Register now to get rid of these ads!

425 and 472 Cadillac motor questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nekroman, Jun 22, 2004.

1. nekroman

nekroman

Here's the deal:

I found a 425 cadillac motor from a late 70's cad for 175 bucks, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them (good deal for the cash, hp/torque, if they're worth it,etc). I already have a 472 (that I know are good motors)from a 1968 cad that needs a crank.

Here's the question:

Is it a good deal? If I got it, would it be better to leave it alone or does anyone know if the crank would fit in my 472? Cause if I could put those small combustion 425 heads on my 472, that would really make a good motor, or so I would assume.
    Can anyone help me out?

2. nekroman

nekroman

3. Mojo

Mojo

the 425's are good motors, they're just ignored because they're the same physical size of a 472-500, but without the cubic inches. Like the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement. They respond to the same mods as the 472-500, such as intake, cam, and headers. I've heard of guys making strong motors out of them.

Talk to the guys in the forum over at 500cid.com, they're pretty knowledgable about interchangablity.

4. Check out Maximumtorquespecialties.com they are leaders in Big Cad performance and have lots of good tips. You should find everything you need there to build the 425. Good luck.
    I also have a 68 472 motor in my 52 Cad and other than oil pan issues, have had no problems in two years.

5. nekroman

nekroman

thanks fellas.

6. Hot rod did an article called "Caddy Hack" with a 69' 472 and they showed how to get a stock caddy running into the nine second bracket by stripping it down to the frame and running slicks...! [​IMG]

I wish they'd reprint that article...., it was funny as hell...! [​IMG] They did it...!

Mark

7. Wingnutz...I read that article with mucho interest. They got the stripper down into the high 12's with no more than taking off everything [in increments] from the running chassis until they had a seat with seatbelt and a small hunk-o-cowl to connect the steering column and pedals to the frame....
    9's woulda been even cooler but even a 500 caddy won't do 9's in stock form..

8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Nekroman, you can, and should, use the 425" heads on the 472" as the big motor has way tooo much compression to run happily with the crap gas we have access to now. Maximum Torque Specialties is the source for any Cad related stuff. I used his stuff on both my 472" and my 500" and the guy knows his stuff inside out and backwards.

9. nekroman

nekroman

Thanks krusty

10. [ QUOTE ]
    Check out Maximumtorquespecialties.com

[/ QUOTE ]

try here cause thats where they are at~~~> http://www.500cid.com/

11. 63CadiMan

63CadiMan

Also look up Cad Company out in Alb. N.M. they have all kinds of stuff for the 472/500 motors. may have to google it to get the right web address..

12. Uuuuh...this is a 6 year old thread...:rolleyes:

13. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Right!! But I wasn't here 6 years ago. Now I have some places to look at related to the 425 & 500 sitting in the shop. Thanks for bringing up the thread. It's called archives. There for reference.

14. Can't say they did'nt use the search this time, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't! :D

15. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

never pass up a cadie mill

16. Ramblur

Ramblur