaratta, Victoria. My father bought the wreck of the car and turned it into a hot rod in the mid 1960's, which was featured in custom rodder magazine number 4 in autumn 1968. he sold the car in 1971 just before his tragic death in june 1972. the car was eventually sold on to a biker who almost destroyed the car. in the early 1980's a hot rodder from castlemaine spotted the wreck of the car on a trailer heading for the tip once again and flagged over the car carrying the wreck and saved the remains of the car.
    i had grown up without my father (who died when i was 3) and had for many years looked at all the old photos of all his old cars and hot rods which were long gone by the time i was old enough to appreciate them, this particular car always fascinated me as it was so different to any of the other hot rods and cars he had.
    in 1990 purely by chance, my uncle who was a plumber was digging a ditch beside a fence and heard a hot rod starting up, looked over the fence and started chatting to one of dads old hot rod mates, who enquired as to what i was doing now and if i was interested in cars, and extended an invite to me to come over to see his hot rods. a few weeks later i gathered up all the old car photos i had and went to see him. i had seen some of his cars over the years,driving around town and never knew who owned them. so in June 1990 i met Keith Stamp, a legend in australian hot rodding, and one of the greatest people ive ever met. that night, i pulled out all the old photos and in particular asked him about this car. i said i would love to see it if it still existed, after he told me about the car and many stories about my dad, he said hang on, went over to his bench, pulled out his phone book and made a few calls. He ended up speaking to an old hot rodder near castlemaine who had what was left of the car, told him who i was and why we were ringing him. He agreed to sell the remains of the car to me, so Keith and i drove to faraday near castlemaine and picked up the remains of the car. from early on we discussed the possibility of not just rebuilding the car as the hot rod, but he was interested in making a replica version of the race car, which i thought was a fantastic idea.
    over a period of some twenty years i rebuilt with Keith the original car as the hot rod version like my dad had, and Keith built the replica race car version, based on a wire mould of the original body. Both cars have been completed, and the race car version races once again, while i drive the hot rod around with a big grin on my face and a few tears as well. As for people saying hot rodders destroyed the car, they are ill informed and their opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Hot rodders have continually saved this car over the years, not destroyed it. In fact going by their logic the car should be restored to a 1941 army truck, and i really couldnt care less what they think.
    i have over the years collected numerous photos, films, race car programmes, magazine articles of the cars history and have now a great collection of the cars history as well as the car itself. 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 12.jpg 16.jpg 18.jpg 19 (2).jpg 26.jpg 42.jpg 44.jpg 75.jpg 76.jpg 121.jpg 136.jpg 137.jpg Milthorpe56AlbertParkFerrari2.jpg Milthorpe1956ArgusMoombaJagCornerAughtieParade11March1956 (2).jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 12.jpg 16.jpg 18.jpg 19 (2).jpg 26.jpg 42.jpg 44.jpg 75.jpg 76.jpg 121.jpg 136.jpg 137.jpg Milthorpe56AlbertParkFerrari2.jpg Milthorpe1956ArgusMoombaJagCornerAughtieParade11March1956 (2).jpg IMGP0700.jpg

USMercUte, Okie Pete, Outback and 8 others like this.
  21. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

You should be very proud.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Man, this thread is the duck's guts. I love it all. Keith did a great job with you Richie, that is obvious. Thanks Jive Bomber- I can't recall ever seeing the original car- it just blows me away.

In 2014 I was invited by a gentlemen named Frank Moore to paint, in-situ at S.C.C.S.A clubrooms, a portrait of 'Black Bess', the 1950 A.G.P. winner, which was up on the clubroom stage for a day. I'll show it here, as a kind of interesting comparison to this car.

Black Bess sat on a '34 chassis, I think with the spring in front of the axle? Hard to tell here- super-quick drawing, from a day or two previous, was rushed, as car was leaving pits for the track.
    The painting was done in one day, and only from this one profile drawing.

140508BlackBess1-copy.jpg

140412BlackBessJPEG.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Outback, Stogy and rod1 like this.
  23. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

that's a dam nice car Ritchie I hope to set eyes on it one day I for one really like all the versions of the car well done

Stogy likes this.
  24. richie oneill

richie oneill

thank you, i am

25. richie oneill

richie oneill

anyone who knows about old race cars certainly knows black bess, thats an awesome painting of her

Outback, Stogy and Spoggie like this.
  26. richie oneill

richie oneill

i see youre in Tasmania somewhere, im here as well, down near Hobart as is my car

27. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I live in Lindisfarne Richie , I will pm my phone number

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt...I prefer the stealthiness of the original iteration but understand its evolution including a replica built by one in the team that took the original forward...this is typical of many revered Hotrod/Customs that have graced the Culture over the years...Now we have both...what a vision to wrap around an Ole 41 Ford Ute...

@richie oneill...thanks for the extensive journey to today with imagery...and wow what a bout in spirit if I've ever seen it...you're Dad is beaming without a doubt...

@Jive-Bomber...it never gets old...just a journey in discovery and appreciation...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
    Outback likes this.
  29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

IMG_20231028_120143480_HDR.jpg Keith Stamp who owns the race car is a local to me, this is his daily drive put to work, he had a stroke many years ago & with the use of only 1 hand continues to build specials & do body work for people, he is an incredibly tenacious, talented man. A legend in Australian hot rodding. Richie I loved seeing you car on the road when you were here.

rod1, Big Al, USMercUte and 2 others like this.