Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 48 Dodge COE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Egan, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

I recently bought a 48 Dodge COE; the truck[​IMG] is in pieces and seems to be in very good shape considering age. My inventory of parts indicates only two items needed (a "Dodge" emblem for the side of the hood and a hood hinge); there might be more yet undiscovered. The chassis is not original, it is a 76 Dodge motorhome with a 440/727 setup. The cab is perched atop four vertical mounts that are currently held in place with C clamps. My question is, how high did the cab sit above the ground (from the ground to the bottom of the "skirt" below the door)? I think I need that as a starting point for rough re-assembly to determine the proper location for the various brackets that support the cab, radiator shell and step support brackets. I want to be sure the frame is properly setup and bracket location determined prior to frame blasting and body work to the components. If anyone out there has experience with this type of a project I'd like to talk. Thanks.

Read more: http://forums.classictrucks.com/70/9493195/general/48-dodge-coe/#ixzz2gP5XhzL9

2. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

Had to do it.....

Attached Files:

3. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

I'd like to show pictures but don't know how. HELP!!!

4. Jim , its just a learning curve . Go down to go advanced and go to pict . area click on manage att. and I use the browse and hit my photos and select ones I want , upload , close and preview and hope it works . Good luck and welcome .

5. xtremek

xtremek

Subscribed and waiting for pictures.

6. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

It's been a while since I posted regarding my 48 COE project. I've made some headway, I bought a 77 Dodge based 32 ft motorhome and tore it apart for the longer M-500 frame, larger 19.5 in wheels and all electrical. It also has a 44/727 drivetrain, I'm much happier with it than the shorter chassis with 17.5 in wheels, the front wheel hole of the 48 cab will now look full. I'm going to try to attach some photos, hang with me, I'll get this figured out "with the help of some friends". OK, I have attempted to attach pictures; if it works you should note that the cab is on the "short" 78 chassis that came with it; Ill try to add some pics of the "large" 77 demo and frame soon. Jim

010.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

012.jpg

016.jpg

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      481.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That cab looks extremely sound ! Did not see any rust or other damage in the pics. That is an uncommon model and to find one in that condition.....what are the chances??

Looking forward to following your build progress.

8. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Nice Coe ! Good to see your leaving motor where it belongs. Keep up the good work!

9. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

Hnstry, thanks for looking. I stumbled on to this; went to look at a 57 Olds (a model I love) but found it not to my liking. I saw the Dodge sticking out from behind a shed and inquired what he, the owner, was going to do with it - he said probably sell it, I said sold! I always liked these old COE as a kid on a farm in OR, my Dad would always buy used long hood Chevy's, my brother and I always wanted a COE but Dad wouldn't pay the extra $200.00 dollars or so. I hope to get better and later pics posted. Appreciate your interest, any good ideas?

10. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

McNally, thought about relocating to mid frame but have decided that unless I run into problems it will stay where it is. I may have to ditch the water pump mounted fan in order to accommodate a wider radiator and if so I'll have to add electric units. Thanks for your interest, Jim

11. Jim , looks like your of to a good start . Keep up the good work . You lucky dog , got the Portland swap meet coming up . Blue

12. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

Thanks, actually going to be a vendor. I've got so many projects going on I have collected way to much stuff - just ask my wife and kids. I'm going to try to attach pics of my now nearly stripped 77 Dodge RV chassis (the big one). The prep work on this chassis requires cutting off of all the supports extending from the frame rails, cutting off the bracket holding the steering gear (being on a motorhome it was placed about a foot left of the left frame rail due to the wider front of the RV, also, the pitman hooks toward the center of the chassis and won't properly align with the drag link;it will be replaced by an International P/S unit. I need to remove the power brake system, it is located on the outside left rail exactly where the left front cab support brackets need to go in order to properly place the cab over the engine. Once the cab support is in place I intend to place the cab and start "assembling" the fenders, skirts radiator core support, front panel and hood to ensure the fore and aft placement is correct as well as height above the engine and ground. Jim Note: Pic upload didn't work; something about a "security token"; sent a message to the Administrator.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  13. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

