Register now to get rid of these ads!

$32 Dollar Budget Column Mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

Bib Overalls had this post several months back on using shaft collars for a column drop. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524958.

I was working on the same idea, and finally got mine completed this week on my F1 project, and thought I would share the results. I purchased two 1018 weldable shaft collars from McMaster Carr. Heres the link. http://www.mcmaster.com/#shaft-collars/=9fp9kx

On the top side I am using 1-3/4" ID to match my Limeworks column. The top side is welded to 1/8" plate with gussets and then hand filed to give it an older appearance.

On the lower end I welded one half of the collar to a piece of 2" X 3/16" plate. It is welded from the back side for a cleaner look. The plate fastens to the floor with 1/4-20's. Here's a few pics of the results.

Simple weldment with a fair amount of grinding and filing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Makes for simple lower mount. The hex heads will be replaced by recessed machine screws.
    [​IMG]

After the sheet metal was installed. The hole above is from an old Mustang column that was installed long ago. It is now filled.

[​IMG]

<!-- / message -->

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing.

3. Super! is it tech week yet?

4. Nice job! Did not think of McMaster Carr. But I will the next time.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is as sweet as it gets....very simple.

6. fatkoop

fatkoop

I keep a selection off shaft collars in my shop. I have used them for temporary shoulders on shafts or tubing, used them as drill stops, great for setting up carb linkage, welded a rod to one side to make a lathe dog, etc., you'd be surprised how many other uses you can find when they are around, very handy. They are also available in aluminum and stainless.

7. Roadsir

Roadsir

My favorite source for all kinds of fasteners, hardware etc.., thanks for your initial post on this..
    I've got some other ideas on how I can use some of these on my '34 project, another column drop, clamps to the frame tubes for exhaust brackets, small ones to attach an overflow tank to the hood support rods.

Thanks Todd, Maybe when I incorporate the ideas above....

8. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Bitchin'! This is exactly what I needed

Now where can I buy some talent..