Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. it is really nice considering both my dad and i drove the car to high school, he ran it on the track plus i traveled with the car from new England shows to Pennsylvania, new york/jersey.

2. as far as i know.

3. Was your plan to "go all the way" from the begining? Either way, that body looks amazing!

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. my plan was to sand off all the paint and repaint it but i was going to leave the front fenders on.
    at this point there are a lot of parts packed away, i have a spare bedroom full of parts. it took me quite a while to manage the storage and packing of the parts.
    i am glad i went this far, it will assure the car will stay in this condition.

5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

CHOP !! ;)

Although I'm a fan of chops on just about everything '30s, your car looks better unchopped to me. I know because I did a photochop of one of your earlier photos.

Then there's that pesky history thing...

Looking great!

6. thanks, maybe a chop someday, i did one on a 34 years ago that i liked. i like the fact that this car is not chopped it gives it that old car that is hopped up look.

7. pumpman

pumpman

Damn, that is one clean cebby! Just goes to show, take care of them and they will stand the test of time.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. I was over tb33anda3rd's yesterday to check out the stripped 33 body. I can tell you it is near perfect.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Pretty rare, pretty solid. Pretty rare to be that solid!

I got a line on a 1933 standard frame, and a good 1931 project. And non of them is that good!
    They don't come a long that often around here.

That's one reason why I like this build so much!!

blowby likes this.
  10. pumpman

pumpman

Yes, it looks damn near new!

11. :)

you didn't offer to start sanding.......:D

i have fixed a lot of rotten cars in my career, they seam to find their way to my shop. it is nice a treat to work on one this nice.

only car body i have ever seen better than this was Mallomikes '33 master. we only used a cup of filler on the whole car.......maybe mike will post a photo of his amazing chevy? hint hint

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

When finished with your Coupe still carry four people?

13. you didn't offer to start sanding.......:D
    I did not think it needed any:p

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. MalloMike

MalloMike

only car body i have ever seen better than this was Mallomikes '33 master. we only used a cup of filler on the whole car.......maybe mike will post a photo of his amazing chevy? hint hint[/QUOTE]

POSTED:

cpe.jpg

volvobrynk and TFoch like this.
  15. i may make cushions for the rumble some day....but who would ride back there anyway?
    mallomike and i double dated in my car one time, we fixed him up on a blind date and the four of us went out that night in my coupe.....we were all in the front seats. i drove, my girl was in the middle, mallomike was against the passenger door and his blind date and now present wife sat on his lap....... love at first sight or the magic of an old chevy coupe? a few years later he found his own '33 chevy.

volvobrynk and TFoch like this.
  16. POSTED:

View attachment 2874248 [/QUOTE]
    about time!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. was able to get the hood primed and the vent window and window channels primed, sanded and painted. DSCF3910.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. there has always been a couple cuts on the fender inner apron. i think they were from when the car had manifolds on it when my dad first built it. the metal was bent back but never welded. now that the fenders are off i welded them and sanded it smooth. i also had to fix a couple cracks on the front edge near the bumper brace. DSCF3911.JPG DSCF3912.JPG DSCF3913.JPG

19. headers all cleaned up; DSCF3917.JPG

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Trying to visualize the flow pattern inside the header. I'm guessing the four primary pipes all end at the junction by the pan rail but from there on can't tell. A compromise in flow likely but not as bad as the capped over the frame headers you see with the exhaust pipe welded right into the side.

What's the outer finish?

21. yes probably not the smoothest flow. the short section just below the point where the four pipes join is the piece that was added to clear the steering box. these had to be better than the stock manifolds they had on it when they first built it. you can see a photo in one of the earlier magazines.
    the outer finish is a non hamb friendly ceramic coating......it was a compromise of protection, cost, and look [old chrome?].......i beg for forgiveness.

hendelec likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Headers look great, are you blockng the body now? Bob

23. gas & guns

gas & guns

The headers cleaned up real nice.
    That body is just amazingly clean. That shit is just unobtainium today.

Mallomikes car is pretty damn sweet too.

24. Making progress and that's what counts. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've seen a lot of 'Hamb friendly' cars painted with catalyzed epoxy primer and polyurethane base/clear coat. You sticking with lacquer? I am, but then again I have a T5, among other things.:eek:

26. pumpman

pumpman

The headers turned out nice, totally understand what drove the final decision. Hows the body coming along?

27. i am finish welding and straightening the fenders now.....had to stop to eat....peanut butter and hamb.:)

i found a couple little spots to weld on it, and cleaning up the old antenna hole on the top of the cowl that my dad welded up back when he built it.

my wife went with the girls shopping. i put a do not disturb sign up and told her i will talk to her sunday night.:D:cool:

i used lacquer for the interior stuff......catalyzed stuff out side.

i like the way they came out, i am hoping they stay that way.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. sanded off all the blasting "fuzz". finished welding the fenders and a few small spots on the body.
    i also cleaned up all the edges the blaster could not get. DSCF3919.JPG DSCF3920.JPG

29. It looks great in bare steel!

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. yeah i like the silver with the copper colored frame.

studebaker46 and volvobrynk like this.