Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 48-54 Chevy/GMC trucks! lets see em ALL!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jun 19, 2006.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

thats cause the beds are UGLY!! :D LOL i like the front ends though.

how much ya askin?? how much without that rediculously large intake?:eek:

2. Clark

Clark

Here's my truck starting with the first pic being about 1989. I even left out a few of the looks it had. I used to change it just about ever other year.
    Clark

Attached Files:

• 481.jpg
      481.jpg
      File size:
      54.1 KB
      Views:
    • 483.jpg
      483.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • 485.jpg
      485.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
    • 484.jpg
      484.jpg
      File size:
      56.2 KB
      Views:
    • 486.jpg
      486.jpg
      File size:
      70.6 KB
      Views:
    • DSC02957.JPG
      DSC02957.JPG
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
  3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

This thread is perfect, I'm looking into getting one of these once my wagon sells. I found a local DRIVER for $2000.

I wanna see more chopped ones though! More specifically ones done by leaning back the front windsheild. I can't decide which style chop I prefer most on these trucks though....

4. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

the leaned back windshield is the only way to go on one of these trucks (IMHO). otherwise the roof just looks too fat and stubby... plus i don't like the idea of welding across the entire width of the roof.... TWICE!!!

5. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark, the scalloped version was my favorite.

6. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

clark was youre roof rotted or did you just want a vert?

7. txrocker13

txrocker13

JohnnyLG, that truck was the shit in black primer! Nice! Clark, man that truck looks sweet no matter how you dress it up, great work.

8. Clark

Clark

Olskool...I just wanted to cut it off.

Reggie...I so wanted to put the scallops back on before coming to Texas. It will get done one of these days.
    Clark

9. Very sharp GMC. :cool:

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

What, no commercial green ones with white grilles? Bummer.

-Dave

11. johnnylonghair

johnnylonghair

We took 5in out of the front and 4in outback. No, just lean the windsheild back hard, yes on a s-10 with air bags and no, stock size bed

12. Here is a few of my '54 in progress. Still running a straight 6 with Camaro rear. Many plans for a mild custom. :cool:

Attached Files:

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have been toying around with the idea of building one and selling my '04 chevy standard cab

I have thought about finding a all wheel drive Astro van or 4 wd S-10 and building an all wheel drive version. From what I have seen with these it looks like they will handle the slightly wider front (compared to the standard S-10) and I would add the required SBC. My thoughts are it would be a good all year round ride even if it snowed (thou it does not do that here but in the future I may live somewhere it does). I am thinking about the long term.. Since you have to set the body over the frame so far anyways I would not have to lower the factory 4x4 susp much (I think they can handle a 3" with torsion bar adjustment) and it would still sit low enough (I like them low)

Clark or others that have S-10 frames, do you think the 48-53 chevy truck could handle a front susp that was a few inches wider then the standard S-10 width (I think they are about 2 to 3 inch overall wider....??) run a standard offset 15x6 or 7 in the front

Looking at Clarks his chrome reverse look pretty deep.

14. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Here's my old flamed 53. Sub'd, BBC, 9" rear, Black bc/cc with flames, www's with olds three-bar flippers. I loved it, but hated cleaning it.
    The one pic is before the flippers and front bumper.

And my old blue beater 54 shoptruck.

These are my favorite type of trucks. I'll have another shoptruck soon.

Attached Files:

15. Here Grumpy, is your truck lowered with stock suspension or do you have a IFS?

16. Sorry, Need to double check my spelling when posting replies. Should read "HEY there Grumpy".

17. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

The flamed 53 had a 69 camaro clip, with disc brakes.

The blue truck had a 85? cutlass clip.

18. 48stude

48stude

Here's mine again. Bill

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      73.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
  19. Clark

Clark

Boones...you could go a little wider. BUT.....WTF do you need 4 wheel drive for in South Carolina??? It may snow once or twice a year and if you wait a half hour it melts away :)
    Clark

PS....when you gonna put Boones Farm on the side of your car????

20. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Alright, I'm going to look at the 53 I found out about tomorrow. Just got off the phone with the guy, apparently the truck has been upgraded to a 292 (he thinks, he says it's one of the big sixes), powerglide trans, 12 volts, upgraded ignition system, powder coated wheels, and a non-original powder coated flatbed :rolleyes: . I'm assuming it still have all the stock suspension, brakes and steering. He also said he had an electric wiper kit for it he's never installed. If all goes well I'm gonna try to pick it up and attempt to find a real bed for it asap so I can lose the flatbed. Sounds like a pretty good deal for his asking price of $2000.

Why does it seem that everyone does a subframe or frame swap on these? Is the stock stuff really THAT bad?
    If anyone has in progress pictures of chopping thes I'd be real interested at lookin' at em'.

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i think it's just because it has a straight axle and paralell leaves stock and it's hard to get them too low with that setup. plus you get IFS, disc brakes and better steering wit hthe newer units

that does'nt sound like too bad of a deal. i've been watching alot of them on Ebay lately... those electric wiper conversions are a couple hundred bucks from what i've been told.

22. Millhead

Millhead

Here Is one I had in 1978
    Sold it in 79 wish I still had it, oh well!:cool:

Attached Files:

23. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

some pretty cool trucks guys. i'm surprised i don't see alot more radicaly customized ones though. pancaked hoods, custom grills, maybe even the occasional section job or heavily customized beds. if i had one i think i'd build it more hot rod/work truck style (like alot of you guys) but i sure do like the kustoms.
    we're building Springer's 50 3 window into a running board draggin kustom truck. it'll prolly be somewhere nearer the mild than the wild side but definatley in the middle there somewhere. if you've got any pics of some more radical kustom ones feel free to share them with the class...

24. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

My last one, recently in the hands of a new owner, my brotha from anotha, fellow club member, Brian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. txrocker13

txrocker13

I really dig them when they are dropped in the back like that Grsmnky. Good work

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

When I get one of these (or a same years Dodge or Ford) I'm planning to keep the stock stuff and just upgrade the stoppers and powertrain. I don't think a truck needs to be a sportscar and I'm not a big fan of low trucks.

I already posted my feelings on it here.

-Dave

27. rsg2506

rsg2506

Here's my beater with lowered stock suspension (dropped axle/lowering blocks). It drives and rides great but the stock gears pretty much limit it to around town drive'n and haul'n

-Rich

Attached Files:

28. murph

murph

Seems like with every AD truck thread, more and more come out of the woodwork. Folks are probably tired of seeing my '53, but I never get tired of
    posting it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-murph

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I don't recall seeing your truck before, Murph, but it's so well put together, I don't think I'll get tired of seeing it either.

-Dave

30. bg

bg
    from USA

Here is a couple of shots of my 48 Chevy..

Bg:D :D :D

Attached Files: