Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 grill shell on Model-A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joliet Jake, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I have a 30 Model-A. The body and frame are complete and original. I want to install a 32 grill shell and grill. Has anyone on here done this? If so, was the Model-A four piece hood still able to be used? Since this car has pristine fenders and hood I would like to keep any modifications to a minimum.
    thanks

2. Use the seach feature, I'm sure you'll find all you need to no.:D

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

You can use the 32 grill shell with no problems along with the 30-31 hood and will fit nice. The headlight bar is going to touch the insert a bit so you might have to give it a tweek:D.
    The search thing sucks sometimes ,were you spend more time going thru fluff then substance.

Scott F. likes this.
  4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im on board with this idea too, still have and like my A shell..and yes Continentaljohn your right sometimes its just best to bring it back up and get a fresh look at things,
    speaking of fresh looks at things, how bout some of you guys that have the 32 shell on an A throw out some pictures and any ideas as to how you went about this modification.

5. DRD57

DRD57

I have a 32 shell that was cut on the lower corners so it could be fit to a Model A. I want to use it on a 32 again so, if you cut yours, save the pieces for me.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

They make a fiberglass phantom hood that makes the 32 grill into the A shell. Not sure how nice they are. Just an idea to toss out.

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Proof is in the picture:D

Attached Files:

8. frisco

frisco
    from Canton, NC

These old photos are from my old coupe back in 1961. '32 Ford grille and shell that I installed using the stock Model 'A' hood and side panels. This was a no modification bolt on swap. Works for '30 & '31 Model 'A's.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

is this a no go for the 28-29 A's?

10. frisco

frisco
    from Canton, NC

Not exactly. The stock '28-'29 hood will not match up to the '32 shell. Here is an old picture of a '29 roadster with a '32 shell. The hood top and sides were custom made. I had this in 1962.

Sorry for the quality of the photos. They are old.

Attached Files:

bschwoeble likes this.
  11. [​IMG]
    When I did this one, it was a stock Model A 4 piece hood. I set the grille to match the hood then mounted it. I had to pull the light bar slightly forward. I hooked a come a long to the bar and a pole and slowly worked it forward

12. RatBone

RatBone

heres mine, I had to cut the bottom corners a little to fit over the crossmember.

[​IMG]

13. Darwin

Darwin

I have seen one or two 30-31 As with 28-29 grille shells and they help capture a good bit of the earlier flavor that attracts so many to the first 2 Model A years. The later hood might well require a fair bit of work to fit properly though. To me, and many others, the early A shell is a design at least as timeless and graceful as the 32.

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Thanks to all that responded, you have answered my question.:D

15. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

I'm just starting this process with a 1930. Sounds like the grill shell is no problem, which radiator do I need to make everything work?

16. depends what motor that you are running.

17. The radiator neck needs to be in the correct location for the '32 shell. A good solution is to move the radiator filler under the hood and use a pressure cap. Remove the original neck from the radiator and make it flat on top. You can now use either a filled '32 shell or mount the '32 radiator cap to the shell using a strip of metal across the inside of the opening and a bolt to hold the cap on.

Charlie Stephens

18. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

I'm running a GM motor and the original A radiator is bad so I'm purchasing a new one and I just wanted to know whether to order a 30 or a 32 radiator. I agree with moving the filler under the hood, thanks for the help

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

My question is to mount the 32 grill on my 1930 Model A do I need to use a 30 or a 32 radiator or will the grill shell fit both ?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

My 30 still has the same modern radiator for a SBC, filler under hood. The 32 shell fit right over it and bolted on just like the 30 shell, I even kept the full hood.

hounddogjake likes this.
  21. 20160728_192149.jpg A 32 Shell will not fit on a 30 even without the hood.

22. Also remember the hinge for the hood is different. Which means the brackets are different. The Model A uses a round rod and the '32 uses a formed metal piece.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_6208 (1).jpg IMG_6211.jpg

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Could somebody who knows, please the post correct radiator height measurements (maximum) for both a 1929 & 30 model A using a 32 grille shell?

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Your posted pic's are not showing...

It was to hotrodprimer, but now I have closed and re-opened the HAMB page it seems to be showing now.

Sorry for not being so clear, I was wondering it is was a case of the photo bucket issues appearing again...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  25. Who are you directing you comment to or does it apply to everyone?

Charlie Stephens

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

1931 roadster - "32 grille shell- "A" radiator- fit almost perfect- hood needed tweaking DSCN2077.JPG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  27. mike bowling

mike bowling

'31 Tudor C-dan (running a 302 with a stock "A" radiator and electric fan) 12-29-11 083.jpg

28. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Mr48chev and hounddogjake like this.
  29. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

LSJUNIPER and JOYFLEA like this.