Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah me and Pat are friends, I told him about this site, good to have you aboard.

2. little later then usual, but here's Friday's batch!
    [​IMG]
    Funk Jr. and Beardsley
    [​IMG]
    Gary Ryan
    [​IMG]
    Gavin Couper
    [​IMG]
    Gavin Couper 31, Bob Harper 2, and Doc McKenzi
    [​IMG]
    Fuzzy Baer

3. [​IMG]
    Gary Winters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gary Anderson
    [​IMG]
    Gary Lulg
    [​IMG]
    Bouley

4. [​IMG]
    Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gary Johnson
    [​IMG]
    Garvin Couper
    [​IMG]
    Gary Cretty
    [​IMG]
    Gary Myers

5. [​IMG]
    Gary Wolford
    [​IMG]
    Gary Winters
    [​IMG]
    Gary Membrino
    [​IMG]
    Gary Membrino, maybe one for cool photos!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Gary Membrino

6. well Saturday photo's have just arrived!
    [​IMG]
    Gavin Couper
    [​IMG]
    Gavin Couper
    [​IMG]
    Gavin Couper and Doris Toombs who was a scorer. I love this photo with the flying garbage pail.
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin

7. [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin in the car Steady Eddie Flemke Sr. made famous
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Cole Bounty car which was never beaten when he ran it.

8. [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin 2x and Barney Mattie 7 and also Fats Caruso
    [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin

9. [​IMG]
    Gene Bergin, wow what a nasty crash, notice the driver's seat?!?
    [​IMG]
    Gene Siuzdak
    [​IMG]
    Gene Gamache
    [​IMG]
    Gene White
    [​IMG]
    Geoff Bodine

Hey come on let's talk photos here! What do you see in some of theses photos, some really awesome stuff those guys built back then, some really amazing some not so safe!

10. k9racer

k9racer

After going thru the garys I was surprised you did not have any photos of Gary Balough and Billy Harvey. Just to add somthing about them Billy died last year. Gary is pulling his prison time in Pencola Fla about 3 miles from the 5 flags speedway. The judge who sentenced him said " I want him to hear the cars racing" The judge also did another odd thing. Gary is scheduled for release in 2010 the monday after the snow ball derby. Now that judge made it ruff. Its a minimum security p;ace old navy barracs with a fence. I have a friend who works at the I belive its the Sufley post. He said gary mows grass and picked up trash. I love the circle track threads.. Do you notice the PRIDE that these guys show when standing by their race cars. Later Bobby..

11. Do you notice the PRIDE that these guys show when standing by their race cars. Later Bobby..[/quote]

They sure do Bobby and you know, they are true hot rodders at heart? They just took a different turn. Many of them do have rods also.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I gotta ask what did this guy do to spend time there?and the judge sounds like a real prick!

13. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I believe that Gary was found guilty of dealing in drugs way back in the eighties or maybe even later. I can't believe he is still in prison!

14. [​IMG]
    Billy Harvey's car driven by Gary Balough
    [​IMG]
    Gary Balough

from nascar.com
    Gary Balough He will spend more time in prison than he spent in the Busch Series.
    Balough, who competed in Busch in 1982 and '90, is serving a 30-year sentence in a Tallahassee, Fla., prison after being found guilty in a $300 million marijuana and cocaine smuggling operation.

Balough was one of five drivers indicted in the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney Bruce Kritzer said in at least one instance a racecar was filled with smuggled marijuana, loaded aboard a trailer and towed across a state line.
    The ring reportedly smuggled at least one million pounds of marijuana into the country each year after beginning its operation in 1976.
    Balough's fourth-place finish in the inaugural Busch race was his only appearance in the series that year. He raced three times in 1990 with no top-10s.

15. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Freeport
    [​IMG]
    Sometimes I have photos thrown in here's one of Islip Figure 8
    [​IMG]
    8's wrecking
    [​IMG]
    49, Chris Young who went on to modifieds and still races, his son Chris Young Jr. has been testing Legends down in N.C. and been racing go-karts

16. [​IMG]
    Al Deangelo ace of spades
    [​IMG]
    Art Tappen
    [​IMG]
    Axel Anderson
    [​IMG]
    Benny Giarputo raced the 8's at Islip, though it was a cool photo to share.
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Jarzombek and Junior Ambrose 7-11

17. [​IMG]
    Charlie J
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ed Brunnhoelzl at West Hampton
    [​IMG]
    Bruno Brackey
    [​IMG]
    Bob Park

18. [​IMG]
    Bobby Lane 6, Tom Bladwin 7 on fire, Gentleman Jim Hendrickson
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Charlie Jarzombek and Tiger Tom Baldwin in his other race car.
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Jarzombek coming out to paddock area, check out the mini mod in the back ground.
    [​IMG]
    Craig Meyer, his son Wayne Meyer races Super Pro Trucks at Riverhead, heard he sold the truck and will be racing Grand Enduros.

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

wow $300 million, thats no small time operation!
    I look at some of these photos and imagine what they must sound like, all kinds of different exhaust configurations.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Balaough will always be remembered for the "Batmobile" at Syracuse's Super DIRT Week. Gary also had a fair amount of Cup starts, I remember meeting him briefly when he was driving a Cup car for Bob Rahilly and Butch Mock around 1981, 82; he had a promising career.

21. Pete, you grabbed some great ones for today. a couple of comments though.
    1. Artie Tappen in the # 14 today is quite the builder of rods and customs, I figure the viewers would like to know that fact.
    2. Axel Anderson also ran in the first paved Daytona races, sportsman class I believe.
    3. The photo of Charlie J and Tom Baldwin, both now deceased and two of LI's greatest Modified chauffeurs both lost their lives on the track. Charlie not that long after Richie Evans @ Martinsville and Tommy The Tiger Baldwin @ Stafford.
    There's a story that goes along with that photo that I won't go into now but, it was one of Tommy's favorite photos and he had it hanging up behind his desk.
    4. In the photo with the flames, Jimmy Hendrickson pulled Tommy Baldwin out of the fire.
    5. #19, Bob Park is Bill Park's father, the first driver Dale Earnhardt hand picked to drive for him and was rewarded with a win. Then was involved in a couple of freak accidents that curtailed his Cup, Busch and Truck driving career.

22. A few mistakes, but I know what you mean pops, Bob Park is Steve Park's dad and Bill Park is Bob Park brother.

Also Tom Baldwin was killed at Thompson after side swiping a light pole in the infield.

Rich was looking for photos of Gary but thought that one was too new. lol I know you get on me for having troyer style chassis. :O)

23. Thanks Pete, makes one wonder how someone can screw up so easily. I really do have to get out more often and get real oxygen to my brain cells. Sheesh.

24. k9racer

k9racer

This is his second trip to pull major jail house time. He was asked why he went back in the drug business and he said to pay off the last lawyer bills. Keep them coming.. Thanks again..

25. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

this pic is cool!
    found it on google images... unity raceway, maine?

Attached Files:

26. nice photo jon. Mons. stuff!
    [​IMG]
    48 Ace Canupp and 4f Bill Wark
    [​IMG]
    88 Ed Lindsay, 57 Vince Conrad and 46 PeeWee Pob
    [​IMG]
    Al DeAngelo, this would be the car Jim Hendrickson would drive for the Ferrante family.
    [​IMG]
    Allen Clark
    [​IMG]
    Al Michalchuk

27. [​IMG]
    Al Michalchuk
    [​IMG]
    Al Michalchuk
    [​IMG]
    Al Tasnady hauler
    [​IMG]
    Barney Barnstead
    [​IMG]
    Budd Olsen Hauler

28. [​IMG]
    Bob Williams
    [​IMG]
    Bob Newton
    [​IMG]
    Bob Krollage
    [​IMG]
    Bob Krollage
    [​IMG]
    I hear this is Rich's new secret project....shhhhhh.don't tell anyone. lol
    just kidding here's Bobby Pickell customized Caddy. No one ever said racers had good taste, mostly the one's who raced on dirt, they were picking mud out of their teeth.

29. [​IMG]
    Bobby Bottcher
    [​IMG]
    Bill Havilon
    [​IMG]
    Batissa hauler
    [​IMG]
    Bud Olsen
    [​IMG]
    Carl Van Horn

30. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

[​IMG]
    Carl Van Horn[/QUOTE]

Uh, that should be Parker Bohn, I don't remember Van Horn doing duty in Skinner's 659.
    Man, I used to love it when that showed up at Islip, that fuel injected GMC 6 was unique!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.