Register now to get rid of these ads!

'34 Plymouth RPU Update - Body Substructure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Nov 27, 2006.

1. xtralow 60

xtralow 60
    from houston

How did those pieces work for you ? Everything fit ok ?

2. Worked great with minimal trimming. Thanks, Dave, for the use of your sheetmetal brake, and to Mike Mosely for bending them for me.

3. Been having some issues with my daily transportation(now I gotta learn how to rebuild a transmission), and delays because of Roundup(no complaints there!), but I HAVE done some work on the RPU. I added a driveshaft loop, and built the mount for the cowl steering box.

Driveshaft loop. I got some Sch. 80 pipe (I don't want to hear it! It'll be just fine! LOTS of drag racers have done it this way.), and some 3/8 plate. I didn't take pictures after finish welding. I will make some 45 degree gussets out of 2x3 tubing, but it's probably strong enough as is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steering box bracket. I wish I had been taking the time to prime everything I've done up to this point, a little at a time. Now I have to do it all at once. I hate painting, or at least sanding !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have also cut off the splined part of the pitman arm, welded into a tube big enough for the socket to tighten it back down, and found a BIG pillow block to support it where it will come out of the cowl. Still need to make the new pitman arm, and get everything mounted up. I will post pics when I make some more progress.

4. Damn Richard, you seem to be making serious progress. Keep up the good work!

5. Thanks, Smitty. I've really slacked off a bit. I have done a lot of little things, but not really finished any one part, as they all tie in together. I can't finish the floor until I finish the frame and put the body back on, I can't finish modifying the brake pedal and gas pedal til the floor is done, etc., etc! Isn't building hot rods fun!

6. Or weld necked! No matter how many times she asks you to do it:eek:

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Hows your luck with the ryobi drill? I bought the whole box set 3 years ago, and have built 2 hotrods with them so far. No problems....Pretty good stuff.

The truck is looking good!!

8. 34ply

34ply

Speedway Motors out of Lincoln have some economy hinges, I used early volkswagon on my 34 ply roadster, for a back panel look at an early fifties chevy pick-up nice curves.
    34ply

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hey Richard. Its fun watching your posts here. I've been following this since the outset, and its cool to see how your skill level is rising. You are getting to be a damn good fabricator. Congrats!

10. That's a hell of a compliment coming from you, Chaz. Thanks.

11. I inherited the Ryobi tools; I like them, but a few of the batteries are in need of replacement.

12. awesome man.. nice to see it comming along..

13. This is where I am so far; it will sit a little higher and definitely be painted, and not flat black with red wheels, either.

14. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Lookin' very respectable. Thanks for the update. Now go back to work on that thing!

15. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Primered Lowrider!!!!

16. I don't know why the photo didn't show. I got my daily driver problem solved, and I hope to get back to work on this thing soon; I also picked up a Shovelhead H-D project I pretty much just need to buy about a thousand bucks worth of parts and assemble, thus the hiatus on the roadster.
    [​IMG]
    I also got a grille for it.

17. any more progress?looks good with that grille,thumbs up!

18. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Looks damn good for an at home build. You're running air ride I take it? What's the total wheelbase?

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Richard D, this is going to be a rad looking RPU!

every time I see one, makes me think I should start looking for a pu cab...

cant wait to see what it looks like when it's done!!

20. All you need is a cowl and some doors, fab the rest.

21. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I had to...any updated pics? reports?

22. Not lately; I'm trying to get my garage in order so I can do some work out there.

23. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

I have to get the garage tidied up as well, that's why I'm checking out everybody elses' progress. Cant wait !

Derek

24. lowride84

lowride84

hey i like what your doing there! i just purchased a 1933/34 cab and dont know much about it ,but sure thougt it would be cool for my rat project... i plan on building my own frame too. as low as possible, never worked on anything of this era before or scatch built frame but up for the challenge....i hope you dont see many of these where im from, but ive been thinking about it for years. now that i found the cab icant wait to get started! your doing some great fabricating ! your neighbors are going to love you!

25. moparron426

moparron426

COOL project truck:cool: I have a 34 dodge roadster PU going together too, mine is a little different though. it has 18" wide pro Trac rear tires with salt flat wheels and it has a 440 in it. air ride and will have a narrowed 8 3/4 mopar rearend, it is on hold till I get my cab overs done here are a few picture of it.
    keep the pics coming on your progress. Ron...

Attached Files:

26. Where did you find that? I didn't think they actually built them from the manufacturer, mine is home made, but yours looks factory. More details, please!

27. moparron426

moparron426

I started this project about 20 years ago but as other projects came along it would get shelved and put on the back burner.
    it started out life a as a regular PU and I cut off the roof and lenthened the body 6" so I could fit in it better. last year I got some good work done on it frame wise and engine and trans mounts, I was going pretty good and then want back to other projects:confused: :eek:
    I am building a few COE trucks and a race truck that looks like a willys so the roadster PU is on hold again. someday it will get done, I HOPE. Ron....