Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 350 Turbo trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Jul 12, 2014.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Polish it. Seems the popular thing to do today.

2. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I may try rebuilding it myself. I think I can.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Out of all the things I've had to pay someone to do, rebuilding an automatic transmission never fails to astound me. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose and a wealth of knowledge to gain.

4. I have a couple of local shops I bring transmissions to have rebuilt. Just too messy to do at home for me and when a shop does it, it comes back surgically clean and is guaranteed to work.

5. If you rebuild it, remember that bend piece of wire is SUPPOSE to be in there!!!!!! Don't use anything but ATF to assemble it.

6. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Well, good news. After setting all weekend, I cranked up the old model A and the trans has worked perfectly since. Shifts good. I assume the seals had become brittle and pistons sticky from setting so long and just needed to soak a while. Thanks for all the advice.

7. Glad it all worked out for you! Mikey.

8. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Well fellers, my trans is back to doing the same thing again. Pull a minute and quit, set a minute and go again. LOL I did put a bottle of "stuff" in it to maybe loosen up a valve or swell up a seal. Who knows, maybe it'll work. Yeah right!

9. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Fellers, I know this is a bumb ass question but is there any thing that would let a transmission suck the fluid through the system but not allow it to drain back into the pan properly? Mine still pulls a minute then completely stops. Let set a few minutes and it goes again.

10. txturbo

txturbo

have you checked the dip stick when it stops working to see where the fluid level is?

11. You still screwin' around with that sick transmission.. you're making us all look bad....

12. 1930 A

1930 A

Sounds like maybe the pressure regulator is sticking. Sits for a bit and the spring pressure overcomes the stickiness Then it drives again until the regulator valve sticks in the exhaust position again

13. txturbo

txturbo

If it's caused by sticking parts or hard rubber parts, a can of Trans X will fix it. But, nothing is going to work until you get it full of fluid....which I haven't seen a reply yet confirming this has happened yet. Start it drive it some to warm it up... Check the fluid level 5 or 6 times to get a good reading then add till it shows full then repeat that process until you don't have to add fluid anymore. I use to work in a tranny shop and I did installs all day long. I would first pour a gallon in.....start it then add another gallon.....run it thru the gears check the level at least 6 times....then add till full....then drive it. Sometimes this process could take an hour before it was finally right.

14. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I pulled the valve body and cleaned it good. It seemed ok though. Got it back together and full of fluid. It moved ok but slipping bad in forward gear. Ain't spending another minute working on a dead horse, LOL Gonna get another one. Thanks everybody.