Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Ford headlights on a Model A?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fixxxr, Mar 26, 2015.

1. All depends on what you're after...if you want a 'period correct' 60's build, then I'd locate as many 1960's photos as possible and study/copy every detail. I doubt you'll find many early-to-mid 60's rods running large non-sealed beam headlights...but if 'nostaliga' is your thing then you've got some "creative license".

Best of luck, hope to see more of your project!

Fixxxr likes this.
  2. 013.jpg I have 30/31s on my Roadster.

3. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Found this a long time ago. Love it.

Attached Files:

4. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427512764.875273.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427512847.680344.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427513286.157500.jpg

Fixxxr here it is after we finished it

Fedman likes this.
  5. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

no...original 32
    glass lenses are repop

7. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

I really dig the last 2.

8. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I went the opposite way. I run early A headlights on my '32. I like the smaller size, the shape (may have something to do with my fondness for perky boobs) and the flat lens. DrJ is right about smaller lights in the late '50s and 60's.

Fixxxr likes this.
  9. Fixxxr

Fixxxr
    from Sk, Canada

Hm, never even thought to use Model A's but they look pretty good!

10. Fixxxr
    I don't think that the era matters at all, guys have always used what they could get or afford. Maybe for instance the best looking car I had ever seen in a magazine was running King Bees, but what I had were deuce lights, even though I thought that the King bees were tits, I would be running deuce lights because I would much rather be running then waiting to have enough money to run.

I think that a big point that we have a tendency to miss we meaning me and anyone else that is willing to own up to it is that hot rods have always been economy and supply driven. Your don't eat porterhouse on a bologna budget.

Fixxxr likes this.
  11. I never cared much for those smaller lights even way back when. I like the larger lights. I think the 32 version is the perfect size. I believe they will look good on your A.
    Anything at all just about will beat those hideously grotesque looking E&J things that some people seem to think look good.

X38 and Fixxxr like this.
  12. I always liked the big '32 headlights b/c they were reminiscent of the big Classic era cars, like Bentleys and Duesenbergs and Lincolns. I never could understand why 98% of all '32 hot rod owners went with the smallest lights they could get; but then again when the industry switched to sealed beams, that's what became the standard. The only look I absolutely could not stand was the brief 70's fad for square headlights on rods.

bct and 56don like this.
  13. Mine.

Attached Files:

14. Don,
    I hate to admit it but I do like the look of a Deuce commercial light on an old hot rod. But I also have a soft spot for King Bees, I think that each light has its own requirements as far as rod style and one or the other will just look out of place on the wrong build.

15. Mo rust

Mo rust

I put 32 headlights on my model A roadster, but I put everything else 32 on it that I could think of also. Headlights on early Fords is like cup size on women. The bigger the better. R5.jpg

kidcampbell71 and LOU WELLS like this.
  16. CWTC10

CWTC10
    from Arab Al

With fenders a dropped bar is a must.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I was initially going to use 36 Ford headlights, but they were physically too big for my setup, the tires hit them.
    So I found an early set of autolamp model 101's. I think they look much better. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441475405.002023.jpg

F&J likes this.
  18. F&J

F&J

Can you share a pic of what the lights look like from the side of the truck? I like the old school look of where you put them too.

I'm wanting a light like what I had decades ago on a 50s built full fender car, but don't know what brand they were. Right now I have the long bullet shaped BLC, and they don't look right for my taste.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Searchlites' on rods. Might as well be pizzas.
    Arrow, Dietz, King Bee...Hot Rod headlights.
    Fog lamp housings and 5.5" sealed beam 2 filament lamps are for 'LEGAL' class drag street roadsters.
    E&J...Not for anything I can imagine. Unless it's Gallo. That's some good table wine.

20. You got that right Don,add me to the E&J headlights are fugly bunch.

I will say the only time I liked them is when I was cleaning out a storage building and found a pair and sold them for a nice chunk of change on E-gay.

I knew I wasn't going to use them and I was hoping for a hundred bucks or so,,,3 guys kept bidding them up till two said uncle. HRP

21. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

F&J,
    It's not a truck, but a 31 coupe on a 32 frame. Here's a side view for you. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441497694.383602.jpg

F&J likes this.
  22. F&J

F&J

Thanks for the info on the lights. I can search, now that I have the make and model