Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 ford sedan delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Bob, I'd say they are the same. Note how the back of the body has the same relationship to the gas tank, plus they used the same frame. I recall seeing one at an early Street rod Nationals owned by a long time '32 guy from MN, but not Bob Johnson. My '32 guru Frank Morawski was with me, and neither of us could see anything that would lead us to believe the quarters were different from a standard Tudor.

2. 37kid,

Reading through the build of Poteet's, they took 1 1/2 inches out of the doors and added it to the body, so don't use that one as a reference!

3. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Nice wheel chock!

4. yeah, that is strange...but all cars there had one in front of the left front tire

i took the photo at an early v-8 ford club regional event , must be a requirement?

i also found out recently from a good source that i was not a real delivery..i was faked. it must of been a good one because it fooled a lot of judges who gave it some high points

5. 2-TONED

2-TONED

we have one here. except it is just a 2 door sedan now as someone 'long ago' cut the back door out & unscrewed the window panels --- they welded their 2 door rear panel in ours (nice job) they switched them & i believe it is Jerry Johnsons old 32 delivery. -------- this i was told by a guy who was there & did some of the cutting & welding.----- who knows but ours does have the screw holes from where the side panels were in it & the back was welded in. -- ??????? ------------ i spent 6-7 hours getting it out of the middle of a junkyard where it was in a old 'moved in' garage for years i went & got it in the early 80s & it was like 4 or 5 or 600.00?? ---- we must of moved 20-30 tireless disabled cars to get that deuce out that day! :eek:

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Bob Ritchey (or Richie) was from the Minneapolis area, and had a very nice red '32 delivery around 1990.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Remember Old Cars Illustrated magazine that J.Neal East put out in the 1970's? This '32 Sedan Delivery was featured in the September 1979 issue. Built out of a Tudor with a real sedan Delivery used for measurments.

Attached Files:

8. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

I think Jerry Johnsons delivery went to Ed Belkengren and then Bob ritchie ended up with and still owns it.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

The sedan rear windows were filled in with a material called plymetal (thin plywood with sheet metal bonded to it. There are no differences in the rear 1/4 panels. Like I said it was just a common 2 dr. with the door cut in the rear. They had a fairly elaborate wooden structure. I'm sure Ford used an extra rear panel to make the door which over laps the opening, then folded the rear sheet metal over the wooden frame work which was then screwed together. I have the exact copy of Henrys wood kit for my conversion. When the shop in Mich gets done with the conversion it has fooled some very smart early V8 experts.

10. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

Krylon32 is right, I used the same wood kit for mine. Jerry Johnson's delivery is now in Fargo, ND, Bob Ritchie still has his in Mpls area, but his has a glass rear door. The restored one owned by Gene Hetland in Mpls and Poteet's both are converted 2 door sedans....but then all of the "real Henery's" were converted 2 doors also!!

11. roundvalley

roundvalley

O.T. Back in the '80s there were twin brothers that dealt alot of '32 parts. One drove a '32 brown sedan delivery or was it a '32 panel? Anyone remember. I heard it got totaled on hiway 5. Wonder if he made it?

12. Yup...that's the fellow I remember...Big Ed Belkengren. If I knew there was going to be a test, I would have taken better notes 40 years ago. Just think how dumb we'd all be without the combined memory of our HAMB family!!!

Long Live The HAMB

13. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

I just talked to Ron White and he said Jerrys delivery sold to Ed Belkengren and Ed sold it to Morrie Lamb from Nd. Bobs came from South Carolina originaly came in a trade with Dave Eckel.Jerrys car originaly came from the Saint Paul Police Dept. and had 6 - 8 booking tags they found in the rear of the vehicle when they got it.

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

They are the best! thats for sure.

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here is my friends new man made delivery with a kit from Doug McRae in Kansas. Jim Hendricks did the super metal work exactly like Henry did it. The rear latch and key are very difficult to duplicate. George made the latch and Jim made the die for the dimple in the belt line. No extra rear panel was needed or used by Ford.
    Nice work.

Attached Files:

16. Again... any measurements on the door/opening???

I'm looking for overall height/width and radius of the door ad opening.

Thanks, Bill

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I was told by the shop in Mich that he used the sedan rear panel cut oversize to make the door and added metal to the body to make the jam. You can see that process on their website. I have always assumed that Henry would use a center body section to make the door and just fold the body tin around the jam, it would have made the job easier. How stupid of me to have assumed that. Thankyou Pew for enlightening me.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

By the way not all 32 deliveries had the dimple for the rear lock. I saw both styles of rear door last week on original 32 deliveries.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I made another mistake I got the literature out of my truck today and it shows only 406 delivers were built. 348 4 cylinders and 58 V8s. Sorry

20. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I'll second that!:)

21. My old racing partner stopped by today with a snapshot, dated 1968, of Jerry Johnson's '32 delivery. Taken at a car show somewhere.

Attached Files:

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I know the son of the guy who originally had Jerry's 32 Delivery!
    People from the Minnesota area know Carl Zechbauer as a guy who can chop a mean top! His son John does excellent upholstery out of his home shop.
    Anyway, John and I were talking one day a few years ago about a 32 2 door project he was building. It was a replica for the street (and dirt track) of the 2 door his dad raced back in the mid/late 60's. He asked if I remembered the 32 Delivery that JJ had back then and I said sure. He said the stock car his dad originally raced was really AN ORIGINAL SEDAN DELIVERY BODY, and that his dad had sold all the sedan delivery parts to Jerry to convert a solid 2 door body onto a sedan delivery. It's been a few years since I heard the story from John, so I maybe a little foggy on the details. I trust John not to be a BS'er, so it's an interesting twist on the tale of one of the deliveries in the post...

23. titus

titus

Tom, your are correct, Carl zechbauer was hired by Jerry Johnson to do the switcharoo, Jerry's 32 sedan delivery body wasnt "up to par" so he bought a mint tudor body and had Carl cut the back panels out of both bodies and switch them out, and then remove the window panels and put them back in Johnson's delivery.

Carl went on to buy the ex sedan delivery body for a song and turn it into nailhead powered stock car on a buick chassis and kicked alot of but with it, they got in a bad wreck (wrecked the frame but not the body) and decided it wasnt worth the fixing and got rid of it.

so it disapeared, then you found it.

JEFF

24. That's a '32 Ford Panel Delivery (6,122 made) ... not a '32 Ford Sedan Delivery (392-400 made) ... big difference!

25. Yeah true.

I see the difference now...

Cheers....:)

26. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It's kind of neat. The body reminds me of a 1932 Chev panel van/truck in Auckland ,New zealand about 40 years ago.
    Would look good painted glossy black with a police logo. Just the ticket for towing the car out to lakes.
    [​IMG]
    Going on line in 1932....

27. I owned this one for a while. Its now getting a wood kit and is being mated to a tudor sedan.

Attached Files:

28. Also, that is a 1933 Panel delivery, not a '32. Look at the dash and firewall. Most of the 33's and almost as many 34's are always sold as 1932's. ( in the truck line)