Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 3M Sandblaster Clean-N-Strip Disc. Whos used them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmillsUT28, Sep 18, 2014.

1. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

I did a search on the best way to remove old paint as I am needing to take my 52 Buick down to metal. I found a lot of guys saying to buy the 3M strip disc. So I bought 6 of them and also bought the plastic adapter that goes on the angle grinder first.

My problem is when I screw on the adapter there's not enough threads left on the grinder to screw on the sanding disc! There has to be something very simple that I am not figuring out. If I need another adapter to make the threaded grinder shaft longer then where do I buy it? can't find it anywhere.

Any help?

2. Voh

Voh

I haven't used that, but do use the fiber disk with a plastic backer. I have to remove the back nut from the grinder to expose enough threads.

3. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Here we go.

Attached Files:

• 3M.JPG
      3M.JPG
      File size:
      454.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3M 2.JPG
      3M 2.JPG
      File size:
      159.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3M 1.JPG
      3M 1.JPG
      File size:
      362.1 KB
      Views:
  4. 48 stylemaster

48 stylemaster
    from Canada

Remove the steel washer to expose more threads. The one in the 1st pic. Then screw on plastic backing plate.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

Ok so that will unscrew? Never had to mess with it. Will try that out. Thanks!

6. 48 stylemaster

48 stylemaster
    from Canada

Should just pull off

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. What's the backing plate for? I have never used the sandblaster ones but the regular 3M ones I just put on the grinder and go no need for a backing plate. Maybe these ones are different?

8. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I have also used them without a backing plate and had no problem.

9. jmillsUT28

jmillsUT28
    from TN

When I ordered the disc it said on the box that I need to order the backing plate. It looks like it just adds some support to it. Going to see if that washer will come off if it does not then I will try it without it.

10. Look at the 3M clean and strip Roloc discs pn 7476. You can use them on the edge or flat with your standard Roloc back up pad pn 5540 are what I use

11. aaggie

aaggie

I use the 3ms also on my Milwakee grinder. No backing and the threaded ring screws down to hold the disk. I also use them to remove mill scale from hot rolled steel before welding, works quick and leaves a clean surface. A quick wipe with acetone and TIG up a storm.