Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Now the frame is ready for disassembly and blasting. .[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  2. I started the chassis mockup by removing the front suspension then installing the new one that I assembled using the spring and wishbone that I took from my 36 tudor . I had the spring eye reversed and then blasted powdercoated and reassembled them with my dropped 36 axle that Loudpedal dropped 1.5 inches that was also blasted and powdered.[​IMG]

3. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Absolutely love this build. Waiting with baited breath for the chop. Good luck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

5. With around 2.5" of drop in the suspension I wanted another 1.5". So I marked the c/m and made a few cut's. .[​IMG]

6. Then I flattened and trimmed the top and tacked it back in. [​IMG] .

7. I tacked the front together. . [​IMG]

8. Then I cut the rear. .[​IMG]

9. Then pieced the rear back together and welded it. Then I ground and cleaned up for another 1.5" of drop. .[​IMG]

10. Now the crank will not clear the c/m so the motor mount's need to be raised. .[​IMG][​IMG]

11. A pair of washers with the right size hole in the center and 2 pieces of pipe 1.5'' long make a nice pair of risers. Now with the crossmember cut to access the inside the risers are welded in place and cleaned up. The front is now ready to reinstall the axle assembly. .[​IMG]

12. I acquired a set of shock's and swaybar off of a newly restored 40 that someone street roded. The shocks are rebuilt and ready to go. Now front end is re assembled and ready to go. .[​IMG]

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's coming along real nice!

14. Very innovative fab on that cross-member! The '40 sway-bar makes quite an improvement in handling, IF the bushings are new or updated...

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Very nice build.Keep the info coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. Thanks. I dident want to totally remove the c/m and I also did not want to have any weld go up and over in one straight cut. this way I was also able to only cut one of the 3 sides at a time to keep everything aligned correctly. I was also able to use the cut out's for the filler's. still all 36 metal.

17. thank you. There's much more to come.

18. thank you. Lots more to come.

19. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks for documenting your great work! Now I know what the bottom of the door jam looks like. So whats the story on that three window?

20. Milkweed combined two rough 5 windows to make one good body made it a roller finished most of the metalwork. Then traded it to a guy that had never built a rod before and couldent afford to piece the 3 window together. Win win for both. fun road trip through rural Montana met a lot of neat people and saw a lot of cool stuff.

21. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Maybe one day I will learn to start a thread and do one on some of our road trips...

22. That would make some interesting reading and pictures.

23. Now on to the rear cross member after disassembly. It's time to roll the rear end out and then cut the cross member from the frame. .[​IMG]

24. aparrently I dident get any in progress pic's but I cut the cross member out then I pie cut the sides. then flattened it in the press and welded it back together. then I trimmed the sides witch widened when the cross member was flattened. After welding the bottom I marked the side rail for a 1" flowing c notch. .[​IMG]

25. Then I cut the inner and outer frame. .[​IMG]

26. Then I cut the bottom flange at the dump stop hole and tacked the front flange to the frame. then I heated the rear flange to make a little more abrupt drop to give the spring a little more clearance without having to shorten the leg on the rear of the cross member like I did on the front leg. then I welded inside and out and ground clean. .[​IMG]

27. Now I thought I should box the area where I slimed the side rail down. So I cut a set of box plates and drilled some holes in them. .[​IMG]

28. While I was at it I also welded the lip of the frame where the inner and outer panels meet. Then ground the welds and tacked the box plate in place. .[​IMG]

29. With both sides done d[​IMG]one the frame is flipped and the top is ready to weld. .

brando1956 likes this.
  30. 4444Design

4444Design

cool project

subscribed