Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Studebaker business coupe to South East Gasser rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Earlier in the build I showed pics of the gas petal build and the very important adjustable petal stop. It's just as important to have a clutch petal stop, many pressure plates have been ruined because of no petal stop. Here's a few pic's of the way I did the clutch petal stop on this build. This is the petal with the stop welded on the bottom, hard to tell in the pic but there is a bolt run in from both sides. it will make more since in the next pic. studebaker 005.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The petal back in the car in the out (or all the way back) position. Note the stop is thinner material on this side because there is only the load of the return spring here, and we are all about weight. studebaker 003.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now in the all the way down position. The metal 3/16 moly on the down position and .090 in the out position. Also note the bolt for the heavy load is closest to the petal so not to bend the bracket. Also adjustable both ways. studebaker 004.JPG

Dog_Patch and AHotRod like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

From the top with out the pads in place so you can get a better idea if how it works. There are other ways to do this but this way worked better on this car and was lighter weight. studebaker 001.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The top seat mount. The shoulder harness wrap around the big bar between the loop so this also keeps them from sliding from side to side. studebaker 002.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A high back seat is a big no no in a era correct gasser and can even be seen from the out side from a distance so we use low back seats and build a head rest mount just like they did in the 60s. studebaker 001.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The steering wheel mount, we make these to where the steering wheel will unbolt with just one bolt. I think the quick release wheel mount that you can buy from mail order looks a little out of place on a 60s car so we do it this way. You could use a push pull pin instead of a bolt for quick release. studebaker 007.JPG

Valiant Thor, AHotRod and enloe like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I'm liking this build and learning as it goes.Thanks for all the posts.

Quain Stott likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thanks, I wish I could have spent more time and included more details but these build thread take a lot of time that I don't have but I do enjoy doing them. Glad you are enjoying it, I have several more on here.

bigjohndsl likes this.
  10. captmullette

captmullette

quain, I noticed that your panhard bar is level , mine angles down....??should I redo it to be level...thanks great build

11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Quain - Those pedals could have a build thread of their own! Nice work on the pedals.

Panel Pete and AHotRod like this.
  12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Captmullette it can be a little off but really should be level when at ride height. Think about what happen's if it's a little down hill, as soon as the rear end go's down (or body up) the bar go past center, the more it goes past center the faster the housing pulls off the center line of the chassis. just the opposite if it's running up hill it will pull out of center the other way. Always think about a pivot as a circle pivoting around the solid mounting point. I have a hard time explaining stuff like this because I'm no engineer at all, not even close LOL.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A gasser has to have the wheel opening cut, not really but they do look cool when they are and most were back then. We thought this car would look better with out a flare on the out side of the opening, give it the old cut out at home look. So I left 1/4" extra and rolled it under for strength. I had to go very slow not to change the shape on the quarter. This will be all the picks in order you will have to look close to see the change, might blow them up to see better. studebaker 001.JPG studebaker 002.JPG studebaker 003.JPG studebaker 004.JPG studebaker 005.JPG

volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The finished opening no bondo needed at all. studebaker 006.JPG

kiwijeff, 69fury, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

How much tire-to-opening clearance do you allow?

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I like the look of your radiused fenders.

But if you wanted a flair of some kind, Ive always thought that the fender lip from a late '60s or early '70s GM pickup would be just about perfect, and would blend into the "step" of the Stude quarter.

Again, I still like the simplicity of your approach.

Quain Stott likes this.
  17. deto

deto

bad ass. subscribed.

Quain Stott likes this.
  18. captmullette

captmullette

thanks quain, that make perfect sense......will do

Quain Stott likes this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You can have all you want but they get to looking funny if you get too much. I put stops on the shocks so they won't hit if you go over a bump.

20. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

Looks great can't wait to see it finished

Quain Stott and volvobrynk like this.
  21. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looking awesome

Quain Stott likes this.
  22. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

IS ROCKINGHAM THIS SATURDAY? IT SAYS ON THE SEG SCHEDULE BUT IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYBODY IS TALIKING ABOUT GREER.

23. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

As I understand it, Rockingham is an exhibition by several of the SEGA members during the PDRA spring nationals which is a 2nd tier sanctioning body that filled in the void left by Al-Anabi leaving the ADRL and the ensuing meltdown. It is not a nostalgia event which is why it is an invite only deal.

Greer is like the home-opener and is open to everyone.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tyler is right we have about 12 cars going there just to add a little something to the Pro Extreme show that that already have. We will be running Saturday in rotation with there main show. It is not an old car event, we will be the only old stuff there. It is going to be on live stream if you would like to watch from home.
    The Greer race is going to be April 25th and we already have 26 cars pre entered. That's a lot of cars that meet our strict rules, so it should be one of our best shows ever. We plan to set the all time record for spectators through the gate at Greer Dragway. We didn't miss it by much last time.

25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tyler Rockingham is open to everyone it's just not one that they all wanted to do because it's so long and drawn out. We like our show to be over in just a few hours, that's better for fans and racers. Hope to see you at Greer.

26. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

They run TNT at the PDRA deal? I know anyone can get in the gate . . . didn't know that anyone could run their car.

I will for sure be at Greer . . . hope to have the motor back together this weekend for the dragster.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Sorry Tyler, I should have said it was open to any South East Gasser member for the Gasser deal only. I'm not sure about the other classes.

28. edweird

edweird

QUAIN. I STILL HAVE THOSE HEADLIGHT BEZELS IF YOU NEED THEM.

Quain Stott likes this.
  29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

GREER GASSER RACE POSTPONED until next Saturday May 2nd.
    A lot of thought has been put into this decision and even if we try to have it no one is going to enjoy it in between rain showers.Please share with all of your friends.

We can't control the weather and it's a good thing we can't, because if humans could control the weather we would have it screwed up like we do everything else.

30. 9sectruck

9sectruck

Can't believe I missed this one, subscribed. Great watching the master at work.