I am learning on this picture posting thing, hope I get better. The pics above were to give you an idea what was involved in disassembly of the RV, the pictures below reflect what I now have and an attempt to show the extent of brackets, supports and the brake assembly that must be removed; there is also a couple of shots that show the cab support on the "short" cassis that I originally got with the Dodge cab. I will construct the cab on the "short" frame because my roof is high where it now sits, the "large" chassis is in a lower shed in which I will make the mod necessary in order to soon transfer the cab support assembly to it. It will be good to get to the actual build; but, there is much to do in preparation. I need to get both 440 engines pre-lubed and running to determine which I'm going to use. More when I get more done. Jim

022.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  14. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

I've made a little progress recently. I'm going to try to post a couple of pics to reflect the effort. I lifted the cab and set it back on the rails so I could access the cab support assembly. I purchased a set of poly body mount bushings for the unit but discovered the "nipple" on the bushings were larger than the hole in the cab support assembly, so I had to enlarge the holes. All went well and I have the assembly back in place, it's level and the cab has been repositioned on the support unit. All of this is on the short frame, remember I'm going to do the mock-up on that frame because it's in a shed with a higher roof. While I do the mock-up on the short frame I will push on with modifications necessary on the long frame that the unit will be built on. So far I have removed the brake and power steering assemblies on the long frame because they were in the way of the mounting positions for the cab support when I move it over to the build. Photos attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  15. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

I've removed the very bulky brake and steering assemblies which were in the way of the future cab support assembly. I've included a couple of shot of the removed system and the "new" steering unit; it's position is temporary awaiting the cab assembly mock-up to ensure alignment adjustments. The modified brake assembly will be addressed later in the build.

Attached Files:

16. cool project! how far are you off the 101?

17. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

55 dude. I'm 13 miles out of Belfair which is 19 miles off 101 at Potlatch. Happy to have a visit if you're out this way. Jim

18. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

19. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

Hi guys. It's been a long time since I reported on this site, stuff happens. Now, to catch you up to date. I made a major shift in drivetrain choices; I shelved the 440/727 combinations for a 1996 (low miles) Cummins 5.9 diesel with a 47RE automatic transmission. This resulted in the loss of a parking brake which had been on the output shaft of the 727. After a lot of thought and help from friends came up with a parking brake that is attached to the pinion on the Dana 70HD differential. This change allowed a two shaft driveline as opposed to the original three. Another significant change was away from the 19.5 wheels to 22.5 in order to better fill the wheel openings (remember, I'm going for a stock appearance, there are to few of these trucks to chop it up, I appreciate many of the modified units I see but there are a lot of Chevy's out there). Now, 5 lug Budds are all but impossible to find and I needed 7 of them. I took 7 20 inch "widow-makers", cut the hubs out and sent them to American Wheel Specialties in Kenniwick, WA; the put 22.5 rims on the hubs, great job. Almost all of the mechanical is done (except for the steering box which is an outboard mounted Saginaw, still trying to figure that out), so am shifting to electrical. Bought a complete harness with relays, etc. Currently stripping the un-necessary wires (ABS, seatbelt warning, door ajar buzzer, airbags, etc.) and modifying the "branches" to comply with the engine/COE relationship. Any informed opinions on steering gears appreciated. 010.JPG

Attached Files:

• 024C.JPG
      024C.JPG
      File size:
      223.5 KB
      Views:
    • 018D.JPG
      018D.JPG
      File size:
      188.5 KB
      Views:
    • 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      139.5 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
    • 047.JPG
      047.JPG
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
    • Stock 2.JPG
      Stock 2.JPG
      File size:
      193.8 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      216.4 KB
      Views:
    • mn.JPG
      mn.JPG
      File size:
      191.6 KB
      Views:
    Hnstray likes this.
  20. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the update! Cool wheel mod! Excellent choice on the Cummins/Dodge diesel...

Ray

OahuEli likes this.
  21. Jim Egan

Jim Egan
    from Tahuya, WA

Ray, thanks for your "welcome back". This project has turned into more than I expected (both from an inter-face and expense standpoint); but, I'm excited about it and am committed to getting it on the road. I've got a Garwood hydraulic hoist (vintage 1948) that I'm going to put on the chassis (trial run) to support a flatbed to haul cars to shows, raise the bed to about 5-6 degrees to lower the rear overhang; not enough to dump the car; then once the car is off I'll raise it enough to expose this "ancient" hoist. Pictures to follow. Thanks for your interest, off to the shop. Jim

Hnstray likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.