Register now to get rid of these ads!

50's Detroit Autorama Photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ambman, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ambman

ambman

I've been researching my Roadster and a guy I met years ago sent me some photos to scan. The color photos are from the 1955 Autorama and the black and whites are from what I would guess the late 50's because there is a Roth car (Excaliber which was renamed Outlaw 59) The first two pictures are my Roadster (Single pictures) Hope you enjoy them as much as I have. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. epinut

epinut

Very cool! Any recent pics of your roadster?

3. ambman

ambman

Yes, these are from when I hauled it to my house this fall, my Dad has had it since 83 (the photos with the nailhead in it are from 1983 )

4. Sweeeeeeet! You gonna bring that thing to Cobo this year?

5. ambman

ambman

6. Great shots and I was there! I see Frank Mack's 27T that is now owned by Bruce Meyers. The wheels are unmistakable. The Gold Brick that has now been restored and was in the last Autorama. A couple examples of Jimmy Jones Bubble Skirts, The Arctic Sands Fat Ford built by Clarkkaiser,
    Wow, these are really great old pictures.
    I think the Outlaw is from a little later than most of these pictures.
    Thanks for sharing these.

7. ambman

ambman

Not sure yet, I have some old timers telling me I should do a full restore on it and go for a preservation award next year and I have some friends who think I should put it in there the way it sits this year. At the pace things are going I will be happy to get it running in the spring, you look like you're close to painting your car, it looks great Marc.

8. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

WOW! cool pics

9. Put it in BOTH years!

I'm not really that close to paint. I still have a ton of body work to do on it. Kevin is just giving me a hand on the stuff that was chopped. There are still some small patches to be made, holes to be filled, and dents to be dollied. I should have the windshield soon though. I'm just going to drive it to CObo as-is. What ever I can get done between now and then.

Well, whatever you decide, that's a great story you have to tell about the triumphant return to Autorama. Too cool.

10. ambman

ambman

The photos were taken by Pat Slevin who owned the Tommy Foster 32, he took the photos when he was 14 or 15 , they were a small size, 2" x 3". The only photos that were dated were the color photos and they have a development date of April 25th 1955.

HotRodDrummer likes this.
  11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

are the pics ~2 1/4" x ~3 1/4" or actually 2"x3?"

12. ambman

ambman

The color ones are exactly 2" x 3".

13. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Cool pics and even cooler car. :cool:

14. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Shiny paint?

Boy, those guys back in the day sure didn't know what was traditional, did they...

15. ambman

ambman

And to think I was just going to primer it and put in Mexican blanket upholstery.

16. That sea foam green chopped and channeled 3W is just the most! That color, and those little fenders, really make it. I hope it still survives.

It would be nice to see more pics of it (or find it hidden in a garage somewhere).

Steve

17. Wasn't those show's held at the 'Rotunda' Building in Detroit...... I remember my Dad takeing me there .

18. ambman

ambman

I have to go through my Magazine collection, I swear I have seen that car before, I think it was in a magazine in the 50's.

19. ambman

ambman

Pat (as well as several other people) said they were held at the Detroit Armory on 8 Mile.

20. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Very cool. thanks for sharin' and good luck with the resto.
    You're gonna drive it, right?

21. ambman

ambman

I know there was a custom show (not the Autorama) at the Rotunda in the 50's but I don't know what year. I ran across pictures on the web but didn't bookmark them.

22. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

That's sweet you're finding some history on the roadster :cool: :cool:

just to clarify one point hr1940, the Golden Nugget has been restored not the Gold Brick.....unless the Gold Brick is a totally different car that was restored and at the show last year.....

Enough of my babbling,

Thanks for the update :cool: :cool:

23. ambman

ambman

I plan on driving it as much as possible. To the guy who asked about the Rotunda there was an article in Rod & Custom http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/61658/

24. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

The first one was held at the U of D Fieldhouse (now called Calahan Hall), then moved to the State Fairgrounds before moving to the Artillery Armory and then back to the Fairgrounds prior to Cobo.

BTW..Is Tom your uncle?

CC

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well actually,

The First Detroit Autorama was held in 1953 at the "U of D, field house". then it went to the Armory, then in 1961 it went to Cobo where it has been ever sense. The Autorama was put on by the MHRA to raise money to build and open a Dragstrip. The Dragstrip "Motor City Dragway" has come and gone, but the Autorama continues.

[​IMG]
    First Detroit Autorama 1953
    [​IMG]
    From the other end of the hall.

If you can see the roadster in the second row, 6th one back, you can only see the front end and tire. the car belonged to Bob Vivian. this is that car 5 months later.
    [​IMG]
    A summer night, on 9 Mi., aproaching a hill....... a drunk was passing a car on the other side of the hill oncoming, Bob lived,...... but not his passenger. That is Frank Mack's trailer and house on the corner of 8Mi. and Randall.

This car was owned by Frank Taubits of Dearborn, this car won 3 Place at the first Autorama.
    [​IMG]
    it's in the barn now waiting for it's turn in the garage for restoration.

26. I think you may be right. The Gold Brick, was built by Ernie Szelesi in Lincoln Park in my era and I just went back and looked at the Golden Nugget from the 05 Autorama and they are probably different cars. The golden nugget has the headlights flared into the top of the fenders. They sure look alike, I wonder if they could have been the same car. Maybe someone can answer that.

27. ambman

ambman

I have an Uncle Tom but probably not the guy you're referring to.

28. Sweet ... thanks.

Steve

29. Harms Way

Harms Way

Your right, I forgot about fair grounds.

30. Harm's way, Thanks for the great photos, it really brings back the memories. I vividly remember that the chopped 1940 Ford sedan had the fenders skirts welded on and I couldn't figure how he could ever change a tire. I was in awe of the Frank Mack roadster, it was way cool for a 13 year old kid.