Register now to get rid of these ads!

55-59Chevy parking brake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jeffd1988, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Hello fellas. Been a little since I ask again. I have this 59 Apache that used to have the parking brake on the drive shaft part of the transmission sm420 to get idea what was in it. So now I went with all different drive system. Tremec TKO with a Dana 60. And this truck does not have any brackets or anything for a park brake but it does have holes to install all that stuff. I see I can buy the stock park brake handle off of eBay. Or mayby a wreck yard but there not much around were I live. So I was wondering were can I buy the hole stock style kit for that truck with brackets. Plus pics of how to do it would really be helpful.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

find a half ton parts truck...they don't reproduce any of that stuff, that I know of.

The factory assembly manual shows all the gory details, you probably ought to buy one.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  3. I think I've got an extra handle. PM me if you're interested.

4. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

I'm interested with anything I can get for parking brake. I need for sure all the frame rail mounts rod ect...

5. squirrel

squirrel

I have a big box with a lot of 55-59 brake parts....somewhere....

send me a PM to remind me to look?

jeffd1988 likes this.
  6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I agree with squirrel to get a manual as it will show you how it all goes together. In addition to the handle and rod, there's a lever that connects to a cable which runs thru 2 pulleys. This connects to a funky balancing assembly which slides along a long slot in a bracket off the frame. PM me as I may have some parts for you too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeffd1988 likes this.
  7. Here's the handle. If you want it you can have it for the postage.

IMG_4509.JPG

jeffd1988 likes this.
  8. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

9. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Alright I have all the hardware for this particular truck. Thanks to squirrel. So I was in the hardware shop looking (osh)&(ace). I see you can buy cable by the foot. There always this part (But).. How to connect the ends to the cable like threaded adjusters & balls. Or any other way you guys have done to bypass that part and put (u) and (clamps)?

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There used to be a "mechanical switch" you installed in the brake line from the master cylinder. Step on the brake hard, set the "switch" and all 4 wheels are locked May be easier than finding everything you need for the stock parking brake. The only drawback, as I see it, is you have NO backup brakes ("emergency brake") to fall back on if you lose hydraulics. Just a thought. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Find a garage door repairman, they have the cable crimper. I think I made a cable end once by drilling a small hole into the end of a piece of 5/16" fine all thread, or something.

I have also extended a few cables by adding a length of allthread, and a coupling nut.

12. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Ok sound good. Ill follow up on this let you guys know what I got going.