Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sorry about getting back to this late, my computer is running like it has a clogged fuel line, runs, dies, runs.
    dad told me today those headers were made by hedman, and uncle joe cut and welded them to fit around the steering box. when they were done they had them chrome plated. i replated them in '83 but they need it again after fixing a couple cracks.

2. yeah this may seem odd, but because of the changes, i needed to do a "pre build". fitting and fabricating while a car is all painted is a pita, including the interior pieces. making the body look pretty is now easy, and swopping the engine fun. also because of my work load, the car needed to be mobile and stay in a big enough piece that it wouldn't take up more than a "bay". i am also trying to take advantage of the upholsterers "slow" time, once spring hits he gets back logged. so to answer the question it was sorta planned that way.
    i could have driven it last summer but front porch needed rebuilding, gutter drains needed to be run, rafter- sheathing- roofing on the cottage, 12 cords of wood cut- split- stacked, garage roof, landscaping, drainage.........

3. LOL.... Priorities first my friend,as you well know,and have been covering.Your plan of attack is spot on,and just keep doing what your doing. Called cake and eat it too.........:)

4. was much better when he told it;
    he was driving to see a demolition derby in a buddies car that blew up on the way. he wanted to see the derby so he hitched a ride and when it was over he bought the winning car, then borrowed some tools and took every battery out of the pile of junkers to recoup some of the $25 he paid for the car. he swopped some parts from the "losers" and beat and banged the car back into "shape". he was stopped by the cops TWICE on the way home and managed to stay out of jail.
    another story;
    he had a 3/4 ton '56 chevy wrecker that he would tow everything with including one time he towed a mack tractor. he said towing it the trucks would take turns having the wheels touching the ground but he took his time and muscled it along.on the last couple miles he came to a little down hill that proved too much for the clutch, the 235's compression, and brakes. the trucks crossed the intersection went through some bushes and stopped against the front stoop of a house.
    "so what did you do?"
    uncle Joe "i put it in reverse and backed out"
    wish i could hear him tell it again.......

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    kiwijeff, Bowtie Coupe and volvobrynk like this.
  5. thanks, i told her this year; unless it is on fire, leaking or falling down, I AM NOT WORKING ON ANY HOUSE STUFF.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Stopped by tb33anda3rd's today just to see the coupe without fenders:cool:
    TEDBOWL 011.JPG
    TEDBOWL 012.JPG
    TEDBOWL 013.JPG

Paul B and volvobrynk like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Look at that pile of boxes, looks like a Chip Foose build is going to start any minute. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  8. Bob, your basement could look like that too......;):D

Coupes looking good, lotsa room to work on it. :cool:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  9. sorry i have not replied or updated, i took the computer back to the dealer and it was up on their lift the past bunch of days. they could not get it to break down when they had it. typical! i think the problem is with the charging system but they said they tested it and it was fine. i am buying a new cable anyway.

10. Lilred36

Lilred36

Hey tb33, I haven't been posting nearly as well as you have on my '36 build, but some here and there. Tough to do at the farm with little or no connection. Anyway, I'm curious what size of lowering blocks you're using on the rear end? I have 2" blocks with 16" rims and 235 tires, looks pretty good. But, I'm going to have Sid drop the front axle 3" (a bit nervous about that much but Sid says it's the best look) and with that much drop in the front I think I'd like the back a bit lower yet. Whaddya think??

BTW, am watching your thread, you do some really nice work, I wish I was closer so I could learn a thing or 50 from you.

Jason

11. Jason, the blocks are just a small wedge, tapering from 1" to about a half. they can be seen in post #63 of this thread. this car sits up off the ground, that is the way i like it. when you really look this car over it is not far from original stock and it would not take much to put it back [i never would].
    just a hopped up old car.
    i like some cars/trucks sitting lower, and i like yours the way it sits, but lower will give it a "hotter" look.
    thanks for the complements!

12. hey Bob, non of that stuff is for this car, but my friends credit card is still smoking......

13. Lilred36

Lilred36

I too like, well love actually, your car and how it sits, its right for that build. As for mine, I really want to see the top of front tire just inside the curve of the front fender an inch or so, I think is looks better. And thank you too for the kind words.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. thanks Jeff, some pictures make it look like i have room but it is more like Bobs basement. DSCF3815.JPG DSCF3814.JPG

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  15. okay i got a new power cord for the computer and it is working fine, at least for now:rolleyes:.
    these picture are from the last few days.
    i took the steering wheel off and took the box out. when i was a kid i tried to get the steering wheel off and broke a chunk off. and since this is a mercury series it is a smaller wheel than all the rest, 16" compared to 17". i tried the larger wheels i bought at hershey, they would work fine but the smaller wheel feels better so i repaired it. i drilled a hole in either side of the brake and inserted a wire rod for a skeletal support. i then filled the hole and stress cracks with jb weld and filed and sanded it into shape. primer and paint and it looks better than new. DSCF3816.JPG DSCF3825.JPG

loudbang and TFoch like this.
  16. DSCF3818.JPG DSCF3820.JPG i also took the steering box apart. the sector shaft i bought at hershey is the correct one. and i had bought new bearings and races for the worm shaft. i cleaned all the parts and gave it a fresh coat of paint. what i did notice is the steering shaft is smaller than all the others i have so the only wheel that would fit is the original one.

17. i took the generator apart and cleaned and painted it. i also polished up the end plates. polishing took two episodes of "the andy grifith show" DSCF3812.JPG DSCF3817.JPG

18. for now i decided to leave the tranny my dad and uncle put together back in till i do the conversion on the od tranny. here are some photos of it. they had chrome plated the side shifter plate they made. i cleaned it up and painted it to match the motor.
    DSCF3813.JPG DSCF3819.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. i wonder how many times they were told "you can't do that" or "that won't work" when they put this together? DSCF3821.JPG DSCF3822.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Ted your running out of room on the work bench! I like the way your going shinny paint yes. Whats this about the garage looking like someones basement? :eek:

21. That was in reference to me having Bob, 37Kid on about his basement.:D Hope Bob took it with the good humour I intended.;)

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  22. Yes, the work bench never seams big enough:cool:. i have to start putting this stuff back together.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oh, yes all in good fun, but my basement just got a bit smaller, Grandson turns 3 and his first battery powered car is taking up enough room to park a Harley. Should be great fun at Hershey watching him play autocross with the people. Bob

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Bob will your grandson need a window sticker for Hershey? The rent a cops are going to love the little battery powered car driving around the Chocolate field. ;)

25. tested the generator out, only thing i found wrong was a broken brush spring. i do not remember where i got this generator but it appears to have been rebuilt at one time. brushes looked like new, armature was trued, bushings had no play. i put it back together, added some ss hardware, and i am waiting for the new tag. DSCF3831.JPG DSCF3835.JPG DSCF3834.JPG DSCF3836.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. i also changed out two of the tie rod "balls" DSCF3837.JPG

27. here a photo of the horn button. i have never seen one like it, it is a little smaller than the one from the '32 column i have, or any of the others in my stash. it has a chrome outer edge and an ivory looking insert. could this be after market? DSCF3830.JPG

28. Looks like something from National Geographic.:eek:

29. your right! i wish the piece wasn't missing....

30. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

i say a horn button on e bay maybe a month or to iwas going to by it but it didnt look right now seeing yours im kicking my self for not buying it damb!!