Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 Buick conked out yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruce Fischer, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I went to the parts store and found one for a newer car. The ends wont match, so I cut off the end and hose clamped it onto my pickup. Easy peasy

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

From your first post you said you had fuel and weak spark. I'd check voltage at the coil with the points closed If it hasn't been changed the wiring been around a long time.

3. Sunbeam, now I am not sure if it was weak because I was directly looking at It the sun light.I have it in the garage now and will recheck it . So if I make my stepson hold the coil wire and crank it over and it knocks him on his ass its good right? lol.Bruce.

Arabie777 likes this.
  4. stimpy

stimpy

its even better if you have a magneato . but coils do work good for this ... actually you should hear the spark crack and it should be dark blue ....

5. stimpy

stimpy

some of the 1970s style fuel pumps had a extra port that did the same thing if your using a late model style motor it was on the a/c equipped cars . and the return was 3/16ths to return and keep the pump cool .

6. don't know if this might help but I have seen the wire that goes from the points to the coil threw the hole in the distributer have the insulation wear or otherwise become grounded from movement of advance etc resulting in a weak spark or no spark condition if this is the original wire might be worth checking out drove me nuts once figuring this out

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

had that happen as well in the distant past :p was a PITA to find!

8. I was worked on sealing the gas tank yesterday, it was so warm out I did it out side.Then as the sun set it cooled off so I dragged it it in the house and hid it under a table in the corner and covered it with a sheet to let it set up a few days so far the warden hasn't found it. lol. TO all my friends on here and their familys Have HappyThanksGiving .Bruce.

Arabie777 likes this.
  9. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Hey Bruce,
    Check your grounds and make sure they are clean and making good contact. If not when you try to start your amp meter will drop.

Hard fuel lines, a glass inline fuel filter and some fuel line heat shield will keep your engine fed with clean, cool gas. I picked up a copper sock for my fuel pickup at LMC I think my line is 5/16 the sock fit perfect.

My truck was out of commission intermittently for two seasons until I went through everything. In retrospect I wish I would have gone through it sooner.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  10. She got a new tune up, gas tank sealed and steel gas line installed. Just got a new ballest restor for her today and a new starter relay will be in for her tomorrow.I hope that does it.Bruce.