Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 51 Chevy P/U Daily Driver Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy54, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jagrod

jagrod
    from Landosnow

Hi Slamit,
    I have a really clean rust free 1950 GMC still in original paint that I might part with, either before or after I slam it. Its a one ton now but will be getting IFS, and a chev 10 bolt rear axle with 5 bolt hubs all around, and a 350 4 bolt.
    Jagrod

2. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Sounds like a nice truck...you should prob pm him incase he doesnt look back at this thread for awhile.

3. shadams

shadams

4. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

Eric called me and asked if i could give him a hand taking the cab off his truck frame. he bought me cup of coffee. i thought that was fair. LOL

chris (Dull Chrome) came over to lend a hand as well. 3 of us to lift the cab off.

the first pic Eric is wondering what happened. no more than a month ago. it was running, driving & stopping truck. great to cruise for the summer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in the last pic we had to push the cab down the street and around the corner. to get from one side of the property to the "body shop" side of the property. haha

[​IMG]

5. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Dante,I offered you some bacon that i didnt eat at breakfast too dont forget!:D
    Thanx for the help buddy, BTW...its a sickness, I cant leave well enough alone man!

6. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Ok, so here is an update...I got the new pans cut to fit and, then hammered out some lower side to floor panels and welded them in before I spot welded the new pans in. This is a quick to finish daily driver so but-welds and perfect finishing is not what im after ( I have one of those in the garage now)..a solid quick repair that will last the test of time is my mind set. Some seam sealer paint and heat/sound shield will make it all better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So my 4" dropped leaf kit and the 3" dropped axle from Nostalgia Sids came in along with the updated drag link, ty-rod and reworked pitman arm, steering arms and the spindles installed for me... it was def worth the time and money using Sid..the guy knows his shit and the turn around was perfect! I also ordered a wire harness from (I think its Bob) Rebel Wire. Great people again and the price was right for a complete product! Thanx to all the HAMB Dealers!

[​IMG]

Degreased the frame an motor and its ready to come out an have new gaskets and seals installed. Paint the chassis and install all the new suspension next!
    [​IMG]

8. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Got the motor/trans out of the frame and wire wheeled frame and all the components so there ready for paint. I used Por15 where I could and brushed on Rust-O-leum over the rest and sprayed on parts where needed. The re-assembly of chassis starts today! Hopefully re-sealing the motor by next weekend so that can go back in also!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Cool project! I'll be watching this one.

10. shoebox50

shoebox50

Cant wait to see it done.

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Hah..me too!! I love the project but wanna drive it too!:cool:

12. Wicked50

Wicked50

I am in the same stage with my truck.

13. oldman2

oldman2

Coming along very nice.

14. Nice work! I love that body!

15. Are the 4" dropped leaf springs for the front or rear? I'm betting rear? Where did you get them front? The secondary leafs look much longer than originals???

16. Tin Can

Tin Can

cool project. One of these trucks is on my list of wants to build

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

The 4 inch drops where a kit from TCI I got out of summit. The kit went together well and replaces both front mount, rear shackles n mounts, axle perches, shocks, shock tower, lowered leafs and U-bolt kit. Its a bolt in deal the pretty much fits into all the stock plug weld holes once ground out (I welded all mine together). The front leafs I left alone except for placing the main leafs with reverse eyed leafs as one was broken..the secondary looks longer in pic but is not although you need to remove the cup as it doesnt work with reverse eye.

Ill load pics of the chassis complete tonight along with the 283/trans resealed, cleaned and ready to go back in!

18. tonkadawg

tonkadawg

damn man, I wish I could work as fast as you do. Looks good!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you are really making some headway on it.

Check the clearance for the reversed eyes on the tower that the front springs mount on. Make sure the leaf clears right at the front lip of it as that lip may hit the leaf unless you massage it a bit.

20. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yeah I found that out last week when I was tryn like hell to install the eye bolt and it wouldnt go! Out came the grinding stone and she got a massage for sure!:D

21. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

So I got all the suspension installed along with new brakes lines and connection hoses. Nostalgia Sids axle set-up was worth every penny to have him do all the adjustments to steering arms and re-kingpin the spindle for ya. The front main leafs are replaced with reverse eyed leafs and I put all the other stock leafs back in. The rear was a TCI kit that went together very well as I mentioned in a post above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So there is only one drum on in pics because I realized durring install that somehow my dumbass left the inner bearing race on one of the spindle and was sitting as Sids shop in Oklahoma!! He was cool about shipping it out that day to me!
    [​IMG]

I had a Gennie Shifter kicking around from my 54 build (I didnt like the way it shifter and moved around in the car set up with my 700R4)
    I called Gennie and they said it would not work without buying new brackets and selector plate..........It now works with a few adjustments some shims and a welder!:rolleyes: The wrench and screwdriver were replaced by stantions welded in, Im not leaving them there:D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  22. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Fri was re-seal the motor day and so my buddy Dante (Lowsprings) came over so I wouldnt leave any wrenches inside:eek:. The motor ran great but was kinda seepy and just a grimy mess so it was worth taking a day to get it all resealed and clean it up a bit along with the trans too..

This was after degreasing like 4 times!
    [​IMG]

Motor/Trans seperated and ready for disassemble
    [​IMG]
    Thanx for the help bro!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All sealed and on with the shiny new parts
    [​IMG]

Ill have the complete assembly pics up later I hope!!

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin' good man!

24. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Ok, so the motor is painted and put back together...finishing the tranny today so evevrything can go back into the chassis..then it body work time!
    Before an after wire wheel n Barb-Q black
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very nice project. Should be a great way to haul stuff around town.

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx, My thoughts exactly!! For what started as a quick refresh of a good little driver...Yeah, I got a bit carried away!:D Although it is still the extreme aerosol overhaul up to now!

27. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

I really dig your work style. I don't see many people that know what they want and get right down to it. I was shocked to look back and see how quickly this all progressed.

On a personal note, I loved the color and aged look of the paint in the beginning (I almost hate the use the word patina now because just like "barn find" it seems to have been ruined by misuse). Awesome truck.

28. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Thanx...Yeah I have some time and want it done so its a daily mission! The paint looks very old and weathered but is only like 10-12 years old..alot of it is chipping away and sands off very quickly...so im starting to strip cab tomorro...its getting a nice tan color when complete!Thanx again.

29. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Lookin good Eric ! ! !

30. shadams

shadams

damn dude! I'm stuck on mine waiting for some welding to get done and you just blew right past me. Like the the way then engine turned out, mine is almost identical from what you started with. Keep it going, and good luck!