Register now to get rid of these ads!

5W stance/chassis inspiration request

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Zenor, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Kougaz roadster - is this thing on? :)

2. Thanx Ryan, do you have the issue #?

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here's another of my personal faves....

The Smith Roadster...

[​IMG]

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Mike: I have it at home... I'll get it tonight.

Kev: It's on... I'm just really bad with names!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Who's car is this? That firewall forward look is something I'm very interested in. Looks a lot like a 1930's English Riley, or Delage GP car.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Humm... This one have coil overs out back?

7. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

A couple more of this wonderful car........

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry... I have to do this. I'm not normally a vain guy, but...

For a guy like me that just really likes the late 40's style, it's hard to get past a simple '32 chassis with stock bones, dropped axle, and reversed spring eyes... So athletic...

I've been too busy driving the car to take nice profiles shots of it... I'll get around to it.

Attached Files:

• 04b.jpg
      04b.jpg
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
  9. Body style makes a huge difference too, IMO... the Kougaz is my favorite roadster (and favorite Deuce) of all time, but its chassis just wouldn't work for a 5w. To me an ass-up big rake looks great on a fenderless 3w (or a sedan), but less so on a 5w.

10. loogy

loogy

As much as I like Tom Branch's roadster and the Jim Khougaz roadster, if I were going to channel a five window, it would have to be done like that So-Cal coupe. That look would be perfect for a late 50's look.

However, I have to say that I like the look of Doug's and Busby's coupes better. I also like the stance on that blue roadster with the black wheels. Somewhere in that range looks really good to my eye.

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

My FAVORITE '32 5w of ALL time.
    This car fucking RULES!
    I don't know exactly why, Hemi, stance (just looks PISSED, don't it?) or what, but if I could afford to build a '32....it'd be CLOSE to this coupe.
    Don Tognotti '32

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

My dad and I did that on my car.

I apologize...can't remember who took these photograph's.

Attached Files:

13. I dig a lot of the features of the Tognotti coupe, but quite honestly a suicide perch on a 32 just seems wrong... the only '32 suicide setups I've ever liked were the Doane Spencer and the Rolling Bones cars, where the shell is still in front.

14. Hot damn! That's some nice work Nic.

Drew relocated the wheel wells on Marx Barry's A Tudor, something like 6". It turned out swell.

15. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That WHY it rules......no one has the BALLS to build something like this anymore it SEEMS......I'd do it in a SECOND!:D
    Gives it a stretched out, rail, racer look.....knowhatimean
    It was at the Seattle Roadster Show a few years back (the one time I actually went), and I couldn't get ENOUGH.

16. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

The Koughaz roadster is cool but it goes back to my comment on Rogue's latest...

When you channel a 32 over a 32 frame you fight the upward sweep of the front of the frame when it comes time to mount the grill shell in relation to the top of the cowl. On almost all channeled 32's on duece rails, the grill shell ends up too high and makes the car look 'flat' from front to back. Look at the side shot of both the Koughaz roadster and the Collegiate Coupe and you'll see what I mean...

It shouldn't be that hard to overcome but if those two cars couldn't pull it off, then maybe it's a bigger problem than it seems.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm not huge on the suicide perch simply cuz it's the easy way out... I like the rolling bones setup cuz of the thought involved with the engineering. Personal taste stuff... I wouldn't turn either down. In fact, my favorite builder currently has a suicided '32 sedan on his frame table as we type...

18. Like I said, I like many things about it and it's obviously a classic (that pic I think is from Pebble Beach). I'd classify it more as a 60s era show rod like the Catallo coupe or the (?) coupe from New Jersey, the white one with the molded quad headlights.

Inarguably cool, but I'm going for a more late 50s lo-buck street racer look.

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Well, yeah, I see what your saying.
    Instead of a suicide perch, I'd just cut off the frame horns, mount the spring to the 'bones @ 3-4" back (moving the axle forward) to get it low. I plan on doing this with a lowly Model A frame, splitting a '32 wishbone and '32 axle.

And as for the Rolling Bones cars......they ALL rule!!!!

20. beatnik

beatnik

Agreed car is bitchen, but when you get to the front it looks cheap.

Attached Files:

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

well, since Rolling Bones has been brought up..haha, and we did a 5 hole for John Swander well, most of it..he decided to finish her up..thought I'd throw a pic of it here...we didn't chop her, shes an old time hot rod that got a new lease on her life...enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I appologize..I stole the second one from someone..John never stood still long enough for me to shoot the car haha..the first one I believe Ken took...

22. rattom

rattom

Here's 2 that hit me the right way. Tried to buy the green one but I was too cheap. Heard it went to Denmark.

Attached Files:

23. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

i know it's a 3w (and that does change a lot like you said) but the stance/style on this really does it for me!

Attached Files:

24. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

one more...

get rid of the radials......and hood.......for me at least

Attached Files:

25. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

here is a coupe i built for a customer.

-danny

Attached Files:

26. BLEH

BLEH

I really like this one...I think it's a Kennedy Bros build.

Attached Files:

27. Thanks Chris, those RB cars just squeeze my nuts.... can you provide more details on how the RB front axle/ spring setup is done? Is it identical to the Doane Spencer? I know the framehorns are cut and the spring is set back, but what kind of spring and crossmember is used? Unsplit bones?

28. Cshabang

Cshabang

the setup is not exactly like the spencer car...we do not z the frame...the rest is probably close (I've only seen the Spencer car in person one time..and I was more in awe at the rest of it since I see the frontend everyday..haha...we use a Model A crossmember, and a custom width spring(which will change depending on which axle you use)...we split the bones, and with the caster we run, the bones mount cleanly in the frame... the rest is pretty much standard fair I suppose...

29. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Another

Model a crossmembers, dropped axle, reversed eye front spring, with unsplit bones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. hatch

hatch
    from house

How about the Ken Bentz coupe with a chop....

[​IMG]