Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Detroit Autorama Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ambman, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ambman

ambman

I have talked to a lot of people from the MHRA and unfortunately didn't find anything about my car, we happened to talk to Pat Slevin when he had the Tommy Foster car at Autorama and he showed some pictures and that's how this whole thing got started. I would appreciate if some of the people with old photos would look through their collections of photos and post them, get this stuff out there even if you have to ask someone to scan them, there are a lot of us here who are more than willing to help. As far as anyone highjacking the post, it's cool with me, I find this stuff very interesting, oh yea, I also think it's funny people keep referring to me as abman, makes me think I need to start going to the gym.

2. Harms way, I always remember the Merc with the blue glass and lakes pipes. It wouldn't be the same without it.

I used to hang out at the Ecorse Monroe gas station on Ecorse Rd. about 2 east of Telegraph. In the same block was the Village Market that my parents owned in 56' and that Chili Catallo's parents bought from my parents. That is where the Lil Deuce coupe started, in that gas station. One night, the Lil Deuce coupe and Don Vargo's 34 roadster were sitting in that station, both in white primer, long before they ever dreamed that they would be top showcars. I striped the little deuce coupe, and a guy by the name of Pacetti striped the roadster. Just guys hanging out. Always friendly rivalries. Pizza, Pepsi's with peanuts.

3. ambman

ambman

Does anyone know of a guy named Bill Dehne? Pat told me when he was about 14 (around 1954) he was riding a bus down Grand River and at Beech Daly (I may have the street wrong) he saw two Hot Rods sitting at a Pure station , he told the driver "you have to stop!" and he ran over to look at the cars, one of them was my Roadster and there was a coupe done almost exactly like it, a tall skinny fast talking redhead guy comes out and introduces himself (Bill Dehne) they talk about Hot Rods and became friends that day. Pat has not talked to him in years, he was living in Gaylord or Oscoda last time Pat talked, I tried to call a number Pat gave me but no answer (I was told he may be in Florida for the winter)

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Okay, I know who Chuck is now, I did talk to him abit while I was there.

5. Yeah Chuck was the old guy:D

Ok now comes the bald jokes:eek:

This is a great thread, lots of real good hotrod history in the Detroit area.

I'll try and get the pics I have scanned.

6. bttt
    Selfishly I take this back to the top because I have really enjoyed this post and thank everyone for what they shared. I know we hijacked this post, but I also think we all enjoyed it.
    No harm, no foul.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is a lurker, a been around the block a time or two kind guy, that lives across the street from a HAMB member that is also more of a lurker then poster, who really needs to share his stories. I just heard he's following this post and personally knows just about every car thats been mentioned. I'm calling him out to PLEASE add a story or two, or many, to this thread. The younger generation in Detroit NEEDS to hear these stories so we can pass them along so they won't die.

Mr Lurker, if you have photos from back in the day and your willing to share, but don't have acess to a scanner, please call me and I'll take responsiblity for them, I'll come over, pick them up, scan them, host and post them and you can then fill in the blanks. I will then return them to you unharmed. Please take me up on the offer. It would be a great project to take on this winter. Call me 734-673-6930

8. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

:D :D :D ..all in due time :cool:

..the old guy with hair,
    CC

9. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

Well it's been a week or two, but I got prints from the slides...My dad seems to think it was later than 1980....maybe late 80's.

Attached Files:

10. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Whow,...
    Yeah I think it's the same car,..... I mean, I don't think that could happen twice by accident,... But you know the old saying,.. "Beauty is only skin deep, but Ugly is to the Bone !"
    Huh,.... I can't believe I am going to say it,.... BUT, ( here it goes ) some one should try to find that car and restore it,..... after all it's a 1st Autorama car.

I'm going to take some asprin now,.................

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

"Ms Ugly" ended up in a junk yard for a reason........
    Autorama history or not, it'd take huge focus and dedication to bring something that ugly back to life. Are those all headlites on the front end, or portholes or something???:confused:

13. Denise, in 1953 the hottest thing in Detroit was the General Motors showcar call the Le Sabre that was patterned after a jet fighter style. It was a roadster and very stylish. It had a front pod that actually had headlights in it. They were behind the little grille, in the picture, and would revolve out. My guess is that this car tried to copy it on a sedan. This car was actually new or just a year or two old in the 1953 Autorama. I can't imagine restoring this one, and I am really into bringing back cars from the era. I guess this just points out that not all restylings were successful and that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Attached Files:

14. Does anyone know where the results/winners of the early 1950s Detroit Autoramas can be found? In particular, I am looking for the 1955 First Place pickup. It was held in April and I have been looking for car magazines for May and June of 1955; and have not found anything yet. Also, is there a historian for the Autorama that could be contacted? Any information would be helpful.