Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 chevy truck steering box info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glasshole, Dec 16, 2010.

1. glasshole

glasshole

Picked up a 1957 chevy truck box and shaft @ a swap meet for $20.00.
    when you turn the shaft it has a tight spot in it.I have never torn one of these apart and not sure what to look for or where to get parts for it.Any info or tech help would be great.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Bill

2. mike16

mike16
    from bisbee

check your service manual. pretty clear instructions in there. I would lube it first. I use STP Oil Treatment. Top it off. then adjust it according tp the service manual and see if the lumpiness goes away.

often the lumpiness is caused by two things, if the vehicle has been in an accident the impact will transmit its force through the steering parts to the steering geer. the roller balls will absorb that impact and the will leave little dents in the steering geer. its called brinelling. Typically if you get that lumpy feeling in one area thats what causes it. if the lumpiness is felt through out the range of rotation of the steering shaft then it could be that the vehicle it was installed in had a very bad case of steering shimmy.

it could also be rust.

rebuild kits are available and you can always use it as a core for trade on a rebuilt one

3. glasshole

glasshole

Mike,Thanks for the info.Since I am not using it in the 57 truck is there any place to get the info without buying a whole service manual?

4. Curt B

Curt B

5. squirrel

squirrel

it's supposed to have a tight spot at the center of travel.....but I don't know if that's what you're feeling when you turn it.

The bushings for the old Chevy boxes are no longer available from GM. Lots of restoration parts places sell parts kits, but they generally include a lot of stuff you don't need. Replacing the bushings and seal and cleaning, lube and adjustment usually do the trick. Unless the "hard parts" are worn out, then you need to find another steering box.

6. glasshole

glasshole

Thanks for all the info guys.This helps alot.

Bill

7. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013