Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 350 Turbo trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smilin Jack, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I just put a used 350 turbo in my Model A. New filter installed. The trans went into forward and reverse gears and moved ok. After a couple of minutes just stopped pulling in any gear. Let sit for a few minutes and started pulling then same thin again. Any quick thoughts?

2. Jack,Try adding more transmission fluid. HRP

FlynBrian likes this.
  3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The way you fill a 350 is to put 5 quarts in it, fire it up and let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off and add about 5 more until the dipstick shows it is full. You have to fill the convertor and the rest of the system, like the cooler.

Don

4. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I thought I had too much fluid in it. Showed way over full on the dip stick so I drained out three quarts. I didn't have 10 quarts in it though. Using a 10 inch 3000 stall converter. I think I had put about 8 quarts in it.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You may want to check the filter you can bolt them on eather way if wrong it will cover the inlet and not draw fluid as needed.

6. yea sounds like a filter issue, seems like its getting clogged or something. double check that before you start ruling anything out

7. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I'm using on of those Chinese aluminum flexible dipstick tubes with a plastic dipstick. Who knows if it's showing accurately. LOL
    Thanks fellers. I'll pull the pan and check the filter.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

With a th350 it is easy to break off the little tabs that the convertor locks into that drive the front pump. We did it one time and the car had no gears. Also, if the convertor is pulled too far forward to bolt up to the flexplate it can cause the convertor to not turn that pump.

As crazy as it sounds, sometimes you can't pull the convertor all the way up to the flexplate because it does reduce the amount of snout going into that front pump. Mondello told me to seat the convertor all the way into the trans and make sure the tabs are located, then just pull the convertor slightly out and if it isn't touching the flexplate to put grade 8 washers as shims between the convertor and flexplate. I questioned how strong that was and he said "We are doing that on our 1200 hp drag car and it works fine there !"

Don

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

10. With a empty torque converter a 350 transmission take 12 quarts of fluid. HRP

11. you do know to check the fluid level while the motor is running?

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sounds like low fluid--minimum of 10 qts before they will function

13. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

OK, checked and cleaned the trans filter. Some junk from sitting so long. Put a washer between the converter and flywheel just in case. Refilled with fluid. It moved as usual then stopped. Puking fluid out the vent. What causes that?

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Do you have a cooler hooked up?

15. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

I don't yet but haven't driven it other than back and forth in the drive way a few feet. Not enough to get it hot at all.

16. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Are you using the right recommended automatic trans fluid? Some atf's have more anti-foaming agents in them and not using the right fluid can cause this, and more. When the trans fluid heats up it will expand and push it out the vent tube if overfilled. Hook your tranny cooler up. Could be several different things.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. elba

elba

If your fluid level is ok and it is slow to go into gear or slips , the seals on the clutch apply pistons are hard which causes the clutches to slip or even not hook up. This slipping action is what causes the clutches to wear. There is no external adjustment. If this has happened you should have a burnt smell.
    "Last resort ", here is what I would do. Get a can of transmission conditioner and put it in and let it run to distribute the conditioner. All the conditioner does is swell the seals so that the pistons will move with the transmission oil pressure.
    I have seen seals so hard that they look and break like carbon.
    Good luck !

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are your lines looped or just blocked off?

19. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

the cooler lines are looped so it can circulate

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That should be ok. Did you buy chance check your dipstick when you had the pan off to see how far down in the tranny it was sticking.

21. it almost sounds like it is not pumping, since it came out the top. loosen the cooler line ports and see if fluid is being pumped out. you said the trans was running before right? you just removed it and put back in with filter and T.C.?

22. the engine should be running for at lease 5-10mins before you check fluid level

23. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

The trans has been setting for several years. Was running then but that's a long time ago. It pulls back and forth several feet for a minute then just quits pulling. Let it set a while and it will go again. This things gonna drive me to drink. If I can get it to go long enough. LOL

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

If it's pulling back and forth it's pumping.

When it quits pulling it's because it has pumped the fluid into all the little passages and wants more.

25. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

And this place knows entirely too much about a transmission introduced in 1969 :D

26. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

LOL I can feed it!

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It could be sucking air and making the fluid foam which would expand the volume and make it come out of the vent. That could mean that the level is low. I've had some success with KW TransX. If it doesn't cure the problem at least the inside is clean for disassembly.

28. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

It's still doing the same thing. I'm not going to worry with it too much. I'll just get another transmission,. Maybe it'll set there and fix itself. LOL Thanks everybody for the help.

29. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

In reflecting on the defunct turbo , I think the years of setting up probably dried out the front pump seal and if just isn't able to put out the pressure it needs. If it doesn't swell seals by the first of the week, I'll just pull it out and rebuild it or get another one. I don't have much hopes for it but it was free to start with. LOL

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus